Overland Expo Mountain West thoughts

Steve_382

We were unable to attend the show this year, but watched about 15 YouTube videos from the event. One thing we noticed was that it seemed like there were more YouTube video creators and vendors at the event than actual customers. It didn't seem that crowded. The people doing the videos all seemed to know each other and the vendors and it looked more like a meet and greet session for all your old friends. Not a bad thing, but I wonder if it was that beneficial for the vendors. We may be reaching the point where there are too many people trying to make a living from creating videos. Oh well, just some random thoughts after watching 10 hours of videos and commercials. Ha.

Laps

I didn't attend either, but I'm wondering whether there is a saturation point of vendors being reached quickly, especially with the expense involved with many of the products I saw featured on those same YT channels you are referring to.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
While I can't talk to video/social media content production at the event I can talk too my experience and thoughts as a vendor (since 2014 and attending countless Expos and similar Expo events.)

It was the first Expo in Colorado so the crowd was commiserate with it being new. I suspect it will continue to grow since we talked with so many people from out of state that traveled to attend and it's Colorado....kinda ground zero of vehicle based adventure......

Time of year is a challenge and impacts attendance due to kids heading back to school and most people have already spent their V-days. Different dates during the summer could help with attendance.

Competition from other smaller/regional events will continue to eat into the OE attendance but, OE is still the gold standard.

Tweaking and tuning the training versus exhibitor content will continue to be done. I heard from a number of attendees that there was just too many vendors that actually didnt have anything to sell and not enough training oppertunities.

And, in the end there is the issue of market saturation and a bored public that will move to the next big thing. There will always be Overlanding in the US from now on. There will always be those that follow it as a hobby/lifestyle but, those that can't pivot with change and what comes next will fail. Cheers.

Last edited:

potfish

too many vendors that actually didnt have anything to sell

What do you mean by that? Exhibitors that want to sell stuff but are having supply problems, or ?

I'm planning on going to Overland Expo East which seems to have about half the exhibitors but is the only one that's feasible for me to get to as a weekend trip without taking vacation. All I want to do is check out a variety of trailers and equipment which are really rare in the northeast so near impossible to see any other way before I get on someone's waiting list. Low crowds would suit me for this trip, but wouldn't bode well for the event being around for future years.

RoamIt

I'm also attending Overland East, it will be my first event of this nature. I certainly hope the vendors are there in force, I intend to hit the road in a few years and want to start the rig building process now so I'm ready.

4000lbsOfGoat

While I can't talk to video/social media content production at the event I can talk too my experience and thoughts as a vendor (since 2014 and attending countless Expos and similar Expo events.)

It was the first Expo in Colorado so the crowd was commiserate with it being new. I suspect it will continue to grow since we talked with so many people from out of state that traveled to attend and it's Colorado....kinda ground zero of vehicle based adventure......

Time of year is a challenge and impacts attendance due to kids heading back to school and most people have already spent their V-days. Different dates during the summer could help with attendance.

Competition from other smaller/regional events will continue to eat into the OE attendance but, OE is still the gold standard.

Tweaking and tuning the training versus exhibitor content will continue to be done. I heard from a number of attendees that there was just too many vendors that actually didnt have anything to sell and not enough training oppertunities.

And, in the end there is the issue of market saturation and a bored public that will move to the next big thing. There will always be Overlanding in the US from now on. There will always be those that follow it as a hobby/lifestyle but, those that can't pivot with change and what comes next will fail. Cheers.
I'm curious if you (or a representative) are going to be at OE West in Flagstaff also? I really need another one of you bags!

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I'm not a fan of going to "expo" style events and then paying for admission - so that I can shop for stuff to spend money on. I get that there are classes and activities that cost money, and I have no problem paying for that - if it's something I'm interested in, but I'm not paying admission just to look.

Hourless Life

We were at Mountain West (presenters) and we'll be at Expo West (presenters) there as well. We won't be at East this year because we'll have already started our global overlanding journey by that time. We anticipate crossing into Mexico on or about October 9th.

Here are my thoughts on Mountain West this year:

1. The grounds were amazing. Lodestone really outdid themselves with this venue.
2. There were a lot of content creators onsite, but I wouldn't say more than at previous Expo events.
3. Vendors across the board were having supply chain issues.
4. It was hot! People weren't hydrating enough and there were several EMT call outs.
5. We really enjoyed all of the speaking sessions we went to.
6. Other than our sponsors for our global trip, we only saw a handful of vendors as we really aren't in the market for much of anything.

What I witnessed from the attendees, was that despite the heat, people seemed to be generally enthusiastic, happy, and involved. Classes were full, courses were full, and even into Sunday people were still excited about being able to be back together in person.

I'm really glad that OE is now in Colorado, and I think it was a great move. I wonder at the impact it will have on attendance at OE West this year.

Anyway, that's my .02 and for those going to West this year, I look forward to meeting you if you are a member of Expedition Portal. Always enjoy meeting folks with similar passions. We'll be in the Goose Gear booth at West if anyone wants to stop by and say hi or check out our rig.

Bring a chair and a story. ~ Eric

STREGA

Explorer
Will be going to OEX in Flagstaff on Friday only. I have attended most of them including the first one in Prescott and the last one I went to was in 2018. The earlier ones were more enjoyable since they were much smaller events, got to hang out with the overland “celebs” and felt like I belonged to the tribe not so much at the last couple events I attended. It has gotten a lot more spendy to go to the expo now not sure if it’s as good of a value as it use to be.

This year I have a agenda to check out some specific things for my truck first since time will not be on my side. If there is time left over then I have a 2nd tier and 3rd tier things I will check out. Experience tells me I probably won’t get to the 3rd tier vendors. If the crowds are not as big as the last few years it will be good for me though not a good thing for the vendors. I wonder if the expo being held later this year and covid fears will effect atttendance.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We were unable to attend the show this year, but watched about 15 YouTube videos from the event. One thing we noticed was that it seemed like there were more YouTube video creators and vendors at the event than actual customers. It didn't seem that crowded.

That describes most I.T. sales event I have been to....

I went to Mtn West the first morning and there was a pretty decent crowd by the time I left. Definitely did a little shopping but more so it was about getting to connect with different people and learn about different things I've been wanting to check out. For better or worse, content creators are everywhere now and as long as social media maintains its popularity, its not going to change. Dont let it dissuade you from going though, there is still a good time to be had. I have to say though, I wish they had used a different venue. The lack of trees combined with the heat and dust was a bummer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94