Overland/cross country vehicle: Lexus RX400h Hybrid

Florida Native

Looks like you pack like I do... use every nook and cranny possible!

What are those sand/snow tracks and have you ever used them? They fold up very small.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mnewxcv

Observer
Looks like you pack like I do... use every nook and cranny possible!

What are those sand/snow tracks and have you ever used them? They fold up very small.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They are similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-Dee...253&hvtargid=pla-524493249749#customerReviews

Though mine are twice as big I think, as mine unfold. I will snap a picture in a minute and see if I can find a brand. Never used them other than driving over them in the snow to make sure they wouldn't break. It's a simple enough design and if I ever really need them, I think it will be enough to get me unstuck. They were given to me and they're compact enough so I just keep them in the vehicle. If anything, I would think they would be useful if I do any beach driving this summer. I was pretty happy with the snow performance of the vehicle this winter.

mnewxcv

Observer
Actually, mine look just like the ones in the link only orange. Mine do not unfold, but I think they connect together to make a longer single rather than 2 short ones.

jhosborn

thanks for your post! I have a 2016 450H and would like to do a bit of off roading in it (gravel roads, light dirt, etc). First thought about outfitting a cargo van, and then trading the RX for a LX470, and now circling back to using the 450H. appreciate reading your escapades!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Sienna awd is the same platform only more roomy. I’ve seen a number of them with rear seats stripped out with a full sized bed built in with lots of storage.

mnewxcv

Observer
The Sienna awd is the same platform only more roomy. I’ve seen a number of them with rear seats stripped out with a full sized bed built in with lots of storage.
true, though it has an extra foot of wheelbase and .4" less of ground clearance. If that isn't a problem, definitely a lot more interior room!

jhosborn

appreciate the posts! I have a 2016 RX450H and scratching my head about how to go forward with some novice overlanding; keep thinking out fit a van?, get a teardrop?, get an older sportsmobile type van? Novice here, weekend car camper.

Lovetheworld

Nice to take a hybrid! I think they are pretty capable with a torqy electric motor at rear axle, and the engine + electric motor at front wheels. In a way it is like parttime 4x4 in that you always have power on at least two wheels. Of course the power output is very different, however, you don't have to worry about torque.
It will not be a Landcruiser but it will get you to most places. In Mongolia I have seen a family with a Toyota MPV hybrid 4wd getting to lots of places, with just a small lift and stronger shocks.

mnewxcv

Observer
Any updates?
nothing to note. It is my daily driver and approaching 180k miles now. It has been trouble free in the 45k miles I've put on it. Doing front pads and rotors soon as I get some free time. Tires are wearing very well in my opinion, and I won't hesitate to get the same ones next time. Any questions just ask.

scchen

@mnewxcv - Very nice. I didn't think anyone with RX400h dare to explore any dirt roads besides me. haha. I was looking for some overland ideas and came across this thread, and I am glad I did. At least I know I am not the only one with RX400h likes to play. I had the car for over 13+ years and we had many memories of our family camping and road trips. The car has proven to be very reliable throughout those years. Since the pandemic I travelled further into remote areas to explore safely, and that requires traveling through remote roads.

Definitely, great photos of your car and upgrades. Keep sharing your adventures and upgrades as I will share mine as well. I attached few photos of my travels throughout last year. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 2021-01-31_15-16-14_361 copy.jpg
    2021-01-31_15-16-14_361 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 2021-02-21_15-47-44_228 copy.jpg
    2021-02-21_15-47-44_228 copy.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 2021-04-18_17-59-14_522 copy.jpg
    2021-04-18_17-59-14_522 copy.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 2021-04-18_17-48-45_540 copy.jpg
    2021-04-18_17-48-45_540 copy.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
All you can do is put decent tires on it. Don’t get crazy up sizing given the weakness is your gearing and up sizing the tires will cause power limitations also.
That platform is actually the camry platform which is used in various forms for the Lexus, Highlander and mini van. Pretty stiff platform given it was setup for mini van load numbers.
Stay as stock as you can and it will do 360,000 before typically a bearing failure in the v6 lets go?

scchen

@calicamper - You are correct. I am more concerned with reliability with the vehicle as it is about 15 years old. The only upgrades I am planning to do is add on All Terrain tires and if possible not upsizing. All terrain tires itself weighs more per tire compares to the All Season street tires and it adds to the vehicle. I am looking for peace of mind when I am out on those remote dirt roads. I don't need the vehicle to breakdown when I am out there. I am focused on keeping good maintenance on the vehicle to get more out of it. I am happy to hear the v6 can do up to 360,000 miles as I have more places to visit with this car.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
@calicamper - You are correct. I am more concerned with reliability with the vehicle as it is about 15 years old. The only upgrades I am planning to do is add on All Terrain tires and if possible not upsizing. All terrain tires itself weighs more per tire compares to the All Season street tires and it adds to the vehicle. I am looking for peace of mind when I am out on those remote dirt roads. I don't need the vehicle to breakdown when I am out there. I am focused on keeping good maintenance on the vehicle to get more out of it. I am happy to hear the v6 can do up to 360,000 miles as I have more places to visit with this car.
I ran these on my Subaru and then on my Sequoia and my Expedition will get a set. They are basically a hybrid tire more durable and bit more aggressive tread than a highway tire but not crazy heavy and over kill for typical graded road use. Tough tire by far my top favorite tire for needing something tougher than a highway tire but not wanting to kill mileage, road performance etc

Great tire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles