Overland Journal: 1995 Range Rover Classic

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I love Range Rover. Just sold a 94' LWB with 108K on the ticker. Not as nice as that one though.

10653400_10152368044960028_2117322777516467554_n.jpg

Mack73

Adventurer
I'd love to get my hands on a '95. But the only thing that scares me is the availability of parts.... like the front windshield.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
One of my favorite looks for these is an ARB bumper while retaining the air dam with fog lights. It's not practical for four wheeling but looks great and does the trick for deer strikes.

1995_Range_Rover_Classic_SWB_4x4_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

And new mudflaps for it all around! Bonus points for converting back to EAS.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Nice choice Scott. The very first time I went to work in Mali, our local coordinator had one in his garage (SWB I believe). it was all packed and ready to head out at any moment in case we had to leave in an emergency.

I guess I could see myself owning one of these...

;)

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Thanks guys.

A few more images from the trip home.

View attachment 251736
The VLA. Impressive in person

Soctt the next time you drive by the VLA you need to check out the Enchanted Tower. Its a really amazing climbing area just about 5 miles west of Datil, NM. The Tower is one of the coolest Rock formation in the lower 46 and the Forest road that services it is a nice mild drive too. Just love me to New Mexico!

by the way the Rangie is beautiful too.

Sahararover

I owned a '93 Ardennes Green SWB RRC, a sofa on wheels...it's great in stock condition but it definitely needs a rear diff beef up.

I don't know if a rear True Track is going to work correctly with the viscous center diff...

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks guys. Starting to collect some restoration pieces now and deciding on a new set of tires (most urgent).

The TruTrack will work ok with the viscous center. It will also compliment the factory rear traction control. The rear axle needs a new pinion seal anyways, so might as well give the whole axle some love, including a traction aid. No intentions of using this vehicle for rough stuff, so a simple LSD will be a nice addition.

voyagenland

Observer
I confirm,a rear true track work really ok with the viscous center.very surprising where you can go with good tires!!
i got one on my classic.very smooth!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Scott, for the springs to raise the suspension back to the original Range Rover Classic height, with mild loads in mind, try the factory rally specification springs, as used in the Paris-Dakar trucks. The part numbers are NRC 2119 (green stripe) for the front and NRC 4304 (red/white stripe) for the rear. I have used these on two of my Rangies and they are the perfect all around springs. Great flex and handling without sway bars but not too stiff as to ruin the proper Range Rover feel. Old Man Emu and such are great for heavy expedition loads but so stiff as to defeat the concept of the Range Rover in my opinion.

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, for the springs to raise the suspension back to the original Range Rover Classic height, with mild loads in mind, try the factory rally specification springs, as used in the Paris-Dakar trucks. The part numbers are NRC 2119 (green stripe) for the front and NRC 4304 (red/white stripe) for the rear. I have used these on two of my Rangies and they are the perfect all around springs. Great flex and handling without sway bars but not too stiff as to ruin the proper Range Rover feel. Old Man Emu and such are great for heavy expedition loads but so stiff as to defeat the concept of the Range Rover in my opinion.

Very cool insights. As I understand it, the Range Rover was lowered about 2" over earlier models in the late 80s or early 90s. When you look at the early trucks, no doubt they had more clearance from the factory. I like the idea of genuine (but taller and slightly stiffer) springs and shocks. Stick with the 215/85 and possibly install a trutrac in the rear. That will be about perfect.

Speaking of perfect. . .
Land_Rover-Range_Rover_Classic_mp29_pic_74067.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles