Overland Journal: G-Wagen

michaelgroves

Explorer
Crossed-axle articulation (within reason) is a critical component of traction and vehicle stability off-highway. The function/benefit of an anti-swaybar is only realized at speed.

A vehicle with limited articulation (think X5 as an extreme example) will be inherently less stable and more likely to lose control or roll on the trail, for the specific reason that once an axle has reached its travel limit, that corner will unload, then lift, causing the vehicle to shift weight and stability without the benefit of damping. The G-Wagen is inherently less stable than a Land Rover for this reason. Once at the limits of articulation travel, the vehicle lacks the damping effect of shock stroke and the stabilizing and ground pressure effect of sprung axle movement.

Axle differential locks are the Gs greatest strength. Its lack of articulation is its greatest weakness.

This is not to say that axle articulation is the ultimate attribute, it is just a factor, but one that must be understood and capitalized on. There are limits to the positive effects of axle articulation, as ground pressure is key to traction and uncoupled-excessive droop will create other problems with spring retention, axle-steer, etc.

Concisely put!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I have also researched the fitment of a Currie Anti-Rock, which looks like it could work.

Scott, before committing to the AntiRock also look at ORO Swyaloc.

It is switchable from stiff to soft from in the cab. It seems like a more elegant solution for how we use our trucks (vs 'wheelin').

Here' the link:

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/swayloc/index.shtml

I only found out about the product this morning. I have no idea how year 'round friendly the parts are, I'm thinking winter road spray in particular.

Scott Brady

Founder
I found this picture from the first test/trail run with the G. I like it (Chris shot the image).
gwag1.jpg

We are starting to plan a few updates to this truck, including 2M radio, new winch, a FrontRunner rack and new tires. After that, probably a set of sliders. These trucks really do not need much.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
its a nice shot, but it looks like your reaching to ********** a child in the back seat, you need to be more professional:victory:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thats a sweet picbut ^^^^ Yeah he's right HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA It does look like you're dolling out an attitude adjustment to the back seat HAHAHAHAHA. I can't wait to see what the new parts do for her, these trucks are so cool, I'm really loving this G-Wag section and all the awesome rigs that we're getting to see. Keep it coming Scott.

Cheers

Dave

Scott Brady

Founder
What is fuel economy like with the Brabus 3.6?

Even hyper-mile efforts will yield barely 16-17mpg. Most tanks are in the 10-12mpg range. And while the performance is adequate (I am used to driving small V6 vehicles), the 5,000+ lb heft keeps things - reserved. Torque is impressive though, and the truck will pull most long grades with little effort.

Brabus lists the motor at 285HP and about the same torque.

Scott Brady

Founder
We had a little fun with the G in Sedona today (Stephanie's family was in town).

This truck was entirely unfazed by everything, even with the hard Michelins at street pressure. The silly Pink Jeep people mostly stared with mouth agape.

G-Klass_.jpg

G-Klass_%20(1).jpg

G-Klass_%20(2).jpg

G-Klass_%20(3).jpg

Overall, I am starting to love the G. It has all the uniqueness/cache and comfort of the Rovers, but superior performance in stock form with a much more robust, reliable drivetrain. 9/10ths Toyota reliability in an interesting package.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced the G500 has the same potential. I just need to find an older diesel 460 - white of course ;)

Indiana Drew

Observer
We had a little fun with the G in Sedona today (Stephanie's family was in town).

This truck was entirely unfazed by everything, even with the hard Michelins at street pressure. The silly Pink Jeep people mostly stared with mouth agape.

Overall, I am starting to love the G. It has all the uniqueness/cache and comfort of the Rovers, but superior performance in stock form with a much more robust, reliable drivetrain. 9/10ths Toyota reliability in an interesting package.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced the G500 has the same potential. I just need to find an older diesel 460 - white of course ;)

Scott:

Unless you just want the basics of a 460, a 2002 MBUSA truck will likely be less expensive in the long run then restoring a 460 to similar condition. By the time I get my 1980 280GE SWB in the condition I would like it, I would guess I will have more in it than what I could sell '02 truck for and the 1980 will never bring that kind of money were I to sell it. Of course as I hope not to care about the practical, I guess it is does not matter. I also know lots of us that have taken 100,000 mile plus MBUSA trucks out in some pretty remote areas ...

Your 36 looks spectacular!

haven

Expedition Leader
"The silly Pink Jeep people mostly stared with mouth agape."

I assume you're referring to Pink Jeep customers, rather
than employees.

dclee

Observer
Scott:

Unless you just want the basics of a 460, a 2002 MBUSA truck will likely be less expensive in the long run then restoring a 460 to similar condition. By the time I get my 1980 280GE SWB in the condition I would like it, I would guess I will have more in it than what I could sell '02 truck for and the 1980 will never bring that kind of money were I to sell it. Of course as I hope not to care about the practical, I guess it is does not matter.

x2

I don't even want to think about what I've got in my truck right now. However, it is Scott's 460 LWB in white, and it's a California titled and registered diesel, so I figure that's worth something...

Indiana Drew

Observer
x2

I don't even want to think about what I've got in my truck right now. However, it is Scott's 460 LWB in white, and it's a California titled and registered diesel, so I figure that's worth something...

That is worth a ton ... The SWB has some value in uniqueness - I guess the Cabrios have historically held the highest value. Wish there were a data base of sales ...

Scott Brady

Founder
I do like the MBUSA trucks, but I have love for the 460 with the mechanical diesel. That might be the truck I take the rest of the way around the world (though just a plain Jeep JK Rubicon or Brute are still in contention). I can also see buying a 500 for Stephanie. She would love it. I just do not want to be in the middle of Ecuador and have to fly in a technician with a test book. It is unlikely to happen, but could.

The beauty of the 460 is that they are legal here in the US, as is the diesel motor. I still think the 70 is an overall better choice (being purely practical), but I like the idea of the MB.

Steve's truck is sweet.
attachment.php

Attachments

• fresh_paint_G.jpg
    fresh_paint_G.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,423

Indiana Drew

Observer
I do like the MBUSA trucks, but I have love for the 460 with the mechanical diesel. That might be the truck I take the rest of the way around the world (though just a plain Jeep JK Rubicon or Brute are still in contention). I can also see buying a 500 for Stephanie. She would love it. I just do not want to be in the middle of Ecuador and have to fly in a technician with a test book. It is unlikely to happen, but could.

The beauty of the 460 is that they are legal here in the US, as is the diesel motor. I still think the 70 is an overall better choice (being purely practical), but I like the idea of the MB.

I understand the motivation - ideally my 460 would be rust free, repainted and have a few hundred blown, mechanical horses ... With a garage full of parts, I'll let you know when there is a plan for the engine ... Too bad Wankel never perfected the diesel rotary ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles