Overland Journal: 1995 Range Rover Classic

A.J.M

Explorer
There is something about a nice original unmolested Classic. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, but there is just something about them.

Glad this one is being kept original. It's went this long so would be a shame to ruin what is a well cared for example.

Scott Brady

Founder
All of the older Land Rovers were perfect from the factory. Realizing that is like reaching Nirvana.

Original Michelins too. Talk about finding Nirvana. That is my current challenge, finding the right tire. I am sold on the 215/85, but even the new Michelins look off.
Gallery%20Hero%20LTX%20MS2%201-%203Q.jpg

Last edited:

Blueboy

Adventurer
I am sold on the 215/85

we had that size on our '93LWB for awhile.

very nice when the Rover was empty or lightly loaded.

at the time BFG TracEdges were available and this was a great all purpose tire.

Blueboy

Adventurer
All of the older Land Rovers were perfect from the factory

To a degree I agree with this, yet, it really depends for what purpose one uses the Rover.

A mild lift 1.5 to 2" allows for a slightly taller tire i.e. 235/85.

We travel pretty heavy on our trips and the extra tire width makes the Rover handle better.

A stainless steel exhaust also lasts longer than the OEM one.

Our 4.2 engine has been replaced with a RPI 4.6 which helps on the Alp mountain roads again traveling heavy.

However, other than that everything else on our '94LWB is as it left the factory.

Exploder
Original Michelins too. Talk about finding Nirvana. That is my current challenge, finding the right tire. I am sold on the 215/85, but even the new Michelins look off.
Gallery%20Hero%20LTX%20MS2%201-%203Q.jpg

I don't know, Scott. That is awfully close to the old pattern.

XJLI

Adventurer
old tires are great for nostalgia and all, but i don't mind forgoing that for more modern tread design.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Scott: I don't see much talk on EP about Dunlop tires, but I had great luck with Dunlop Radial Rover A/Ts and M/Ts on my classic, but my very favorite tire was the Dunlop Radial Rover R/T. This is a nice mix between the A/T and the M/T. Not an overly aggressive tread, but enough when you need it.

You can see some image examples here of the A/T: (not my truck but others)

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f38/darktari-all-dressed-up-7370/

http://www.jpurnell.com/rr/RangeRoverTires3.htm

This is what the R/T looks like (just the tire):
58.jpg

Blueboy

Adventurer
very similar to the BFG TracEdge which was also a great all purpose tire.

much better imho than the Michelin XPC 4X4 which I think was OEM in 1995.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, Stu, the LTX is the closest I can find so far. Would love the find this set of 7.5s!
Michelin_750R16_XPC_new_5.JPG

Thanks to everyone else for the tire and modification suggestions. I have the Disco, G, and Brute for more serious trails. This Range Rover is just going to be a simple, restored Sunday driver. I want it to look essentially stock, with just slightly taller springs and 215/85 tires.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I love XPC's. They got such a bad rap back in the day but I think they performed pretty well in everything except deep mud. It was a proper tire for a Range Rover - wish they still fitted them from the factory.

LR Max

Local Oaf
X2 for Dunlop A/Ts. My dad had those on his D1. Did GREAT for everything other than mud (but that is to be expected). Rode well, quiet, and was acceptable for basic fire road/access road work. Of course keep it out of the swamps and freshly plowed fields but that is to be expected.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
X2 for Dunlop A/Ts. My dad had those on his D1. Did GREAT for everything other than mud (but that is to be expected). Rode well, quiet, and was acceptable for basic fire road/access road work. Of course keep it out of the swamps and freshly plowed fields but that is to be expected.

"Great for everything other than mud"
That is why I used the R/T's. They had a street tread (essentially) with a slight side wall bite. They were very quiet.
If I wasn't running BFGs A/T's (due to durability), I would be running these tires again.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94