Overland Expo West

Super Doody

Explorer
Anyone with young children going to Overland Expo West? I would love to go but need to justify the time and cost. If it was just myself, it would be a done deal. Hoping there are enough activities for my wife and daughter.Any feed back would be appreciated.

Jim:smiley_drive::rally_guys:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We are bringing our (then) 6 months old son... RTT will be a bit of a hassle... Renting a 25' RV to have a nice shelter. Also running a booth to make things a bit more fun :)

harbinger808

Adventurer
Same boat as you with our then 3yr and 6 month old... we decided to just pack up and go :) More memories are always welcomed :)

Anyone with young children going to Overland Expo West? I would love to go but need to justify the time and cost. If it was just myself, it would be a done deal. Hoping there are enough activities for my wife and daughter.Any feed back would be appreciated.

Jim:smiley_drive::rally_guys:

Super Doody

Explorer
I think we're in. We're taking a week off and will be traveling form SF Bay Area. Does anyone have any suggestion on stops along the way to the Expo?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
My kids watched the first Cars movie not too long before I drove through western AZ with them and they were totally into the Route 66 part of that trip. They still talk about it years later.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I've been the last 3 years in a row and have two step kids that haven't come with us: they are 3 and 5. I'm not sure if we have them the weekend of the expo, but if we do I will not hesitate to bring them.

A younger child that cannot walk, I would recommend a wagon. The ground should be ok for some strollers, but last year was a muddy mess so I would recommend a heavy duty wagon like those seen at Home Depot and Lowes with pneumatic tires.

The sun can get intense, wind too. Pack sunscreen and perhaps lotion. Kids love snacks and juice too of course.

Lastly: there is so much to see I think anyone can have a good time. People are very friendly and relaxed: it's not like a home show or in town Expo where people try to lure you into entering a drawing or something like that around every corner and bug you about it. You can walk through the vendor areas (some of which is well shaded) and peek at products in a leisurely manner, check things out in a hands on manner, get a drink or bite to eat from a stand (I highly recommend Chuck Wagon Soda if they're here again this year...only time I drink pop all year) and just check out cool rigs from vendors and individuals alike.

I honestly think if your wife and daughter have any interest in the outdoors, they will have a good time going.

As for the route, Google shows I5 to I40 the whole way. A longer way, but very scenic in my opinion would be to drop down southbound on 89 in Ash Fork and then continue on 89A eastbound through Jerome, Clarkdale, and Sedona and then getting back "on track" in Flagstaff. You can even take a forest service road to the Expo from Munds Park just south of Flagstaff on I17, ad take the equally as gorgeous drive back to Flagstaff via Lake Mary Road.

Enough ranting..hope this helps!

hmmar

Observer
Wow, its means your Arizona stat's tour was awesome for you, I like to share with you that your stuff about your tour is really good for readers. I want to go Arizona but I will explore its Red Rock State Park. Have you any idea about Red Rock State Park? Share with me here...

Adventuremama

Going with Littles!

Was my idea to go & Husband finally on board! We're driving from Huntington Beach with 6yr and 3yr old. Dropped ball on registering early enough for camping so tent camping at KOA in Flagstaff ($99/3 nights). Bringing bob style stroller for tired times plenty of snacks and small cooler. Want to stay entire day so will scope out a nice spot centrally located at Expo to relax on blanket with kiddos to let them play/eat before heading out to explore more.

Sold our annoying Fifth Wheel to downsize to Four Wheel Camper so we're going to research and look!

Anyone selling their FAMILY CAMPING tickets....let me know??

Message me if you have kiddos going too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles