overhead console

rayra

Expedition Leader
I added a dual port USB to the back side (vehicle front facing) of my Sub's factory overhead console, splicing into the courtesy light power line. Provides power for my suction mounted dash cam and my iphone holder. Works great. And since the courtesy power cuts 10? mins after the vehicle is shut off / locked, I don't have to worry about the parasitic load of the USB inverter runnign all the time. Although if I ran constant hot power there I could have the dash cam running all the time. Maybe that's another new circuit I have to add to my Aux battery / rooftop solar setup.

powerports25.jpg

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-ports-switches-on-my-gmt800-suburban.159915/

On the square body GM thing, old time catalog car part / oddball invention company JC Whitney long offered a high tray which attached at the top of the windshield using the sun visor mounts. The sun visors then in turn bolted to the bottom of the tray. Gave a tall full width shelf that was big enough to mount a CB radio in and store a ton of stuff. It's an idea that could be adapted to just about any vehicle.
You'd want to use a material that is sturdy enough but won't break your skull in a head-on collision. Foamcore, some balsa wood. Trim the edge with some of that u-shaped pinch-weld trim stuff or foam that goes around the lip of your vehicle's door openings.

ardevor01

Every vehicle is different. Some just beg for overhead storage.

I re-purposed the worthless "sunglass holders" for switch panels in the overhead on my build.

Nothing more will be put up there though. Simply isnt the space, and I much prefer to have things safely stowed.

46562917651_e9ae8b6117_b.jpg

31778926907_2e7f93d3a2_b.jpg
Where did you get the panels to do that or do you make this yourself?

Reactions: WVI

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
lol

Where did you get the panels to do that or do you make this yourself?

Yes, as shown by RAM5500, the panels are nothing more than the sunglass pockets.
But they were flipped around and modified to work as I needed for the switch console.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles