Overland 5th Gen 4Runner Build

Decided I'd contribute to the community by starting a build thread for my 3 month old Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition. I've been a jeep guy for a while, but after lots of research and a little inspiration from others, I decided to pull the trigger and pick up a 4Runner.

Current Build:
Front Runner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack
Front Runner Outfitters Shovel/Spade Mount for Slimline II
TRD Pro 17'' Alloy Black Wheel x5
BFGoodrich KO2 275/70/17 x5
Eezi-awn Jazz RTT
CBI Offroad Fab rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, dual can holder, and camp table

image_zpsctzfnnkl.jpeg

IMG_0225_zpsnsgsl4af.jpg

Start of build - 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition w/ KDSS

IMG_1100_zps1wazifmg.jpg

Build Pipeline:
Icon stage 2 suspension lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
Safari Snorkel (Currently unreleased)
Dual battery system
ARB Freezer/Fridge

Last edited:
One day after purchase, a buddy of mine and I hit the road for Grand Teton National Park. There's only one "Off road" trail in the Tetons, and you could easily do it in a stock all wheel drive Subaru, but we got our fill in the surrounding greater Yellowstone ecosystem where there are several trail systems maintained by the National Forest Service.

IMG_1168_zps7d0j5pjf.jpg

IMG_1121_zpsnujq0fg0.jpg

I decided on a Front Runner Slimline II roof rack. Primarily because I didn't want a full size rack, but wanted lots of options for side mounting accessories as I knew I'd have a tent up top. Not only did Front Runner fit the bill perfectly, but their customer service and support is second to none! Every time I've called with a question or for a purchase, the people blew me away.

Assembled and installed from my own home. I miss having a garage. :(

IMG_1285_zpstbl6hicm.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsnlqrj7md.jpg

IMG_1327_zpsnbngoeye.jpg

Installed both the Front Runner Shovel/Spade Mount and new wheels and tires. 4 Wheel Parts currently has an amazing sale on the new BFG KO2's. Since they didn't have them in stock at the location where I'm from, I called my local Discount Tire and they matched the price!

These are BFG KO2 275/70/17 on stock suspension. No modification necessary. I've tried in forward and reverse at every angle and have found zero rub. I'm sure I'd get some up front if I were flexing on more challenging trails.

IMG_0225_zpsnsgsl4af.jpg

IMG_0224_zpszhzzf0we.jpg

Very nice T4R. Do you get any appreciable wind noise off the roof rack?

Thanks! No wind noise at all, highway and surface streets. I'm using the wind shield that is provided by Front Runner that mounts just under the front of the rack. Also, no noise with the shovel mounted.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
nice looking trail....once I get tired of my WK it will be a 4RT or a Wrangler to replace it...

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Such a good start. Where'd you pick up the wheels? I'm curious how they'd look on my first gen tundra...

Ps. There are way more offroad trails in the Teton area, they're just a little hidden and off the beaten path

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
I decided on a Front Runner Slimline II roof rack. Primarily because I didn't want a full size rack, but wanted lots of options for side mounting accessories as I knew I'd have a tent up top. Not only did Front Runner fit the bill perfectly, but their customer service and support is second to none! Every time I've called with a question or for a purchase, the people blew me away.

Assembled and installed from my own home. I miss having a garage. :(

IMG_1285_zpstbl6hicm.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsnlqrj7md.jpg

IMG_1327_zpsnbngoeye.jpg

Your build is looking great! Definitely going to be following this build! Let us know if you need anything in the future!

-Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior