Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
An 18" factory Land Rover wheel on an LR4? Yes

View attachment 144864

I am still not completely settled on a final configuration and may still install 1.25" wheel spacers. One interesting byproduct of lifting the truck is the slight reduction in track width. With the truck taller and heavier, I wouldn't mind having a 2.5" total track width increase.

I am REALLY looking forward to having 18s on this truck for trail work. The 20s looked nice, but were a joke on anything remotely technical (including rocks, mud, snow, sand, blah, blah)

I spent a little time looking at some info on the Compomotive 18x8 wheels for the LR4 and noted that the offset is +44mm, standard is +53, so there's a track increase of 18mm. Given the sensitivity that the LR3/4 has about wheel alignment, I wonder how changing the track would effect that?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor

It was bone stock on street tires.

I truly think it was the tire compound and extra weight that helped the LR4. The chunky mud tires on the D2 were not very effective in these icy conditions and made this particular hill more difficult
BUT
And it is a big BUT
the TC stopped the wheels on the LR4 from spinning and kept the truck tracking straight. I'm sure this was also a large factor in the LR4's success

Scott Brady

Founder
That video reflects wheelbase and IFS/IRS. Perfect environment for an LR4. The SWB, ground clearance, etc of the DII will shine in other areas. There is no perfect truck

Howski

Did the DII have a lockers? I know lockers can have a tendancy to make trucks slip if driving on a slick, off camber incline which would be compounded by the ice in this case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior