Outfitting the new-to-me 2018 F-150....EcoBoost specific thoughts?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also, my experience has been those that alter their trucks are the ones with the most issues.

Yes, I agree that's why my guide when it comes to mods is "less is more."

For example, I'd love to add a 2nd battery like I had on the 'Burb to run a fridge. But when I think about the complex electronics and how they all work together, introducing a variable like a 2nd battery is fraught with potential problems.

At the end of the day, a simpler solution would be to simply procure a deep cycle battery for the fridge, totally separate from the truck. If I can figure a way to keep it charged, I'll be golden.

As for the stop/start feature, when it comes to "high tech", some people are "early adopters." They have to be the FIRST to get that shiny new tech.

Not me. I'm very content to be a "LATE ADOPTER." I want them to work out all the bugs first. Start/stop has been around a while, I presume that if it was causing major problems, we would have heard about it now. I also figure that any early problems were likely fixed.

Until and unless I experience problems with the stop/start, it will stay. I'm not a tree hugger but I do live in an area that is known for having bad pollution, so I don't mind doing my part to reduce emissions. If it saves me some $$ in the process, so much the better.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I bought an F-150 in June and put the Husky X-Act floor liners in it. They've been great. Seems like a more pliable material than the Weathertech so they fit the contours better. Also bought a Weathertech windshield shade (since we live in the desert). It's custom cut to fit the F-150 and does a good job keeping the sun out of the cab and off the dash.

If you're interested, I started a build and adventure thread here on ExPo. I've already made quite a few mods and there's more to come, including airbags next week > https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2015-f-150-adventure-rig.206821/

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Anyone have strong opinions or experience with seat covers? The options are bewildering. I had Marathon ballistic nylon covers on my 4runner, they were nice and rugged but definitely on the pricey side.

Looking for other options, canvas vs. neosupreme vs. ballistic nylon, pros and cons. Leaning towards the Neosupreme (i.e. cheap neoprene) just because they are more water resistant than canvas and less expensive than ballistic nylon.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
My thoughts:

The ballistic nylon ones I had in another truck were tough, but slick and hot. Not a fan. I’ve had neoprene as well. The odor was strong at first, but dissipated over time. They were thick and that affected the way I felt in the seat. May not be an issue with the newer covers tho. If I was to try covers again, I would go with the tightest fitting canvas ones I could find.

D

Deleted member 9101

I think @Jnich77 is leading you to the best pathway.

Start/Stop was designed for emissions reductions to meet EPA requirements. Improved fuel economy is a side effect. I suggest leaving it on. It doesn't hurt anything.

Also, my experience has been those that alter their trucks are the ones with the most issues.

Amen !

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It actually has a bed liner in it now which I think I will leave in place.

What do people not like about the stop/start? I admit it was a bit strange at first to feel the engine stop when I am at a stop light but I'm used to it now.

I know the technology has been around for a while. Have there been any specific problems with the F-150's that use the stop/start? I can understand concerns about what might happen in the future if the problem fails to work (fails to start when you're in the middle of an intersection or something) but I wonder how much of that is imagining problems vs. actually experiencing them?

I know I can disable the stop/start with the ForScan tool/app.
I would imagine with the stop/start that starter motors will be working overtime.
We had stop/start on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee rental and found there to be a slight lag in go-power. Waiting for the engine to start might prove dangerous in a situation where instant acceleration is needed to avoid say a car headed your way. I don't see the point in the added complexity for maybe a tiny increase in fuel economy aside from waiting in slow traffic.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The auto start stop saves fuel... I get 20-21 MPG in town because of it. The people that I encounter that don't like it are usually control freaks.

Really it pauses the motor, it doesn't turn it off. It primes the next cylinder it will fire and retards the timing so it starts up instantly. It also maintains oil pressure in the top end of the motor and the coolant continues to circulate on its own.

You can play with the pressure on the break peddle and activate it or start the motor early. The only time I turn mine off is at the drag strip.

Have you learned how to turn off the traction control and advanctrack?
Must be effective as a Ecoboost of a neighbors without the feature gets 15 in town. 2wd with stock tires.

D

Deleted member 9101

I would imagine with the stop/start that starter motors will be working overtime.
We had stop/start on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee rental and found there to be a slight lag in go-power.

Ford designed the starter and wiring for the task as well as a larger battery. Mechanically speaking, it takes far less effort than when you first start the motor. The motor is "paused" not stopped. The ECM retards the timing and primes the cylinders with fuel to make it much easier to start. It also maintains oil pressure during the process.

The motor will start before the break peddle is released and your foot moves over to the gas peddle, it takes less than a second.

Tonymorr

Must be effective as a Ecoboost of a neighbors without the feature gets 15 in town. 2wd with stock tires.

Not sure the start/stop has that much effect. Use of the gas peddle is more likely that biggest factor. The saying is that they are either eco or boost. The boost is intoxicating and hard to avoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles