Outfitting the new-to-me 2018 F-150....EcoBoost specific thoughts?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't want to clutter the forum with a bunch of threads so I'll just keep appending this one.

For those that didn't see my earlier thread, this is on my new-to-me 2018 F-150 that I just bought. Primarily will be used to pull our 20' travel trailer through the Rocky Mountains and wherever else we go, and to haul my butt to and from work and around town as necessary.

Color is called "Race Red" but to me it's more like "Fire engine red." Slap a Maltese cross on the door and everyone would assume I'm the Fire Chief!

F-150 small.jpg

Specs: 3.5 EcoBoost, 10 speed, 4x4, XLT package with 3.31 E-locker and the 36 gallon tank. I had to go all the way to Utah to get the exact truck I wanted but I couldn't be happier (so far!)

Now comes the fun/annoying/expensive part: Getting the new truck set up!

First things first, ordered a Leer topper. I went with the basic 100R cab high model. I specifically wanted the kind with the old-school flat rear window with an aluminum frame - the "frameless" rear windows look slick but if/when they break, they are crazy expensive to replace! Not only are the framed windows less likely to break (because they have a frame...) but if they do need to be replaced it's just a simple flat piece of glass. I also ordered tracks in the roof for a Yakima rack since we carry kayaks. Vented win-doors that will hopefully help me get stuff in and out of the bed without having to crawl all the way inside (biggest drawback with a pickup vs. an SUV like my old Suburban.)

NEXT OPTION: Floor liners. My last 3 vehicles have all had Husky floor liners so I'm inclined to stay with them. Wife had the Weather Techs on her old Honda CR-V and I didn't like them as much. They were softer (which was kind of nice) but didn't stay in place as well as the Husky liners.

Realistically, there aren't going to be a lot of "mods" needed for this vehicle. Not contemplating a lift at this time - the tires are still relatively new (truck has 18k on it) so I want to see how they do. Fortunately it has 18" wheels so tires are a little easier to find and less expensive than if it had the 20" wheels. If I do contemplate a lift it would likely be a very mild leveling kit to let me run 34 - 35" max tires (current tires are 275/65/18 which comes in at about 32" and I could run 33's if I wanted to without any mods at all.)

One thing I don't know much about is what specific things will enhance the longevity and good operation of the Eco Boost motor. I've heard about things like oil catch-cans and other turbo-related mods. What do I need to be looking out for? I haven't tried towing with it yet and I'm pretty sure it's got more power than I need so any modifications would be for the purposes of keeping the engine running well, not trying to squeeze any additional power out of it. So I'd welcome any input from any other EcoBoost owners out there.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
First question for the group: Seat covers. Any recommendations here? Cal Trend or Cover King? I'd like a camo pattern (both because I like camo and also it's good at hiding stains and dog hairs) and the Cal Trends are on sale now. I've had Marathons before but (a) they stopped making my favorite camo pattern (Desert DCU camo) and (b) they're on the pricey end of the market and I wasn't all that impressed with their fit on my '07 4runner. It's not that they didn't fit, it's just that considering they were about 20% more expensive than the competition, they didn't fit as well as I thought they should. I don't mind a less-than-perfect fit but I'm not going to pay a premium price for it either.

phsycle

Adventurer
Floor mats: Had Husky Xact before. Fit well and worked well. But this time, I got Oedro for 1/2 the price. Fits just as well. Driver's side is locked in-place. Passenger side moves a tiny bit, but not bad. I would purchase again. "SUBSCRIBE10" should get you 10% off.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Floor mats: Had Husky Xact before. Fit well and worked well. But this time, I got Oedro for 1/2 the price. Fits just as well. Driver's side is locked in-place. Passenger side moves a tiny bit, but not bad. I would purchase again. "SUBSCRIBE10" should get you 10% off.

Just checked Amazon and the Husky Liners had dropped in price and so were compatible with the Oedro (which I assume is a Chinese knock off company.) I decided to order the Huskies since I've had good experience with them in the past and while I was there I ordered a set for the wife's CR-V.

Anyone have experience with Cal-Trend seat covers? They are on sale as well. Getting the seats and floors protected in a new vehicle is a high priority for me, since I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Aside from the canopy, seat covers and floors liners you mentioned, i wouldn't do anything.

My truck tows our 20' trailer just fine. I've got factory sized duratracs that work great all year round in a variety of road conditions. I may go to a 285 next time just cause I like the look of a beefier tire.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
X2 on the Carhartts, love them!
And a good tire size is the 285/75-18, might fit as is, level kit at max... However, something to note- when you go to a light truck tire, aka load range E, you will trade off the ride a bit. Not bad, just firmer.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
X2 on the Carhartts, love them!
And a good tire size is the 285/75-18, might fit as is, level kit at max... However, something to note- when you go to a light truck tire, aka load range E, you will trade off the ride a bit. Not bad, just firmer.
That's what I'm thinking for mine when my tires are due to be replaced. I think it's a good size for these trucks.

2857518 2 inch level.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
I don't want to clutter the forum with a bunch of threads so I'll just keep appending this one.

For those that didn't see my earlier thread, this is on my new-to-me 2018 F-150 that I just bought. Primarily will be used to pull our 20' travel trailer through the Rocky Mountains and wherever else we go, and to haul my butt to and from work and around town as necessary.

Color is called "Race Red" but to me it's more like "Fire engine red." Slap a Maltese cross on the door and everyone would assume I'm the Fire Chief!

View attachment 536481

Specs: 3.5 EcoBoost, 10 speed, 4x4, XLT package with 3.31 E-locker and the 36 gallon tank. I had to go all the way to Utah to get the exact truck I wanted but I couldn't be happier (so far!)

Now comes the fun/annoying/expensive part: Getting the new truck set up!

First things first, ordered a Leer topper. I went with the basic 100R cab high model. I specifically wanted the kind with the old-school flat rear window with an aluminum frame - the "frameless" rear windows look slick but if/when they break, they are crazy expensive to replace! Not only are the framed windows less likely to break (because they have a frame...) but if they do need to be replaced it's just a simple flat piece of glass. I also ordered tracks in the roof for a Yakima rack since we carry kayaks. Vented win-doors that will hopefully help me get stuff in and out of the bed without having to crawl all the way inside (biggest drawback with a pickup vs. an SUV like my old Suburban.)

NEXT OPTION: Floor liners. My last 3 vehicles have all had Husky floor liners so I'm inclined to stay with them. Wife had the Weather Techs on her old Honda CR-V and I didn't like them as much. They were softer (which was kind of nice) but didn't stay in place as well as the Husky liners.

Realistically, there aren't going to be a lot of "mods" needed for this vehicle. Not contemplating a lift at this time - the tires are still relatively new (truck has 18k on it) so I want to see how they do. Fortunately it has 18" wheels so tires are a little easier to find and less expensive than if it had the 20" wheels. If I do contemplate a lift it would likely be a very mild leveling kit to let me run 34 - 35" max tires (current tires are 275/65/18 which comes in at about 32" and I could run 33's if I wanted to without any mods at all.)

One thing I don't know much about is what specific things will enhance the longevity and good operation of the Eco Boost motor. I've heard about things like oil catch-cans and other turbo-related mods. What do I need to be looking out for? I haven't tried towing with it yet and I'm pretty sure it's got more power than I need so any modifications would be for the purposes of keeping the engine running well, not trying to squeeze any additional power out of it. So I'd welcome any input from any other EcoBoost owners out there.
Sweet truck - I think the F150's are pretty much the best expo platform out there now, particular the one you got.

I really like the Weather Tech stuff, personally, have not had any issues with them moving since they are so form fit, but YMMV.

I had the Wet Okole covers on my older F150, lots of custom options, but they are kinda $$ but you can get exactly what you want.

Couple things off the top of my head would be to get a rubber bed liner and delete the stop start function.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice truck.

I think catch cans were a must for preventing carbon coking on the intake valves in the pre-2017 3.5’s, but with the additional injector Ford added in 2017, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal anymore. That being said, boosted engines will have more blow-by due to higher block pressures, so if you want to keep that gunk out of your intake a catch can couldn’t hurt.

D

Deleted member 9101

You have both direct and port injection, so you don't need a catch can. A more effective way to deal with it is too use a fully synthetic oil with a low NOACK rating. Also, ignore the oil life crap on the dash. Change it at 5k and you'll be ahead of most of the problems. The 3.5 likes to dilute the oil with fuel over time.

I prefer to run the NAPA Gold air filters, they have much deeper pleats than OEM.

Your 3.5 will have zero shortage of power, especially if you run premium fuel. IIRC premium fuel makes about 20 more HP than 87 octane. If you want more power, or don't like the way the tranny shifts, a tune will change it dramatically. I used Brew City Boost and couldn't be happier.

D

Deleted member 9101

Rear wheel well liners are worth every penny.

Also, whilst searching on Amazon, use the "filters" to select used. You can save a ton of cash on stuff because it was returned or the package was damaged.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
My 2018 xlt crew cab have a 2.5 inch leveling kit in the front.
Fox4 off road package.
Made it up Yanke boy basin a couple of months ago.
Trail was so cluttered with idiots in small vehicles that could not make it up and then just parked them on the pullouts and walked so as we turned around a couple hundred of feet from the top of the trailhead we did a..... ehhhh... uhmmmm..... 8 point turn with fam doing traffic control and spotting.
The truck is a beast and with carefully use of the locker in the rear..... this thing is really capable with stock wranglers even.
I think I am leaving it just like it is.

85_Ranger4x4

I would keep the stock air filter in it and keep up on checking it, boosted engines will suck more stuff thru a mediocre one than a NA engine.

D

Deleted member 9101

I would keep the stock air filter in it and keep up on checking it, boosted engines will suck more stuff thru a mediocre one than a NA engine.

There is no comparison between the Motorcraft and the NAPA Gold filter. The NAPA Gold fits better, seals better, and has a larger surface area thanks to deeper pleats.

With out a tune an aftermarket intake/filter only makes more noise in an ecoboost. With a tune it will widen the the power band, but not necessarily increase peek HP/TQ. The 2.7/3.5 use the same filter and intake as the 3.5 HO... Sooooo they flow pretty dang well...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles