Overland Explorer Expedition Cabin on 2020 Ford F350

gregmchugh

Observer
Marine fans are typically made to "hatch" sizes or require custom installation. Without knowing the size of the current opening, any specific product recommendations would be based purely on speculation. I do not know of a "take out a MaxxFan #245 and install Camframo Fan #594" type of solution, and would be surprised if there was one.

That said, check with Defender Marine, West Marine, Fisheries Supply or a local Chandlery, in the "ventilation" section of their respective website or store and look for hatches and fans made by Vetus, Camframo, Lewmar or other quality manufacturers.

Spending some time in sailboat forums will net you a world of knowledge, as ventilation is crucial on a sailboat, especially in common cruising grounds such as Florida and the Caribbean. Remember, sailboats, even small ones, typically have multiple hatches to keep air moving.
Very good, I am familiar with the marine fan options and have never seen any that fit in the standard RV opening. Thought you were suggesting something specific that was available for a simple replacement.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Very nice unit. I'm just down the road from you guys in Rocky Mountain House. Do you folks do any Nordic Touring?

Absolutely! The David Thompson is one of our favourite drives and we often travel through Rocky on our way to Lake Louise. Would love to hear about the nordic trails in your area. Are there groomed trail systems?

Forestry truck road is fun to explore. I'd like to do a longer stretch of it.

We explored the roads around the old mine and that was pretty fun as well.

Trail Talk

Weather is great right now, only -9 overnight. We're headed that way this weekend with our truck.

We'd like to go further from home but our heating system is still leaking coolant when we fire up the Webasto. OEV has been super responsive and thankfully aren't too far away so hoping to get it back to them next week ?

Trail Talk

A couple of worthwhile mods to report on. The F350 chassis cab as delivered from Ford does not have a backup camera (natch, since there is nothing to hang it on). There is a factory camera add-on kit available but we went with an aftermarket unit from Camera Source. Their kit is plug n'play with the factory harness and Sync 3 display. OEV handled the install and we are very happy with the results.

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

A few nights in freezing temperatures resulted in condensation underneath the front mattress. Reading the posts of others who camp in winter, we half expected this but had to find out for ourselves. So the Froli kit went in and feels really plush. While it stole back some of the extra headroom we obtained by going from a 7" to 4" mattress, it should banish any mould concerns.

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

BLITZEN was delivered back to OEV today for a substantial reworking of the hydronics. Part of the learning curve with the new 7.3L engine; a pressure differential between the truck and camper coolant systems was playing havoc with the Webasto Thermo Top. It was alternately sucking air or leaking fluids, while producing little heat and draining the battery. Now that the cause has been identified, a solution is imminent!

My partner, however, is most enthusiastic about the Air Head toilet that should arrive this week. The cassette toilet hasn't been in operation since we took delivery of our fully winterized unit from OEV. Since a separating/composting toilet isn't affected by cold temps, she is looking forward to retiring her pee bottle. Is there a market for a nearly new Thetford C224CW?

Last edited:

Trail Talk

Is that in the Tonquin valley?

Yes! You must be familiar with the area then, and know it is currently under caribou lock-down. Lucky for at least one of these endangered animals that we were there just before the seasonal closure took effect. Found this one snared in the food storage cables of a backcountry campground. After being cut down he took off with several pounds of stainless steel cable wrapped around the antlers, we don't know if he survived the winter :cry:

103 copy.JPG

Last edited:

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
Truck looks awesome. Have you thought about one of the fan covers that the sell at RV dealers. It is sealed at the bottom and lets you leave your ceiling fans open even while driving preventing debris and rain from getting in. It may extend the life of the Max air circuit board.

gregmchugh

Observer
Truck looks awesome. Have you thought about one of the fan covers that the sell at RV dealers. It is sealed at the bottom and lets you leave your ceiling fans open even while driving preventing debris and rain from getting in. It may extend the life of the Max air circuit board.

My experience is with the MaxxAir fan (I have the model with the built in cover that keeps the rain out) is that the problem is with moisture that is condensing inside the fan in the cold from the humid air in the cabin. I run 2 small dehumidifiers and open the fan cover every day when the cabin heat is on to reduce the build up of moisture.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Yes! You must be familiar with the area then, and know it is currently under caribou lock-down. Lucky for at least one of these endangered animals that we were there just before the seasonal closure took effect. Found this one snared in the food storage cables of a backcountry campground. After being cut down he took off with several pounds of stainless steel cable wrapped around the antlers, we don't know if he survived the winter :cry:

View attachment 631621

I have only been in there once many years ago but the quartzite peaks are pretty distinctive to that area and stunningly spectacular! I need to get back in there again. I tend to spend more time in the Soutern Rockies, Selkirks, Kootenays, and Purcells and a bit of time in the Monahees in the winter. The 4 meter March Monashee snowpack is enticing!

So many amazing places to go - so many fun things to do!

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
Very interesting, perhaps to consider when we are on shore power. Is there a temperature range for running these? Just quickly searching, it appears some aren't effective below 15C.

Power draw is 22 watts each and we keep the cabin above 60 deg F and they seem to be effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles