Outside (on roof rack) 12VDC power bus?

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I used 6ga stranded for mains power + ground. I used 4-flat trailer connector run from inside cab switch panel. Them I put relays and fuse panel in 6x6x4 waterproof electrical box on roof rack.

I ran the numbers and could have used Cat6 to trigger the relays if I wanted but never got around to it.

Once weather gets nice tomorrow I'll go out back and take pics of it - rack is currently off the rig so easy to get to details

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Fine stranded UL rated boat wire properly crimped, is IMO the only way to go for stuff at all exposed to the elements.

john61ct

Adventurer
Just be careful, use well vetted sources, Ancor being the leading brand is often over priced and sometimes counterfeit.

I would not trust most third-party sellers in the Amazon "marketplace".

One exception, another known good supplier is Alan Ferber at Bay Marine Supply in San Diego, great support fair pricing.

Bay Marine Supply
619-320-5899
baymarinesupply.com

eBay seller bay-marine

but better to buy direct.

EPM and Berkshire Wire are also just as good as Ancor

Pacer is a great maker just as good, less likely to be overpriced.

genuinedealz.com for short amounts, custom crimping

sister company

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Them I put relays and fuse panel in 6x6x4 waterproof electrical box on roof rack.

I ran the numbers and could have used Cat6 to trigger the relays

Would love pics! 6ga?? How many amps you sinking up there? ?. I'm also gonna run cat5 for signaling.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Would love pics! 6ga?? How many amps you sinking up there? . I'm also gonna run cat5 for signaling.
I think a total of 40a if everything was on at the same time. 10x50w lights, but I literally never turned them all on at the same time. And with LED there's not as much of a current risk.

Each post is a circuit, controlled via trailer plug, with a 30a auto relay in the box. Main power done via bolted wire. Excuse the rust, I am in the process of refurbing everything it's 10+ years old and I used stainless bolts but not nuts (I'm an idiot).
de249cd4ea3edf9ef7a83291ae68cfc7.jpg
e3819d265e4c7a8f1fd71a6a195102b0.jpg
253e0ab56fd44cc127a5a3d8f84e8bbd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles