Overland Expo West 2015

s5m

We had a great time at the expo this was our third expo. And thanks to the staff and vendors for sticking it out .what a great way to see all the tents, trailers and equment on how they handled the weather.

Judoka

Learning To Live
The After Parties were AWESOME! Paul and the Guys at Equipt and...Friends (Not sure who all put it together) Had The best Margaritas I have ever tasted in snow and rain! :wings:

And Aluminess MADE Beer, and it was fantastic! That is bringing the "A" Game!

But closing the night down with FOX was the perfect way to end a Saturday night! I will relive many fond memories every time I sip a cold IPA from the glass they gave full of beer!

Judoka

Learning To Live
We had a great time at the expo this was our third expo. And thanks to the staff and vendors for sticking it out .what a great way to see all the tents, trailers and equment on how they handled the weather.

You know, that is part of what made this year's Expo so memorable. This year people had an opportunity to see what QUALITY gear is made for. When I heard of people complaining about the back 40 "swamp", I could not help but smile as I reflected upon the beauty of this years event! This year truly set apart the QUALITY purpose-built equipment, and separated the "DOERS" from the "Dreamers"! Whoever was left standing, no....SMILING at the end of that weekend is whom I would want to do business with when I am planning to travel remote regions of the world in harsh terrain! Just saying!

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Yep, that was neat. I managed to get close to it after stumbling back from the Fox after hours party...I think. Not too sure about things that night.
How much more Fun could Expo have been? I am with you! FOX was just good fun!

peneumbra

Explorer
^^Any more fun would've been illegal. I keep flashing back to the Great Spotlight In The Sky and the snowflakes drifting through it - Soul-stirring is the only word that comes to mind. Okay, maybe coffee-stirring...

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Some had more fun than others! Ran into a guy Saturday morning who simply got up, threw everything minus his tent, into his car and leave. When asked about the tent he stated "to hell with the tent and this place". I'd say he was lacking that adventure spirit. It's an outdoor event for gods sake. If you can't deal with a little adversity and weather you have no business being out there.

OverlandExpo-4-XL.jpg

OverlandExpo-2-XL.jpg

Last edited:

OCD Overland

Explorer
We never considered leaving, though if the weather report I got online when I first arrived didn't say 'light showers tonight and sunny for the next three days', lol, then we would have looked for higher ground. That soil was awful, and had already been churned up by either horses or cattle and liberally dotted with manure. We were in a ground tent, so it was a bit tricky to get the cots leveled - I do feel sorry for anyone who was trying to sleep directly on the ground. Our tent stayed warm and dry though and felt all the more cozy in contrast to what was outside.

After the rain, I had a little difficulty getting the car in and out of our actual campsite - nothing a bit of back and forth couldn't cure, but once I was out in the slop and got some momentum going in my favor, the only tricky part was keeping everything going the right direction. That was with AWD - not sure I'd have had the same luck with 2WD or a trailer. I have some decent AT tires, but I think the mud turned most tires into slicks within seconds anyway. A good 4WD shouldn't have had any problems. I had one tricky moment when a jeep that I was behind pulled to the side and I thought he was stopping, but when I went past saw that he'd pulled over for some oncoming traffic. By the time I realized what was going on, though, I was in the middle of the intersection and thought if I stopped there I might get stuck, so I just went to the side the best I could. Fortunately it was only one car headed up the road so I was able to just keep going. Anyway, sorry for that to the guys directing traffic - I'm sure I looked like a jerk just barging through.

My only actual gripe is that we were told by one of the volunteers that all of the driving classes had been canceled, and it looks like that wasn't the case. That's an understandable mixup, though we both skipped what would have been some good classes as a result. As for other regrets, I think the biggest was that the mud prevented us from exploring the campsite, meeting people, getting a good look at other setups, etc.

I'd say that all things considered, we enjoyed ourselves but didn't get enough out of the overland experience package to consider it money well spent. At the end of the day, though, we accomplished our only real objective, which was to decide on what kind of trailer setup we wanted to go with. So with that in mind I suppose I can't really complain.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
so what ya getting trailer wise :)

We never considered leaving, though if the weather report I got online when I first arrived didn't say 'light showers tonight and sunny for the next three days', lol, then we would have looked for higher ground. That soil was awful, and had already been churned up by either horses or cattle and liberally dotted with manure. We were in a ground tent, so it was a bit tricky to get the cots leveled - I do feel sorry for anyone who was trying to sleep directly on the ground. Our tent stayed warm and dry though and felt all the more cozy in contrast to what was outside.

After the rain, I had a little difficulty getting the car in and out of our actual campsite - nothing a bit of back and forth couldn't cure, but once I was out in the slop and got some momentum going in my favor, the only tricky part was keeping everything going the right direction. That was with AWD - not sure I'd have had the same luck with 2WD or a trailer. I have some decent AT tires, but I think the mud turned most tires into slicks within seconds anyway. A good 4WD shouldn't have had any problems. I had one tricky moment when a jeep that I was behind pulled to the side and I thought he was stopping, but when I went past saw that he'd pulled over for some oncoming traffic. By the time I realized what was going on, though, I was in the middle of the intersection and thought if I stopped there I might get stuck, so I just went to the side the best I could. Fortunately it was only one car headed up the road so I was able to just keep going. Anyway, sorry for that to the guys directing traffic - I'm sure I looked like a jerk just barging through.

My only actual gripe is that we were told by one of the volunteers that all of the driving classes had been canceled, and it looks like that wasn't the case. That's an understandable mixup, though we both skipped what would have been some good classes as a result. As for other regrets, I think the biggest was that the mud prevented us from exploring the campsite, meeting people, getting a good look at other setups, etc.

I'd say that all things considered, we enjoyed ourselves but didn't get enough out of the overland experience package to consider it money well spent. At the end of the day, though, we accomplished our only real objective, which was to decide on what kind of trailer setup we wanted to go with. So with that in mind I suppose I can't really complain.

Last edited:

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Some had more fun than others! Ran into a guy Saturday morning who simply got up, threw everything minus his tent, into his car and leave. When asked about the tent he stated "to hell with the tent and this place". ...
OverlandExpo-4-XL.jpg

I know I should not laugh because someone had to clean up after him, and that sucks, but reading that statement from here, it's absolutely hilarious.

"to hell with the tent and this place"

Flame suit on! :)

OCD Overland

Explorer
so what ya getting trailer wise :)
If we go full-size, then the VMI Alpine. I'm worried that the size will hold us back too much, though, and it's too big to be hauled by a wrangler. The fallback is going to be an XVenture. But I think the wife is set on the Alpine. We'll have to talk with Mike to get a cost for what we want and then go from there I guess.

Honu

lost on the mainland
one reason I wish I could have been there was to see some toys in person :)
we had a conqueror and got out of trailers have thought of getting a Xventure or something easy to tow again :)

might end up going custom this time around even hard to say :)

If we go full-size, then the VMI Alpine. I'm worried that the size will hold us back too much, though, and it's too big to be hauled by a wrangler. The fallback is going to be an XVenture. But I think the wife is set on the Alpine. We'll have to talk with Mike to get a cost for what we want and then go from there I guess.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I know I should not laugh because someone had to clean up after him, and that sucks, but reading that statement from here, it's absolutely hilarious.

"to hell with the tent and this place"

Flame suit on! :)

I did something similar, years ago. We were tent camping in the desert and set up our camp in a lovely flat place... otherwise known as a dry lake bed... until it rained... The whole campsite went underwater, and we bailed. We didn't abandon the tent, but I did throw it into the first dumpster we came to.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
I brought a tent but I knew the conditions were going to be unfavorable well before I arrived so I opted to sleep in my jeep to save the tent. My jeep had so much mud inside after though from climbing in at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushogger

Explorer
I brought a tent but I knew the conditions were going to be unfavorable well before I arrived so I opted to sleep in my jeep to save the tent. My jeep had so much mud inside after though from climbing in at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A man after my own heart. "You does what you has to do." - Popeye the Sailor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz