Overland Explorer Composite Off Road Trailer

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Staying busy !

ambo1-L.jpg

Class3bko

Ever thought of combining this concept with something like the flipak or AT habitat. Could be used as just the tear drop or opened up for standing room and sleep up to six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I don't see why the tub and rack couldn't be sold separately, we've made a lid available so why not.

There are so many ways to configure these trailers, and with the design pretty easy to make happen. We are doing one with a really simplified kitchen area right now, assembly will be in a few weeks, sometimes simple is better, but for now we are focusing on production for a while and looking after the folks that are scheduled in. Once production is standard fare I have a few more things I'd like to get on to, it's fun stuff.

Thanks!

Jeep

The rear hinge is 1/4" pin continuous or "piano" hinge in stainless. A rain gutter above, and below keeps the water out open or closed, I liked the idea of the hurricane hinge but disliked the quality.

Jeep

Just some shots of another TDK going together, more shop space to help with the build schedule is happening so this is getting started before the shop is completely ready, hence the trailer. The whole trailer is cut on a cnc router and the whole design is interlocking. Perimeter extrusions go on next and it gets bonded to the frame and loaded with it's equipment.

20170213_143132_resized_1.jpg

20170213_143144_resized_1.jpg

20170213_145345_resized_1.jpg

20170213_170834_resized.jpg

Strop

Hi Guys,

Great thread and a great trailer concept. The look is very rugged, but attractive - hard when compared to old teardrop shape.

The forum is obviously designed for off road use but I am sure it could be used for on road usage by smaller vehicles. Leads me to my first question. What total weight are we looking at? Also how much does the roof rack weigh as not sure needed for lite camping. On this line of thought about weight - why 40mm foam and not 25mm - strength, weight or insulation?

For on the road use behind a car I was thinking the access hatch area could be moved to between the bed area and kitchen, putting the weight over the axle and lessening the ball weight when loaded. Leads to next question - what is the tow ball weight for the trailer as designed.

The other things that came to mind after reading are, where is the gas bottle? Where is the battery? I am assuming that a water tank is fitted under the trailer - any details? Finally spare tyre mounted anywhere?

Again - love what you are doing.

All the best

Laurie

Last edited:

Jeep

The trailer could definitely be used on road, that particular trailer came in at 1900 pounds with water tank, propane tank, and battery. The battery is in the front storage compartment and the propane is in the rear cabinet on the side. Propane can also be mounted on the tongue as can be the spare tire, the spare can also be mounted on the side.

We are building them to be tough and relatively light, and there is not enough weight difference between 25mm and 40mm xps to offset the strength. The roof rack is not heavy, it's aluminum.

The balance of this trailer us pretty much perfect, the water tank is centered over the rear axle, and depending on options we can locate things like propane tanks, spare tires, inverters, etc. To maintain the balance. Tongue weight on that trailer was right around 100 pounds and I personally towed that unit from Red Deer to LA snd back, then to Moab running as fast as 95mph and I couldn't feel it affecting the handling of te truck any time. With the storage compartment on the front it can also be loaded to offset the rear load as well if it gets loaded heavy in the rear.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the interest.

Mark

Strop

Hi mark,

Thanks for the quick response.

Wow, 1900lbs (862kg). That is heavier than I imagined, though I suppose most of the weight is in the chassis not the camping module. Did you measure the components separately at all?

Yep, 100 lbs (45kg) - great ball weight. My teardrop was similar but then I started putting lots of stuff into the front storage and on the tongue area - now it is 165 lbs (75kg). You keep shoving stuff you might need into that storage until it is full. That was the rationale for my suggestion of the storage over the axle area. Minimise the impact on the ball weight when campers go mad with gear transferring a finely balanced bit of kit into something else.

I was interested to see that it is built in Canada but shown off in California. The composite panel would be great for the cold - hold the heat in very well on those cold nights. But, how have you found it the other way. Days with the sun blazing down on you and hot as hell - with NO air conditioning . Recently been anywhere from 104 F (40 C) to 113 F (45 C) where I go camping. Tends to heat everything up inside and out - only relief is a cold beverage and a swim (more focus on the beverage). I am sure you would have been asked that question heaps at the shows you have done. Have you done any testing (yes, I am sucking your brains here)?

You also said in an earlier post that you would post a picture of the weather protection for the galley hatch. Any chance? Also would love to see a photo of someone about 6' 3" standing at the galley with the hatch open. I have no idea why I picked that height :)

Loved the thread on the tray back unit as well, even though not my style. Skills man.

All the best

Laurie

Jeep

Thanks Laurie.

The composite body shell itself weighs only 209 lbs without extrusions. The rest is all chassis, wheels, tires, etc. There are a few places you could shave weight but you'd have to be pretty concious of its end use. It has 3500 lb suspension components and electric brakes which add a bit of weight but those parts add a lot of durability and safety. As far as composites and heat it works well both ways. My F650 gets used extensively in 30C and higher temps and we don't need air conditioning, the heat stays out and a little ventilation does the rest comfortably. We hang out inside when we need to cool down a lot of times.

We build our stuff in Canada but we sell internationally. There is really not much of a market in Canada for that product so hence our marketing in the USA. That trailer was developed after we attended Expo west at Flagstaff last year and had to many inquiries from trailer customers looking at our camper and asking if we would build a trailer in similar fashion. So we did and the next while should hopefully reveal if it was worth the time business wise, it was worth my time as I really enjoy development work and love the concept but that doesn't pay the bills if it doesn't result in some sales.

Regarding the balance question, there is a lot rear storage which can offset the front storage to maintain a good tongue weight. And the water is above the axle so it has minimal effect whether empty or full. It really was designed to be a good fit for the Wrangler 4 door or anything with a similar or better tow rating. Wranglers aren't the greatest tow vehicle so we didn't do anything to amplify the issue.

The rear hatch was designed so that it could comfortably accommodate a tall guy and be operated by a short guy, I try to design things for everybodies needs, the odd time yiu get it right. I'm 6'1" and fit it with room to spare. As for the rear rain guard I will get s pic up soon, just had to get out of the -30 over to the +30 before I lost my marbles.

Thanks
Mark

Strop

Hi Mark,

I went to a caravan and camping show on the Gold Coast in Queensland on the weekend and saw so many camper trailers that have their manufacturing origin in China. Wow. Easy to tell when they are all the same shape and have same stove, suspension etc. it was interesting to see all the independent suspensions with coils and shocks for trailers that will probably only spend their life on the road and occasional dirt track recently graded smooth. From what I can tell Trimbren suspension new and not big over here but with the rotating hitch point I imagine it will travel over the most difficult of terrain.

Thought of you as I was looking and couldn't find anything as good looking as the composite tear-blunt. Can't bring myself to call it a teardrop mate.

Anyway, it occurred to me how cut throat the market is here and I would think there as well. Also thought how hard it would be to bring something new to the market. So, you have all my positive vibes mate. Best of luck with it.

Laurie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles