Overland LJ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Even with the better hinges for your tail gate you are still mounting the Jeeps body. With the larger tire and added weight of the fuel can do you think that the body (where the hinges mount) can take all that added weight? As far as the CB mount do you plan on grounding it to the body?

No problem with added weight. The Exogate has a bracket to tie the top hinge into the base of the roll bar, and a plate to reinforce the tub at the bottom hinge.

TailgateTest1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So I finally decided on a cb antenna mount for the LJ. The exogate tire carrier I have from Gr8tops was designed by Jeff Scherb, many people on here know him for the awesome stuff he creates for wranglers. Well a company is selling his JK heavy duty hinges and als selling a CB antenna mount that goes along with it. I emailed Jeff to see if it will work with my tailgate hinges and he said it would!!! This is great because I can't use the passenger side teraflex mount due to the hinge reinforcements and I don't want the use the driver side one because I plan on getting a gobi roof rack and will have the access ladder on the driver side. Jeff also came up with a rotopax/cb antenna mount that would work with my hinges but since I have a 315 as a spare it work fit unless I do flush mounted tail lights.

Here is what the rotopax mount looks like, wish I could have used this but I just don't have the room between my tire and tail light for it.
View attachment 306924

Update on this... I've recently done a prototype set of "wide swing" hinges for the TJ; they also work with the Exogate. The hinge pivot point is moved 3" outboard, so when the tailgate is opened there's 3 extra inches of space to hang things on the tailgate without hitting the tail light.

Here's a new prototype wide-swing hinge compared to a standard Exogate hinge that's been in service on my Jeep for almost 5 years:

WideSwingHingeCompare_zpse4h5mxa6.jpg

These hinges can also be installed on a stock Jeep without an Exogate.

A Hi-Lift mount with CB antenna installed on the wide-swing hinges:

TJHiLift1_zpsqxgnfd7s.jpg

TJHiLift4_zpsctws9qee.jpg

A 5-liter NATO can mounted to the wide-swing hinges:

TJHingeMount1_zpscdmmeazh.jpg

In both cases the tailgate opens fully without the HiLift or the NATO can hitting the tail light.

The Rotopax carrier you posted a photo to would also fit with these hinges.

I'm also playing with the idea of a universal mounting grid that would work with these hinges (the NATO can holder in the photo above is mounted to the grid):

HingeGrid1_zpshurd6qcl.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
My advice would be figure out how to take less as opposed to how to fit more. The LJ will have some more storage space but not much and I don't think it will have much more passenger space.

I have picked up more useable space in my TJ by ditching the center console and using a small ammo box and locking box. I can fit a duffel bag where the center console was. A duffel bag will hold allot more then the center console can. The center console wastes allot of space and provides very little storage area. I also made a shelf up front. If you really need space for more than two (for any extended period of time) a rack or trailer are about your only option.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
With those hinges a tailgate table , finally looks useful. Keep us posted!!!

Will do. A company has already signed up to manufacture and market the wide-swing hinges, I'd expect they'll be available shortly after the first of the year.

And speaking of tailgate tables, the same company has signed up to do the tailgate storage compartment/trail table I designed a while back, they were showing a pre-production prototype a few weeks ago at SEMA. They were showing it on a JK tailgate but it also fits a TJ tailgate.

StoreGate_zpsxpyjress.jpg

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Thank you for what you do Sherb. I have the exogate on my LJ and it is rock solid. Can't tell you how much I love this product.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Company or link or ???
Will do. A company has already signed up to manufacture and market the wide-swing hinges, I'd expect they'll be available shortly after the first of the year.

And speaking of tailgate tables, the same company has signed up to do the tailgate storage compartment/trail table I designed a while back, they were showing a pre-production prototype a few weeks ago at SEMA. They were showing it on a JK tailgate but it also fits a TJ tailgate.

StoreGate_zpsxpyjress.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you for what you do Sherb. I have the exogate on my LJ and it is rock solid. Can't tell you how much I love this product.

I'm glad you like it, thanks!

Company or link or ???

I'm meeting with the company Tuesday so maybe I'll hear differently then but the last I heard both the TJ wide-swing hinges and the tailgate storage compartment/trail table should be available shortly after the first of the year. It's likely both will be available from a number of retailers; I can point people in the right direction when they are released.

piratenation90

Adventurer
Updates

So it has been a longggggg time since I posted in this tread, mainly been lurking. I am going to post a couple of updates in the next few days, there have been A LOT.

piratenation90

Adventurer
I finally mounted my CB up just before Christmas. Went with a Cobra 75WX unit with a 3' 650w firestick. The CB antenna mount is the MorRyde mount that is for their JK hinges. Install was fairly easy and wiring everything up was simple.
IMG_5011.jpgIMG_3267 (600x800).jpgIMG_4131.jpgIMG_4135.jpgIMG_4132.jpgIMG_4129.jpgIMG_5011.jpgIMG_4130.jpgIMG_4138.jpgIMG_4137.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5011.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3267 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_3267 (600x800).jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4138.jpg
    IMG_4138.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

piratenation90

Adventurer
Front bumper and winch

For Christmas my family got me the ARB stubby Quadratec edition bumper that I have been wanting for awhile. It was between the ARB and the JCR. I like the smoother lines of the ARB bumper. I also like the stubby ARB better than the full width version, plus at $530 the quadratec edition bumper is ant $400 cheaper than the full width version. The install was really easy and only took about 30 minutes to install the old bumper and install the ARB. I went with a SuperWinch TigerShark 11.5K SR, it is the updated synthetic rope version that has a drum designed to handle synthetic. I have used it quite a few times and have been really pleased with it! Pulled quite a few people out of ditches with it during the bad snow storm we got in the southeast in Jan of this year. Install was pretty straight forward and went smoothly.

IMG_4059.jpg
IMG_4057.jpg
IMG_4060.jpg
IMG_4061.jpg
IMG_4063.jpg
IMG_4064.jpg
IMG_4065.jpg
IMG_4067.jpg
IMG_4071.jpg
IMG_4073.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads