Overland Journal Classic Build: 1995 Range Rover

gjackson

FRGS
Now that Scott has completed (?) his Discovery build that was featured both here and in the Journal, it is time to introduce the new Overland Journal project vehicle. Kindly donated to the cause by Land Rover Las Vegas, this will be a pretty simple, budget build of what is arguably the best example of the Range Rover Classic, and the pinnacle of that classic line, the 1995 SWB. (For you LWB lovers, I think Bob Burns said it best: "The Range Rover only comes in one wheel base.")

Here is the truck the day I picked it up from Land Rover Las Vegas:

attachment.php

The vehicle was mostly stock as supplied. A spring conversion had been done to remove the air suspension, but that is all. Factory bull bar was removed at LRLV and given to one of the techs for his RRC; we will use something a bit more robust. Paint is Epsom Green, and having lived under the sun for so long, the clear coat on bonnet and roof is destroyed. That will be addressed later.

Plans for the build and progress will be forthcoming, but some of the companies on board at this point are:

Land Rover Las Vegas
RoverTracks
ARB USA
Columbia Overland
Equipt
JC's Rovers
RoverDude

Stay tuned!

cheers

Attachments

• RRC1.JPG
    RRC1.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 2,037
Last edited:

czenkov

Adventurer
Nice! You should talk Equipt into prototyping some Escape Gear seat covers for the Classic. Been thinking of getting one of these myself - and a set of seat covers would be a must. Looking forward to the build.

gjackson

FRGS
I've talked to both Ben and Paul about that, and I think interest is growing. With any luck soon there will be enough requests to get it done!

cheers

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I am in for a set (as Ben and Paul know!) if they do, however, the seats on my 89 and the seats on the 95 are (only) slightly different.

Dendy

Thor

Observer
I've been considering a Front Runner Wind Cheetah flat aluminum rack for my RR mk1.

Will you use one of these? I need to fit it between 73" (rain gutter) and 81" (garage door opening).

Will this one be a bit larger than the 2" OME 235/85 Overlanding build?

I'd be interested as I like obstacles but also like overlanding and I run 3.5 SG springs with 315/75r16 KM2.

It would be fun to read about a good go at a cross vehicle? Maybe I'm the only one.

sorry... chemo rambling taking effect...

Good rig choice Graham!
Thor

Wander

Expedition Leader
Hey if you guys need something to practice on, I'll let you work on my DI for free!

Nice looking RRC-always liked that epsom green.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Having owned both SWB and LWB versions of the RRC, I will disagree with what Bob Burns said.

But, I know you will make a killer truck, it's not too far from where you want it already. The RRC is the most under-rated expo-truck there is...well, next to the Samurai.

gjackson

FRGS
I am in for a set (as Ben and Paul know!) if they do, however, the seats on my 89 and the seats on the 95 are (only) slightly different.

Lucky for you I'll be using 89 seats in this truck. I'm trying to minimize both weight and electronics, so the seats will be manual.

Having owned both SWB and LWB versions of the RRC, I will disagree with what Bob Burns said.

I know people love the LWB RRCs and they are really nice. I just love the old SWB, and I already have a 110, so no need for another. :wings:

cheers

rover4x4

Adventurer
Lucky for you I'll be using 89 seats in this truck. I'm trying to minimize both weight and electronics, so the seats will be manual.

I know people love the LWB RRCs and they are really nice. I just love the old SWB, and I already have a 110, so no need for another. :wings:

cheers

Maybe then you shouldnt be hacking up a 95?

Ronct110

Adventurer
Will this one be a bit larger than the 2" OME 235/85 Overlanding build?

I'd be interested as I like obstacles but also like overlanding and I run 3.5 SG springs with 315/75r16 KM2.

It would be fun to read about a good go at a cross vehicle?

Nice project Graham!

I like the cross vehicle idea also (go anywhere RRC obstacles and overlanding).

255/85/16s KM2s (33s) is another option or suggestion - more common vs 315/75s (34s) .

Looking forward to reading your build and progress!

seashore

Observer
I'll be watching this thread carefully as I embark on building my 95 LWB (another vote for the extra 8"). 255/85's are my plan.

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior