Outlander Sport Build

OverlandMitsu

Hi everyone! My wife and I have always had a thing for overloading when we owned our 2006 Xterra. We sold the X for our business and are now building our Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Not a car that a lot of people have really done anything with or thought about using as a donor vehicle but we wanted to share what we have done so far! The car is pretty rad, great gas mileage, sleek in appearance but there is not a lot of products out there pertaining to just this model.
The mods began when we were on a trip to Austin, TX and smacked into a deer......screwed up the front bumper, radiator, condenser and a few small things. When we got back home we thought F it. Let's build it into something rad! Having all the tools and means necessary we got to work and it has been way fun. The latest edition was Jeep Cherokee Snorkel and 29" AT's on some AR767 rims, bolt on fender flares, 32" light bar, 20 cub. FT. roof box, shovel mount. I still want to build a rear bumper for a tire carrier and RotoPax/Tread Trax Mounts. Next up will be a 2" lift with new shocks, front bumper winch and more undercarriage armor.
Here are a few pics from the last few months and I will get some recent ones up asap! Thanks for reading!
UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_14ef.jpg
IMG_6708.JPG

borison

Adventurer
Wow! Looks pretty cool, I love when people build the not-so-common rigs. I wouldn’t have thought there would be much for after market accessories on these newer Mitsubishi’s. Are the fender flares specific to this mode? Keep posting.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Crosstreks seem to get all the attention with these CUV overland builds.....very happy to see a Outlander / Outlander Sport getting a overland build.

OverlandMitsu

Thanks guys! Yeah, you do see a lot of Crosstrek builds. There's a few members over on the EvolutionM forum that have done some mods to they outlanders but I think we have one of the only's with a custom bumper and such. The fender flares are universal JDM style flares. We had to cut about 2" out of the wheel arch and this allowed us to fit the beefy all terrain. Here are a few crappy iPhone shots of the snorkel. I need to straighten the head a bit more upright but works for now. I think the photo angle makes it look more off then it really is. From the front on it flows with the A-pillar really well. I wish I had more time to finish the front bumper but that'll have to wait till I am back in WA. I want fill it in with sheet steel like the above cardboard mock up. The condenser is a bit exposed but has already been through a ton of trails and fire roads.....
IMG_6753.JPGIMG_6751.JPG

OverlandMitsu

Wow! Looks pretty cool, I love when people build the not-so-common rigs. I wouldn’t have thought there would be much for after market accessories on these newer Mitsubishi’s. Are the fender flares specific to this mode? Keep posting.
Thanks mate, no they are just universal flares we trimmed up to meet with our body lines. The rear doors were the most challenging but nothing an angle grinder couldn't handle :)

OverlandMitsu

@borison Haha, thanks man. We own a custom motorcycle shop and cut up new stuff all the time :) It really offends people haha. Yeah, we are going to be back in Bellingham, WA. Close to Glacier.

OverlandMitsu

The angle of the snorkel head is really bothering me, so when we get to WA I am gonna break out the heat gun and try and straighten it up. Then off to the lift!!! I wanna go BIG so not sure if I should do a full coil over swap and all the other essentials involved or start small with a 2" top spacer. There is a russian company how makes a 40mm spacer and then H&R makes a 30mm lift spring that I may do too. MOOG products has adjustable camber arms that I'll need to get too and most likely extend brake lines, etc.. If I can figure out how to get around a 3-5" lift. I mean if you're gonna lift something that shouldn't be lifted...Might as well go big :sneaky: The only other concern would be drive line axles. Not sure how much angle they can really receive without issues or complications :unsure:

borison

Adventurer
“ ....or start small with a 2”....” Concerned me a bit, until I read, “Might as well go big”. You’re already in this deep, better go big. I’ll hold your beer.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Wow! I freaking love it. I've liked the Outlander Sport since its debut, and it's cool to see you doing something different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior