Outlander Sport Build

HMSEndeavour

Nice rig!

Is the blackout hood standard or did you paint it on? I want to do the same on my Montero, but I am having trouble masking off the area with 100% precision. The shape always ends up slightly off.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Hi everyone! My wife and I have always had a thing for overloading when we owned our 2006 Xterra. We sold the X for our business and are now building our Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Not a car that a lot of people have really done anything with or thought about using as a donor vehicle but we wanted to share what we have done so far! The car is pretty rad, great gas mileage, sleek in appearance but there is not a lot of products out there pertaining to just this model.
The mods began when we were on a trip to Austin, TX and smacked into a deer......screwed up the front bumper, radiator, condenser and a few small things. When we got back home we thought F it. Let's build it into something rad! Having all the tools and means necessary we got to work and it has been way fun. The latest edition was Jeep Cherokee Snorkel and 29" AT's on some AR767 rims, bolt on fender flares, 32" light bar, 20 cub. FT. roof box, shovel mount. I still want to build a rear bumper for a tire carrier and RotoPax/Tread Trax Mounts. Next up will be a 2" lift with new shocks, front bumper winch and more undercarriage armor.
Here are a few pics from the last few months and I will get some recent ones up asap! Thanks for reading!
View attachment 459207
View attachment 459209

“Overloading “. Autocorrect made a funny!

OverlandMitsu

Update pics! We are FINALLLLLY back in Washington. Holly hell, I'm happy :) Here are a few shots. Snorkel is installed and working smoothly, new AT's are kicking butt. Only thing now is to finish the front bumper, make a rear tire carrier/fuel holder and a good lift!
image4.jpegimage6.jpegimage1.jpegimage5.jpeg
image3.jpegimage2.jpeg

OverlandMitsu

Nice rig!

Is the blackout hood standard or did you paint it on? I want to do the same on my Montero, but I am having trouble masking off the area with 100% precision. The shape always ends up slightly off.

No, it is Vinyl that I had. I was going to paint it but figured I may want to remove it at some point. You can get good quality outdoor vinyl on eBay for pretty cheap along with some knife-less tape to cut off the excess.

OverlandMitsu

Update pic. I filled in the mid section of the bumper a few days ago and did a temporary type of skid/radiator and condenser guard. I think I am going to leave the outers on the bumper open and just focus on undercarriage protection. Hopefully soon i can get started on some sliders, rear tire carrier and a lift. We went up to Twin Lakes outside of Glacier, WA. We have been there a ton of times before but in my Xterra. The road was totally washed out with big holes and rocks to crawl and the Sport tackled them like a champ! Only slipped once going up a steep rocky part but it pulled through with more momentum.....and I am trying to wear down these Chinese AT's that came on the rims. We'd like to get a good meaty M/T or a better A/T tire. I think these are made by Hankook so could be worse I suppose :)
IMG_6846.JPG

OverlandMitsu

We took a drive and Hike up to Artist Point here in Glacier, WA at Mt. Baker. Of course I had to stop and get a pic of the Outlander :) It's funny, to me now the car is normal but to others it's kind of odd so we get a lot of looks and stares and then I remember, Oh yeah I have a snorkel on an outlander sport haha. I found out that H&R springs is here in Bellingham, WA! I am planning on stopping in there in the next few weeks and hopefully working out a new spring setup. They have a spring for the RVR, ASX and the Outlander sport that is a 30mm lift. I think I may try and pair that up with the 40mm strut spacer lift along with an adjustable camber arms from MOOG should put us where we wanna be :)
UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_150e.jpg

OverlandMitsu

Wow, I haven't updated this in forever! The outlander has gone through some changes! Also the CVT took a crap on us so that was $3500 to replace :( I am reading about regarding CVT transmissions and learning they HATE heat, which is how ours died I believe. I do a lot of motorcycle towing especially when i lived in AZ which did not help the circumstances.
First up was the 1.5" lift! This was done via a strut spacer lift. Very basic but effective. Did not have too much negative effect on the handling luckily. I plan on getting some 30mm H&R springs installed soon! I also fabricated a rear tire carrier and new rear bumper. I am now able to carry a full size spare which is always a plus! the bumper received a slight face lift too. Getting it ready for a second light bar and winch install this spring. I built a rear hatch ladder to get to the roof basket a little easier. Mainly for looks but it does get used often.

Up next is a custom "stealth rack" low profile made from aluminum and a wet box storage area. I already have 235/75-15 tires which I like a lot. I am thinking about beefing up the size to 30x9.5r15's and going with a full MT :) Along with this are performance mods. I also have in plans to install a secondary transmission cooler and a fan to keep things cool!

Onto the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

OverlandMitsu

Anymore updates on this build man?

Yo!!! Not many updates as of late. I did make a new aluminum "stealth" rack with a new light bar. Lightweight and quite sturdy. I ditched the tire carrier and ladder. It was a bit heavy for my rear spring setup. Ive just been enjoying the thing pretty much! Most of it has just been keeping up with maintenance and such. I need to replace front strut that is leaking. Planning on new 30x9.50 tires soon too!

OH! I did re-do the front bumper a bit and added a light bar to the grill. Raised the fender flares a bit and did some body trimming for the new tires coming up soon too. I'd like to do a bit more lift if possible either with new HD springs or possibly swapping the outlander sport struts with the V6 big Outlander struts. They use the same top/bottom mounts. I don't have info on those so may need to pick up some used ones from a junkyard or eBay for trial....I am more active with posting pics on Instagram @droogvehicledivison

IMG_0932 copy.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG

OverlandMitsu

My "snow-lander" It is about that time of year!

I'm so torn on the snorkel. Part of me likes it as it is different but the other part of me wants it OFF! I get so many questions like "How deep you take that thing?" I get it... but come on :) I may ditch it and get a nice cold air setup but then again... I kinda dig it haha.

IMG_1170.JPGIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1177.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles