Overland Cargo Trailer - Questions

All,

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask the questions I need assistance with. Wife and I are planning on going full-time in 24-36 mos, just got a 2017 F350 SD, crew cab, long bed, gonna’ put a box on a flat bed on the rear, or a slide-in camper (box w/flatbed = strong preference).

We have a need to carry some bicycles, and 2 motorcycles, along with some tools and add’l clothes, etc. I currently have a 6x12 Carry On trailer, and want a 7x12 or close to that size, but with more than 72” interior height. And I’d like to be able to lift the trailer on the axle(s) and gain some approach/departure clearance. NOTE: We will be using this trailer in as gentle a way as is possible, but I want it more capable than I need it to be. I imagine we‘ll put less than 3K lbs in the trailer.

I’ve found a bunch of brands, but nothing that is like say a Black Series in a cargo trailer configuration, and nothing that is really non-pavement oriented. If anyone can steer me in the direction of any brands that you may know of, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Barry

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
You could try talking to a few trailer makers that make a trailer in the size you like and see if they could equip one with the Timbren Axleless suspension. We used the Axleless suspension on our little trailer and it was great.

Grassland

Lightning trailers has options list, like dozens of options, extra height, lights, etc. Might check and see what they offer.
Also I feel Colorado Trailers or something like that offers cargo trailers with small lifts and AT tires. Never seen one in person to speak to quality.

Lightning trailers has options list, like dozens of options, extra height, lights, etc. Might check and see what they offer.
Also I feel Colorado Trailers or something like that offers cargo trailers with small lifts and AT tires. Never seen one in person to speak to quality.

I did stumble across Colorado Trailers. I’ll check Lightning. Thx.

Barry

gatorgrizz27

You might want to do a little bit of research on people that have done the full time thing before investing a bunch in a trailer. If you plan to leave it attached the majority of the time, I’m afraid you‘ll quickly find it’s not worth the hassle and sell it, which will require you to revamp your truck bed camper situation as well.

You won’t be able to pull into many “hole in the wall” type restaurants, park downtown in any major cities you might want to explore, you’ll be hesitant to explore national forest roads for fear of them getting too rough or not being able to turn around, etc. This is from someone that pulls a 6x12 enclosed trailer almost every day. Currently behind a Land Rover LR3, I have had a crew cab long bed Super Duty, and it would be much worse.

It’s a great option for a weekend RV, not something I’d want if I were full timing. Put the motorcycles in storage, put the bicycles on a rack on the back of the truck. When you find areas you have to go back and ride on the motorcycles at some point in the future, take the camper off, load them on the flatbed, and go ride.

If the plan is to use it as more of a mobile base camp, where you park it at a friend‘s house or campground and then explore the nearby area for a few weeks, it might work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94