Overland Expo West or MTN West?

BrianPatrick

I plan on attending one of these events, as I have not been before. Is one show larger than the other? Any reason to pick one over the other? Just trying to plan, before I put in my vacation time.

I'd pick one based on the destination and surrounding area. The stuff at the shows is the same at both. If you are going to camp at the show and attend on several days then Mtn West sucks as there isn't a tree in sight and the dust and wind is horrible. I haven't camped there for Mtn West but I attend other shows/events (GoodGuys car show) at this location.
IMO....spend your vacation time out in the woods. If you want to see the show you could honestly blow through it in half a day. Just spend time at the vendors looking at products you need or are interested in. If you don't have budget for an EarthRoamer then why even look - go camping instead.

Zuber

West in Flagstaff is probably the bigger event. Camping location can be good or bad just depending on the dice roll. You get assigned a spot on arrival. It can be dusty or snowy depending on the weather gods. If you've never gone before, it can take the entire day. I'd just get the middle package, not the VIP or day pass.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
West in Flagstaff is probably the bigger event. Camping location can be good or bad just depending on the dice roll. You get assigned a spot on arrival. It can be dusty or snowy depending on the weather gods. If you've never gone before, it can take the entire day. I'd just get the middle package, not the VIP or day pass.

What was the weather in 2021? I have read that some of the sites are dusty but some have heavy pine needles keeping the dust to a minimum as well.

Zuber

2021 Overland West was in the fall, so dusty. If you were parked near the entrance road, you'd hate it. Otherwise, very nice weather until leaving Sunday morning. We pulled out about 5 minutes before the rain.

In 2019, it was in the spring, like it will be this year. Had a few light showers before it started. Then it was cool 60-40 deg and very nice. Snowed a few inches on Monday for the vendors to pack up in.

I'll be going local to the NW Expo. Only about 1 1/2 hours from home. Early July is great in Oregon and there is so much to see in this state.

Shadow Overland

Went to Expo Mt. West in 2021. I was told by the folks at the event last year, that West is larger. The temps for Mt. West were fine, but agree with @wyowandering. Only trees up near the buildings if you get one of those camping spots. Main camping area doesn't have a tree in sight and they didn't do a very good job of dust control in 2021. Hoping they improve dust control this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles