overhead console

southpier

Expedition Leader
yay or nay??

i like the idea of "right at my fingertips" storage & controls, but am concerned in the event of "sudden stops".

any general consencus?

thanks

Snagger

Explorer
If it's strong and secure, with no loose articles, and has rounded edges (and if close to your head plenty of padding), I can't see any problem.

java

Expedition Leader
if there is enough head room go for it. i had switches up there in one rig and it was a nice spot for them

rusty_tlc

Explorer
That is an area that is way under utilized IMHO. Sunglasses, maps, chapstick, cell phones, the possibilities are endless. if there were a clean solution for my Land cruiser I'd be all over it.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I know the Aussies make really nice ones for my Montero w/ space for switches, radios (CB & 2M, etc), compartments, etc..:drool:

here4fun

Observer
I am not certain which vehicle you are looking to fit. Misch 4x4 makes an overhead shelf that fastens to the factory sport cage found in several models of Jeep Wranglers. There are also overhead consoles with a locking compartment from Tuffy Security Products along with a blank plate version from Kilby Enterprises.

I hope this helps....

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There's a factory overhead console available for the Astro/Safari that had a trip computer/compass/barometer, plus sunglasses storage, garage-opener box, more map lights, etc.

Once I get my pop-top solution installed, I'll see about fitting it, or modifying it to fit. I have to wait until then because depending on how the pop-top is installed the ingress/egress portal may get into the area over the driver's cabin.

I've always loved overhead consoles for switches and radios too, close to hand without interfering with the factory dash layout.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve made custom ones from sheet metal for square body Chevy trucks before. There is an amazing amount of space available there. Sorry, no photos, that was before digital cameras.
If you are looking for something more complete, wander a junkyard looking at luxury cars. Many have nice ceiling consoles, and junkyard stuff is cheap enough to modify.

Kraqa

IMG_20180306_211600_398.jpg

IMG_20180306_211600_399.jpg

20180306_211335.jpg

and powdercoated texture black

20180605_200339.jpg

s.e.charles

the Savana had room if I had needed it, but headroom in the Tacoma doesn't encourage it!

great interesting storage solutions though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles