Overland Journal Project Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4)

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I actually believe it's the only bumper available in North America for the LR4.

Actually, Tactical Rovers has a bumper for the LR4.
I have their bumper on my LR3. I was torn between the two, but ultimately I preferred the better approach angle, and replacing ALL of the plastic with metal.
Their LR4 bumper just hit the market a few weeks ago.

IMG_0559.jpg

ndrenfro

I have built up my LR4 with many of the same mods you are working on. I would highly recommend the Rover Specialties rock sliders. These sliders are great because the go under the vehicle about a foot and thus protect the very important pump for the air suspension. With these sliders, a full set of skid plates, and bigger tires on 18" wheels, my LR4 did great in Moab earlier this year, tackling the trifecta of PSM/GS/GBR. The skids and underbody protection were essential as they got pretty beaten up.

IMG_5590.jpg

Did you consider the Devon 4x4 hidden winch mount? That is what i went with and have been really impressed. It keeps the look clean and simple. You dont lose any angles up front. And i believe it is what was on the Millionth Disco journey.

I look forward to seeing the progress of this build.

ndrenfro

Also instead of trying to "fit" LR 18" wheels, you could just go with the Compomotive wheels which i believe are the only 18" wheels that will clear the brake calipers.

Humvette

Adventurer
Great thread!!! I want one for my wife. We test drove one and really liked it. I would like it to be a pure Overland vehicle where my Hummer is a little extreme ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
We are pretty convinced that a factory 18" wheel will work on the LR4 with a few minor adjustments. We will post our findings.

khronus79

Adventurer
Interested on seeing the 33.5"s and your solutions for their known problems. I'm debating on tire size right now and 33"s are on top of my list

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Actually, Tactical Rovers has a bumper for the LR4.
I have their bumper on my LR3. I was torn between the two, but ultimately I preferred the better approach angle, and replacing ALL of the plastic with metal.
Their LR4 bumper just hit the market a few weeks ago.

That's a nice looking bumper. Probably more solidly built than the ARB too.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
What are our initial plans?

Protection: This truck needs protection to save the expensive sheetmetal.
1. ARB Front Bumper
2. Kaymar Rear Bumper
3. Aluminum Rocker Protection
4. Skid Plates for soft bits underneath

Ground Clearance:
1. Johnson Rods for 2.5" 'lift'. You basically gain 'normal mode' ride height clearance by stealing extension travel.
2. Taller tires. 32.5" diameter to start. 33.5" on 18s to follow.

Recovery:
1. Front and rear recovery points
2. Warn 9.5 winch with synthetic line

Loading and Lashing:
1. Custom drawer system for sleeping and equipment storage
2. Lashing points
3. Aluminum roof rack

Additional Items:
1. 50L Fridge (of course, and the fridge in the arm rest just isn't big enough for a few pounds of Ribeyes)
2. HID lights
3. Comprehensive recovery and tool kit
4. Full compliment of support equipment (we have learned a lot about what works from our round-the-world trip).
5. Seat covers
6. Navigation
7. 2M radio
8. Possibly an awning

We are also going to test out a few other projects, including fitting factory LR 18" wheels and constructing a polyurethane emergency 'lift kit' that we can install easily in the field should the air suspension fail or fault.

The most important decision is where we are going to take it first. I am thinking Southern Utah in December to stretch its legs a bit.

An LR3/4 set up like this must weigh 4 tons, maybe more with a full load of people. I remember when Jeremy Clarkson tested the LR3 he joked that if you fully load one and pull a trailer, you technically need the equivalent of a class B CDL to drive it on the road. With the Jaguar turbo diesel, Top Gear found it to be somewhat of a dog. True, the gas truck has 400 hp on tap, but pulling 4-5 tons, even that kind of power gets tamed pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
very interested in this...can you expand on what this "lift kit" is and will do?

We want to prove out the concept, but it will be a series of tall polyurethane (progressive) bump stops that can be installed between the a-arm and frame, allowing a slow-speed extraction option for the vehicle. The goal is to ensure confidence while traveling, even if the air suspension fails that we can get back to the road and a town for proper repair.

We promise to detail the entire kit and process once proven out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles