Overland-ish Tacoma Flippac Build

Clutch

<---Pass
What are going to be the camping arrangements with the new flat bed? At least it looks like the beginnings of a flatbed. Is it going to be still too small for a family of 4?

Think you might need a bigger truck. ;) :D

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
The Flippac was actually big enough for our family since the mattress was completely out of the truck bed when deployed. In the 4wc, the mattress extension took up over 1/2 of the bed area. The new camper will extend further over the cab, so the mattress extension will only be 18" or so. Also, with the Flippac there was no wasted space between the slide in and the bed. With the flatbed I'll also be able to use the fender space. The flatbed is 5'-6" long and the camper box will be around 6'-6" long.

With the added length and full fender area utilization, I should gain enough storage space for all of our stuff.

Full size won't fit where I usually go. The 4wc barely did. The Sierras have some great trails, but the tree clearances are tight and branches are low. I also plan to tackle the Rubicon this summer. Full overland camper with some rock crawling capabilities. I know- big goals!

Slickrock trail near Bear Valley.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sketch. Won't have the lower boxes though since we incorporated the HC bumper.

image.jpg

Not sure if it will popup this high. If it did, I could easily sit up in the bed. And the peak would be around 9'-6" from the floor.

image.jpeg

Clutch

<---Pass
Ahhh...I see, forgot about how the bed deploys in the FWC.

That is what I love about my Wildernest on a Tacoma, can get into some really tight spots, can't imagine going any bigger, I hear you on that.

Cool design, what material are you going to build the camper out of? Might have a market for it.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Ahhh...I see, forgot about how the bed deploys in the FWC.

That is what I love about my Wildernest on a Tacoma, can get into some really tight spots, can't imagine going any bigger, I hear you on that.
I'm
Cool design, what material are you going to build the camper out of? Might have a market for it.

Camper will be aluminum tubing. A local "contractor cap" builder is making mine, as well as another member's shell (@Iggy). His will sit on the bedrails like a standard shell, but will have dual hospital doors. Also windoors.

The company will remain anonymous until everything works out and they allow us to release their name. Our campers are prototypes and, if everything goes as planned, they may start marketing these. Iggy and I are doing most of the R&D, and we're happy that someone took on this project.

The fabric will be 8.5 oz vinyl coated polyester- same as they use on 4wc's. A local upholstery shop will perform the work.

Like the Flippac/ Wildernest/ Habitat, the interior will be empty and ready for my amateur carpentry. We both chose to have the interior unskinned so we can run wires. Also means that we'll have to take care of the insulation. The company does offer insulation and interior skin though on their contractor caps.

Really stoked to finally be in the fabrication phase of this project.

camodog

Adventurer
Thank you for sharing your experiences. My goal is to one day get a good diesel mid-size truck with a flat-bed and pop-up camper.

westranger29

Adventurer
Camper will be aluminum tubing. A local "contractor cap" builder is making mine, as well as another member's shell (@Iggy). His will sit on the bedrails like a standard shell, but will have dual hospital doors. Also windoors.

The company will remain anonymous until everything works out and they allow us to release their name. Our campers are prototypes and, if everything goes as planned, they may start marketing these. Iggy and I are doing most of the R&D, and we're happy that someone took on this project.

The fabric will be 8.5 oz vinyl coated polyester- same as they use on 4wc's. A local upholstery shop will perform the work.

Like the Flippac/ Wildernest/ Habitat, the interior will be empty and ready for my amateur carpentry. We both chose to have the interior unskinned so we can run wires. Also means that we'll have to take care of the insulation. The company does offer insulation and interior skin though on their contractor caps.

Really stoked to finally be in the fabrication phase of this project.

Please keep us posted with your camper as it develops, I am very interested in this!! Great design and option.

Wow, new direction sounds awesome. Be sure to keep us in the loop on how this turns out and if this company that's building these campers wants to continue building campers.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Sorry guys! Went MIA for a bit. Truck is dropped off and I'll try to post some progress pics when they have the framing done.

Here's the flatbed. Springs were not built for an unladen truck obviously.
IMG_6823.jpg

And don't mind the temporary ghetto taillight setup.

shirk

This looks great.

Digging this Euro style build vs the FWC / big American rigs.

Your buddy's build looks to ahead of your truck in the 3rd picture. It looks like an Ortec Minicamp build with the cab bolted to the bed rails. https://www.google.ca/search?q=orte...2czSAhXEAsAKHaExA3AQ_AUIBygC&biw=1888&bih=506

Also from the sounds of it you do a lot of wheeling and likely want to keep the weight down. Look into casemaker or flightcase construction for your interior build out. Here is some inspiration on it from the Germans. http://www.4x4-innenausbau.de/

I've been doing lots of reading on similar style setups to what you are building, we're currently a family of 3 expanding to 4 in the spring. I was originally thinking of building out a van but dealing with folding beds and kids car seats just wasn't going to work. Looked more into the FWC's but weight becomes and issue. We're not the type to dive a big F250 / 2500 series truck and although many run the small FWC on Tacoma's it seems that many of them are unknowing well over the GVWR.

Looking forward to seeing how your build comes together.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Thanks for the support and comments! Haven't posted here in a while. Well, here's the progress so far. Got distracted with 35's and all the impractical things associated with them. 4.88 gears, trimming, hammering, new wheels.... now I can concentrate on the camper and getting the fabric installed. Much to do.

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles