Overland Chef's Knife Selection

Cookout

Hi Everyone, really curious to see and hear everyone's go-to knife/cookware selection for overlanding/camping. I think I have mine pretty dialed for the most amount of versatility with the least amount of space needed.
Curious to see if I am missing anything or just looking for different points of view!

Wooden Spoon - Tongs 9 or 10'' - Metal Detachable Scissors - Paring Knife - 8'' Chef - Cleaver
IMG_5291.jpg

Cookout

I would add a serrated-edge knife, like a bread knife or a tomato knife. Otherwise, your selection is about the same for me.
awesome - yeah a good serrated knife is also useful for cutting big loafs of bread. Whats your carry system for the above? At the moment I have edge guards on the blades, and then they are jumbled together in a small bag. Thinking about making something safer and more contained.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
No Spatula? for knives I just like an ~8" chef and a paring knife, as long as they're really sharp they'll cut crusty bread. Dig those tongs.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
When tent camping, all cutlery and utensils are placed in a small plastic bin that is placed in a larger bin that contains all kitchen needs.

Riptide

Explorer
The Tiktaalik set that Carl made a few years ago, has been awesome. Simple, high quality, and space-efficient to store. Been a great asset to our tiny camper, and they get hauled to the cabin on occasion.

Sadly, it looks like they're no longer available.

4000lbsOfGoat

That setup is pretty similar to what we use but I'm curious as to what you might need the cleaver for?

If you don't already have a good storage solution then I highly recommend the ATC Camp Kitchen.

SOVAHandcrafted on Etsy makes good quality knife covers for decent prices too. They have standard sizes listed but if you email them they'll do any size. Lets us keep our knives in the Camp Kitchen with no issues.

Ragman

I have all kinds of knives that I use in the kitchen including high $$ carbon steel. For camping I use a set of cheap Kai knives that do everything I ask them to do. Granted I am more limited when I camp as well. For more robust items I also have a set of the Prometheus Field Knives.

TwinStick

Explorer
I like to try different knives depending on what the meals will be. My go to knives are a BK&T BK-5, BK-15 & a Gerber Freescape camp chef santoku.

When we are camping with the camper, I always bring a big chopper as well. It currently is a BK-20.

RoamIt

As a professional Chef, I have a set of old school Henkels that I have had for decades. The only other knife I've added is a Santoku. For the rest of the tools I do have a French whip, peeler/grater combo, heat resistant spatula, 8" tongs, ladle, and a cutting board (with a handle). I'm probably forgetting some odds and ends.

When I hit the road full time, I think I'll have to refine things, I have a tendency to overpack on the cooking pots, pans, utensils, JIC ;)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have the GSI knife set and am very happy with it. I got rid of the case and kept the knives with my kitchen stiff in my Adventure Tool Company camp kitchen bag.

1640450078310.png

1640449914116.png

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94