Overland Journal: G-Wagen

PH4

Observer
Looks like the repaint came out really nice.
I agree that the 18" Ashtaroths work really well at 33" and over tire sizes. I ran them for 7 or 8 years that way on some epic trips.

In your experience do the 18 inch ride as well as the 16 inch rims? Was thinking about switching from 18 to 16 but if it makes little difference will save the money. Advice/experience appreciated. I would like a softer ride around town.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I think the ride is pretty equivalent with 33" tires. The biggest difference is when you are aired down and there is an extra inch of space between your alloy rim and a rocky ledge. So the 16" rim would be better for offroading.

If you are using a stock 30.5" tire size of 265/60/18 or 265/70/16, the 16's would be a better ride.

Scott Brady

Founder
A few recent trips with the G-Wagen. Still love this truck, even ten years in...

Baja Sur
35541663_10157555059028275_8061711171448733696_o.jpg

A remote mission track in Baja Norte
26169037_10157044520913275_6153655082323574564_n.jpg

New Years Eve- Baja
26113735_10157025169998275_6878082734588304670_n.jpg

SonnyTheElder

Nice! It looks like you've switched the headlights and surrounds, fog lights, and grille for the more contemporary versions. Looks good either way!

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice! It looks like you've switched the headlights and surrounds, fog lights, and grille for the more contemporary versions. Looks good either way!
Yeah... In hindsight, an unnecessary expense. The headlights are only marginally better, but I do like how they look ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
WOW Scott, is that Comb Ridge (promontory point) there??!?? (I'll keep it a secret)

greynolds

Observer
Wherever it is, it's beautiful. I'd LOVE to live in that part of the country, but my job (which could obviously be changed), friends, and family (tougher to get my parents to relocate...) are here in the Boston area. Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming are my favorite places to visit when I travel. I just returned home from a trip to Glacier and the surrounding area. Just can't get enough of that...

You've treated your G-Wagen well, Scott and have also done a fantastic job with the photography. I always enjoy seeing the photos you share with us.

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
Back when you first got the truck you mentioned that you were trying to remove the factory alarm system/disabler, did you ever have any luck with that? What steps did you end up taking?

jtrein

Back when you first got the truck you mentioned that you were trying to remove the factory alarm system/disabler, did you ever have any luck with that? What steps did you end up taking?

Check the G Wagen forums outside of expedition portal and you should be able to find the answer. Lots of people have removed them so they don't get stuck in the backcountry.

otiswesty

Regular guy
You can bypass the immobilizer and go to a flat key by attaching the flip key RFID chip to the back of the ignition fascia and installing modern RF locking system in place of the the original IR remote system. Another option is to reconfigure the ECU to ignore the immobilizer input and continue to use flipkey and IR remote lock system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles