Overland Adventures - the journey to a new life

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hey all, I am a bit early on this thread but figured why not get it going now!?

I have been on the forum for awhile, built a lot of trucks and have done two drives down to Panama and back. Here is my two trips I did reports on here on ExPo.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/40676-The-Ultimate-Road-Trip!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53384-Pan-Am-Bum-Rush!

The pictures and videos are gone from those threads but the blogging is still there. After the last trip I knew I would go back but I didn't know when or how. I went down on the second trip to look at business opportunities which didn't really pan out but the trip(s) did plant that seed. On the ten or so day drive home from the second trip I made up my mind about some things, such as; I needed to finish up things here at home in the truck build department. And there were other things I needed to focus on as well. At that time, I had pushed things aside in my life for at least the last two years in order to travel and was feeling the need to complete these things I had started. I also needed to clear out debt, get myself the right truck and come up with a solid long term plan. Well I have been working on all that since the spring of 2011. I got side tracked a bit (mostly in the truck department) but this year decided I am buckling down and getting this all going. Some lifelong and best friends passed away recently and this really motivated me to get it all going, not in another year or two but now.

I have pretty much liquidated one of my businesses and am in the process liquidating the other. All of my stuff is being sold and I have sold a fair amount already. I am clearing out all my personal possessions and will only keep a few small boxes of family stuff that a family member will hold onto for me. I am moving out of my house that I have been renting for the last 13yrs and I am giving my 14yr old dog to a good friend. I have six years in my passport and over 40-pages. All I am keeping is what will fit into my 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser. The vast majority of this take with me stuff is adventure gear. For most of the summer I have been setting up my Land Cruiser for this trip.

Here is the truck build thread,
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/160576-UZJ100-built-for-the-long-trip-south

I am not married and have no children. I own a couple small businesses but to be honest am burnt out on these careers. I have been self employed for 17yrs and have been working in the same career and industry for most of my life. I have friends in the adventure tourism industry and have dabbled in it myself a bit but this is a completely new career for me. That is a big move at my age to take up a completely new career but I do have vast experience in business, travel (overland) and the outdoors. I can also fix most things on any Land Cruiser fairly easily, I have been building trucks for over a decade. I am also furthering my education and obtaining certifications that fit this new career. I am an outdoors guy who has always enjoyed active outdoor activities. Ya know, kayaking, surfing, snowboarding, rock climbing, fishing, backpacking and more! So I have decided to start an adventure travel company down in Latin America. I have named this business "Overland Adventures" which will be providing small group adventure trips via overland. I will be using Toyota Land Cruisers as my fleet vehicles. This thread and trip report will give you a clear picture as to what my trips are all about and what is offered with Overland Adventures. We will literally be designing and building active adventures on this trip and in this thread.

However, I won't be starting the business immediately, there is much work to be done on the ground down south before I am running a full on adventure tourism business. That is what this thread is about. The first trip will be exploration, route finding and setting up contacts. There is much to be done in these areas before any trips are being offered to the public. For the most part this thread and trip report will be just like any other where we share our adventure we are on. I won't clutter it with the business side of things to much, that is stuff for me and the people I will be working with not you the reader of our adventure.

I was in Baja the winter of 2014/15, we pulled down onto the beach at Cabo Pulmo early in the day and there was a pair of Mexican guys camped in the ruins on the beach. It wasn't long before the younger of the two (it was a father-son pair) was hanging out at my truck drinking beers and telling stories. Turns out this young Mexican guy had just crossed the Sea of Cortez with his father on a sit on top sea kayak! They had also weathered a class 5 hurricane on an island huddled in a cave for three days. Needless to say the stories were amazing! This young guy also had a way about him that I don't often encounter in people in their early 20's. I have stayed in touch with this guy and he is joining me on this first trip to start a new life. He has already committed to at least 3yrs for the adventure, journey and working with me in the company.

I am aiming for leaving around December 1st. I have family in Oregon (also grew up there) and also in California. So I plan to spend most of December in Oregon and California visiting with family and friends. By January 1st though I plan to be in Baja, I have already been to Baja mutiple times but there is still much down the peninsula for me to explore. I am taking at least one of my uncles with me at the start of the trip. My uncles used to go down to Baja with my grandfather decades ago but I have never been down there with them. The first couple weeks will mostly be family time and taking it easy with my uncle. I will also be connecting in Baja with my Mexican friend to start our long journey. We will spend at least a month in Baja before heading to mainland via the ferry. After Baja we plan to do some exploring in the Altar Desert. From there we will just head south to the Mex200 and drive it from Puerto Vallarta to at least Puerto Escondido. Beyond this there is really no solid plan other than to go slow, explore and start doing what is necessary to set up trips and structure the company. Every country on the way to Panama will be explored and possible trips designed for these countries. Once we feel we have explored Central America enough we will ship the truck to Colombia and continue on. My eventual plan is to drive nearly every country in the Americas and reach Tierra del Fuego. The plan is to eventually have the company operate in all of the Americas but this will take more than one fleet of trucks and also more than a year or two to set up. This is my "end game" plan and how I plan to spend the rest of my life. I am 43yrs old so figure I got a solid 20-25yrs to build up this business, set some roots and live the dream to the fullest. As such I am in no hurry to get to TDF.

Under 90-days now to my planned departure date. Lot's left to do. It is not a huge deal if I don't make my Dec. 1st departure date, I am just wanting to be able to use as much of the good season down south as possible before it is over and the rainy season starts. I know from experience I can easily take six months to get to Panama. I will just see how it goes, some truck builds for clients may hold me up a bit as well as one last truck of my own. I need to get this truck of mine finished up more in the build and then sell it off. I have already sold several of my trucks along with my main business and other things as well. So I am making progress but don't feel the need to push myself to hard to get going. This is a big move I am making and I should be ready to go when I leave.

Every day on this trip we will be following a life of adventure. We will be scouting rivers in a white water boat, exploring the coastlines in sea kayaks, finding remote surf breaks, backpacking into the jungle and wilderness, rock climbing where ever possible and fishing anytime we are near a body of water. Cities, ruins, culture and natural history will also be part of our trip and daily activities. It is to be a grand adventure for sure that will lead us to a life of adventure doing what we love to do. I hope you will follow along as my Mexican friend and my self take a long slow drive south and build a business as we go! :)

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks a bunch for the positive feedback Frenchie! That is really good to hear. I have no desire to make a ton of money, just live a simple good life filled with what I love. I like to work but I got to have passion for it which I don't currently have.

Cheers

Sounds like you have quite the plan and it will be interesting to follow your progress. My wife and I are driving the Pan Am to TDF starting in less than a month so we ought to be about a month ahead of you. It is always nice to have contacts along the way especially those from Wyo!

Do you have any initial preferences as to where you would like to set up your business?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you have quite the plan and it will be interesting to follow your progress. My wife and I are driving the Pan Am to TDF starting in less than a month so we ought to be about a month ahead of you. It is always nice to have contacts along the way especially those from Wyo!

Right on! We might cross paths, the road is kind of like that. I will be going slow though, my last two trips were fast, this one will be slow. How long do you plan to take to get to TDF?

Do you have any initial preferences as to where you would like to set up your business?

Really at this point, as long as it is not the USA, that is all I am thinking about. We don't need to get political here but man oh man are these two awful choices this time around, only has a small part to play in me leaving but it is playing it's part to push me forward (south!). I have only been as far as Colombia too so lot's left for me to explore in S. America. I am going to be a bit of a nomad for awhile.

Cheers

Last edited:
We are shooting for a year and a half but I suppose we will have to adjust the pace based on how long our funds last!

It will be interesting to see where you end up and we hope to run into you along the way. Cheers.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Things are coming together more. I have pushed the departure date back though to January 1st. I would like to be in Mexico for New Years, that is up in the air. Leaving a 20-year life and two businesses takes some time. Just recently picked up a DJI Phantom 4 so will be doing lot's of video stuff on the trip. Truck build is coming along nicely as well. I won't say much yet but I have acquired a few sponsors-partners for the trip as well.

My Latino friends name is Roy. He has a lot of great pictures on his Instagram page from his previous adventures.
https://www.instagram.com/roymorrill/

I recently started an Instagram account, just for this trip and adventure.
https://www.instagram.com/ians_overland_adventures/

And here is our FB page if you do FB.
https://www.facebook.com/overlandadventuresTLC/

This thread will continue to be kind of mellow until the official launch date which is sometime around January 1st give or take a few weeks.

Cheers

mikeindustries

Navigator of life
Good luck on your plans. A lot of people sit back and dream of what you are planning, the courageous ones are the ones taking the pictures!
Sub'd

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Good luck on your plans. A lot of people sit back and dream of what you are planning, the courageous ones are the ones taking the pictures!
Sub'd

Thanks! I am really not doing a ton of planning though. I got a basic idea of what I want to do in the future for work. I have given it a lot of thought but not a lot of planning. I figure the planning comes when I am there and even then I am not HUGE on planning things all out. Not for myself anyways, obviously if I do guided trips they will be 110% planned out.

I find it is just nice to go, figure things out day to day rather than sit around for months working out locations and perhaps routes on a map here at home.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well I feel like I can name our current sponsors after having talked to a number of them recently.

-TRAK Kayaks, Life Unleashed! http://www.trakkayaks.com/
-Stohlquist Water Wear. http://www.stohlquist.com/
-Adventure Medical Kits. https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/
-Total Chaos Fabrication. http://chaosfab.com/
-and we are "pro" sponsored with Seeker fishing rods. http://seekerrods.com/

I would also like to thank Mountain Khakis for their contribution to our trip in the way of a gift certificate towards their products. http://www.mountainkhakis.com/

Proud to have these companies on-board supporting us and our trip. Nothing is free though, we have commitments to fill for the products including much social media interaction and tags as well as photos and video productions. We plan to be pretty involved with TRAK for a long time to come. Really happy to be working with TRAK since without them we wouldn't be able to carry sea kayaks on this adventure. Hard shell boats just take up to much room not to mention make you stick out really bad which means not low profile as you travel. We feel the TRAK Kayaks compliments overland travel perfectly and we plan to show this in our journey. If you like to explore by boat or have even just thought about that go check out the kayaks at the TRAK website. Incredible collapsable kayaks that pack down into golf bag sized bags. When it comes to international travel I don't think there is anything out there that beats a TRAK if you want to take a big boat with you. They also paddle amazing! Several sponsors we are going to be "ambassadors" for on their websites.

I know it is in my signature but here is a link to my youtube channel, keep on eye on this as the trip begins to unfold as this is where we will be uploading most of our videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvvbkGtRPjRvkyTNyVuXQQw?view_as=public

We are going to pursue a few more sponsors but we are running out of time for a lot of that. It is time consuming and work reaching out to sponsors. Roy has been working on a few sponsors down in Mexico as well. The truck build is coming along nicely and making progress in that department. Making progress in other areas too but still so much left to do before departure.

I had said we are not planning much and we are not in terms of routes, destinations and so forth. However we do have some places we have been talking about that we plan to visit such as; Isla Angel de la Guarda in Baja, the Altar Desert in Sonora, Roatan and Copan in Honduras and also I am already thinking about a big trip out to Isla Coiba in Panama. We will also probably base out of Guanajuato for awhile in Mexico doing white water and rock climbing and exploring. Driving down the Mex200 from Puerto Vallarta to past Puero Escodido is also on our list. We plan to run some rivers on the Mexico-Guatemala border, possibly in Belize and some other CA countries. I also have a few epic 4wd trails on my list in Panama and several other CA countries. These places are all just what has been talked about recently with Roy and myself. In pervious trips I blasted through many areas fast so I have a lot on my mind in terms of locations I have seen but not really explored yet along with tons of places I have not seen yet. We may bounce all over the place on this trip, the trip is not planned in terms of let's just keep moving south at a steady pace or even at a slow pace. If we end up in Panama as the rainy season starts we may come back up to Mexico for the summer of 2017 rather than pushing on to South America at the start of winter down there. Much rather start in S.A. in the spring. Just see how it goes and feeling very flexible in terms of schedule and time. Since we don't have jobs to come back to and this adventure is meant to discover a new life we are open ended when it comes to time. On a budget for sure like any overlander but not going to let budget define us or stop us or determine our schedule. We plan to be generating some kind of money on the road in the first 6 months or less.

Cheers

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Things are coming together more. I have pushed the departure date back though to January 1st. I would like to be in Mexico for New Years, that is up in the air. Leaving a 20-year life and two businesses takes some time. Just recently picked up a DJI Phantom 4 so will be doing lot's of video stuff on the trip. Truck build is coming along nicely as well. I won't say much yet but I have acquired a few sponsors-partners for the trip as well.

My Latino friends name is Roy. He has a lot of great pictures on his Instagram page from his previous adventures.
https://www.instagram.com/roymorrill/

I recently started an Instagram account, just for this trip and adventure.
https://www.instagram.com/ians_overland_adventures/

And here is our FB page if you do FB.
https://www.facebook.com/overlandadventuresTLC/

This thread will continue to be kind of mellow until the official launch date which is sometime around January 1st give or take a few weeks.

Cheers

Ian,

Congrats on making the leap and going for it. I just gave your instagram a follow, I'm @theroadchoseme

Let me know if you have any questions about Latin America - it was a few years ago, though I did basically every country over 2 years (skipped brazil, venezuela, and the little ones in the north East)

Also, you'll find http://wikioverland.org extremely helpful!

Have fun! I know you will.

-Dan

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dan! I am following you as well on youtube and instagram. Great adventure you are on! We certainly will ask you any questions if we have them.

By the way, I have always wanted to do Africa, maybe some day. Stay safe out there and enjoy the adventure! :)

Cheers

EMrider

Explorer
Best of luck in your endeavors. The determination to create a business around your passion is admirable, and increasingly rare.

I have zero knowledge of the adventure travel business, so consider this a rookie question.

Why such a broad multi-country focus instead of specializing in a smaller geography for your tours?

Look forward to hearing more as the plan unfolds.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz