Overland Journal: G-Wagen

McBride

Adventurer
Is the EarthRoamer the Ford based unit or the Jeep Wrangler?

Arizona has several stunning routes. Assuming the EarthRoamer is the big one, I would start with FR24 North out of Phoenix, then up Bloody Basin road, then west to Crown King, then North to Prescott via the Senator Highway, followed by Perkinsville Road into Jerome, 525 into Sedona, then north up Schnebly Hill Road into Flagstaff. If you still have time, the Mogillon Rim Road could be combined with a drive back east into New Mexico. Much of this will be weather dependent. If there is snow, you will need to stay south. There are some beautiful routes in the Sonoran Desert I can share as well.

Please stop by the office in Prescott. I am in Iceland late January, but around the rest of the month.

Scott,

Thanks. It's the ford based unit he bought this spring. Our primary objective is the "southern deserts" (Chihuahuan and Sonoran). Any data on how to best see southern Arizona on primarily dirt roads, east to west, would be much appreciated. Weather permitting well hit the Rim and possibly some of the other route you suggested on our return and then head north thru Navajo Land and work our way north thru eastern AZ.

I was thinking of entering AZ around the Chiracauha range and skeleton canyon and then heading west if there is a good dirt route.

Also, any advice on avoiding any potential border related smuggling hotspots would definitely be heeded.

We have the first couple of weeks in January to roam around. I'd love to stop by your headquarters to meet you and any staff that might be around and check out the trucks.

Thanks again.

William

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Just purchased ANOTHER G - '09 G 550. My first G was an '09 G55, which was great, but had a bit more power than I probably needed for trail work. I am going with the springs for a ~2" lift, and am running KM2's right now on the 18" rims until I make up my mind on wether or not I am going to go with Hutchinsons or not. Anybody out there having issues running this setup and the TC? the 55 didn't seem like it had much of an issue, but almost all of it's time with me was on dry pavement and slick rock out in Moab - this truck is coming right in to an Iowa winter, and I am having a bit of concern on the TC kicking in on the snow and ice. Anyone out there done this and having any issues? Scott - I know you have done some snow and ice running with your 500 - any issues or a bypass for the entire system? Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Brady

Founder
10689510_10153459985338275_3017657583848053976_n.jpg

Earning its keep.

1v6pony

Adventurer
Hey Scott,
Thought I would say Hello, I thought i recognized you today from the forum , then when I saw your rig in the avatar it clicked..
I am the guy that drove by and said how I liked your JKbrute, and Expo Rig, I was in a Tundra with real estate posts...
My other toy is a 1966 Jeepster Commando.
Anyway Hello
Brad,

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Scott,
Thought I would say Hello, I thought i recognized you today from the forum , then when I saw your rig in the avatar it clicked..
I am the guy that drove by and said how I liked your JKbrute, and Expo Rig, I was in a Tundra with real estate posts...
My other toy is a 1966 Jeepster Commando.
Anyway Hello
Brad,

Right on! Great to have another forum member in Prescott :)

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Scott Brady

Hello,
I see you have got a quite a knowledge of the G.
I am going to step in the overland world and think of a car.
I was considering to buy a G- Class, but seems rather expensive than Jeep.
Which model would you suggest?
What I have heard is that the current model of G-class has over-complicated electricity and are not very reliable (compare to Toyota).
But I was told that there is an old version from 1998-2000 that has least amount electrical features and known for its reliability and simplicity.
I don't know whether it is true or not, because I never owned one.
Let say, if one was about to get a G-class ( available in the US) which model/version would you suggest?

Cheers!
David

Scott Brady

Founder
David, I am far from a G expert, but certainly have my opinion :)

I would find a Europa 463 with a diesel or the 3.2L. All the comfort and refinement you need, but none of the electronic issues. I would certainly buy a newer G-Wagen, but only with a 6.3L, because the only thing that can make a G-Wagen more ridiculous is a supercharger. . .

Don Raptor

Observer
the G63 is actually not at 6.3 but at 5.5 ;-)
and the current G63/5.5 has two turbos... so better get the G65 --> more power is always... safer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000