Outside speakers

coronan

Hello,

I'm interested in adding exterior speakers to my camper. ( I already have 2 interior speakers and a stereo.)
I understand marine grade speakers can handle being outside.

Where do I find winterizing covers?

What is an economical way to turn them on or off?

Any recommended 6" 3 way or 6x9's

Thanks!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
yes marine speakers are designed for being exposed to the elements. Speakers are powered by the audio device, like a radio and are powered by that audio source.

R Thomas

Observer
You can get switches for turning them on and off. Search for speaker selector or speaker switch. You can get I them with or without volume control.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Should look into a standalone Bluetooth speaker box. This way it can be used at home and everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coronan

A bluetooth speaker does not play sound inside AND outside the TT. Besides I just installed a new bluetooth head unit. Volume and play list control from my pocket (phone).

Is your bluetooth speaker 200 watts?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A bluetooth speaker does not play sound inside AND outside the TT. Besides I just installed a new bluetooth head unit. Volume and play list control from my pocket (phone).

Wow, I hope I'm never camped close to you! :)

I use one of the ion job rockers, which is 50W and runs 50 hours on a charge. It's a good durable speaker. I have a regular single-DIN stereo inside the camper but already have 4 speakers wired inside.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Should look into a standalone Bluetooth speaker box. This way it can be used at home and everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, I bought a Mega boom and it works so well, battery life 8 hours min, and you can take it anywhere. The sound that you get from a small bluetooth like the Mega Boom or bose is pretty impressive.

runuover

Observer
Hey you should check out Terra Speakers!! They are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty I have them at my house and they are amazing!

terraspeakers.com

snowblind

Adventurer

What is your end goal? Music obviously but are you looking to dance? Do you want to feel bass?

I have 13 speakers and 2100watts in the truck but I use a rechargeable Goal Zero speaker on the rare occasions we want music at the camp fire. http://www.goalzero.com/p/184/rock-out-2-rechargeable-speaker-

I'm not coming down on you for wanting music but putting external speakers might be more trouble than it's worth. External speakers are almost guaranteed to trade off sound quality for durability and installation. Why suffer the trade-off? A self-amplified speaker of some sort can be quickly set-up when you need or just put your interior speakers into boxes with long speaker cord so they can project out.

Also, do you realize that you're compressing the music to a lower quality to play via bluetooth? The wireless convenience is nice but wifi audio or analog audio out sounds better on a good system.

Matt

Amphibeast

Adventurer
I run a RIDUCULOUS amount of sound on the exterior of my bus. I've been in the pro audio, marine , commercial sound industry for 4 decades now…. If ya want to do external speakers to run of an existing system (a hub with all your sources, power +maybe on a solar and not have to be within 30 feet to run a BT signal) then yes external speakers are a nice solution but $$$$ to do it right. For $75 you can get a decent all weather splash proof box & run off your BT music player you keep near…. and use anywhere you are willing to also bring the iPod/phone.

I would recommend a 2-way speaker with at least 8" woofer for good mid bass ( your not gonna get "deep bass" thumping on any compact ext speaker) with a compression horn combo for distance clarity….. you can use an internal volume control for levels or an aux amp on a switch with adj gains. look for a 2-4 Ohm configuration for efficiency if using like a "car-audio" set up or run 2 8ohm speakers mono off a bridged amp…. make the speakers removable or someone will remove them for you! (also you don't wanna look like an ice cream truck)… by the way you will most likely piss off most of the forrest with "your tunes/volume"…….lol best bet is the simple one…… a small portable, I do own a couple ION "tailgaters" plenty loud too…. BT speakers are getting cheaper everyday as well…… good luck on your musical quest… just keep your usage application & budget in mind!

(I also mounted speakers below my vehicle as they are not as visible and closer to the listening area = less power/volume required)
your application may vary!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles