Outfitting the new-to-me 2018 F-150....EcoBoost specific thoughts?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
MPG update, just for a data point:

This past weekend we had to go to a wedding in Northeastern WY (Sundance.) Decided to stay in a cabin rather than drag the trailer, so it was just the two of us, two suitcases and the truck.

I had filled the tank with 91 octane (that's premium around here in Denver) and had ~ 60 miles on the tank when we left for Sundance. I had originally planned on filling up at Torrington, about 200 miles from Denver, but by the time I got to Torrington, the fuel gauge was still showing well over half a tank, so I continued on. Arrived in Sundance ~400 miles from Denver with the fuel gauge still above 1/4. Drove around the next two days, including a trip to Devil's Tower and Spearfish, SD before finally fuelling up. When I did fuel up in Spearfish, I had gone 643 miles on that tank and it took 31.27 gallons (my Fuelly app generated an error saying "that range exceeds your vehicle's capability - do you want to show a missed fuel up?" :D ) For an average of 20.6 MPG, hand calculated (the dash gauge read something like 22.3.)

As part of my continuing data-gathering, I fueled up this time with 87 octane (mid grade for us) for the trip back. We got back yesterday with the tank still showing just over 1/4 tank and the dash gauge indicating 20.1 MPG. I'll top it off this week before our next camping trip with 87 octane and post the results here.

20.6 is considerably better than the Suburban ever did, even unloaded, and the 36 gallon tank gives unreal fuel range. Now if only I could find a comfortable setting for the driver's seat... ?

EDITED TO ADD: I should note that on the trip up to Sundance the wind was mostly at my back, so that was a helpful factor. On the way back the winds were coming from the West (our right) so I'm assuming MPG will be reduced. Typical cruising speeds were 70 - 75 most of the time. Wife wanted me to go faster because it is a long day driving across Wyoming, but I don't like driving over 75, especially with cross winds.

D

Deleted member 9101

Have you looked at the seat spacers? Some guys find the seat to be more comfortable with the rear of it slightly elevated.

Grassland

Interesting point about the Fuelly app.
I just use the browser on my desktop, I don't have the mobile app, but never ran into such an error.

The 36 gallon tank is awesome.

Do you have a tune or just a reprogram to compensate for the tires?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting point about the Fuelly app.
I just use the browser on my desktop, I don't have the mobile app, but never ran into such an error.

The 36 gallon tank is awesome.

Do you have a tune or just a reprogram to compensate for the tires?

I'm still on the factory 275/65/18 tires.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you looked at the seat spacers? Some guys find the seat to be more comfortable with the rear of it slightly elevated.

I've been messing with the seat settings to see if I can get something that feels right. It's weird, when I sit in it, at first it feels OK but after a while the underside of my right leg starts to ache and this eventually goes into my right buttock. Not the left. I don't know if there's something that's cutting off circulation or what but it's annoying as hell.

Got the new seat covers in and will try to put them on before our upcoming trip to New Mexico, our last camping trip of the season. Maybe the slight increase in padding or the different material will help?

dstefan

I've been messing with the seat settings to see if I can get something that feels right. It's weird, when I sit in it, at first it feels OK but after a while the underside of my right leg starts to ache and this eventually goes into my right buttock. Not the left. I don't know if there's something that's cutting off circulation or what but it's annoying as hell.
I’m not a physical therapist, but I could play one on TV after a lifetime of back problems! I had similar problems, and it’s really frustrating when you’re trying to drive. What you’re describing is likely to be some sciatic nerve involvement. It could be from working the skinny pedal and/or compression of the front of the seat into your hamstring area which then constricts the nerve. You may also have slightly twisted pelvis and misaligned hips, which are very common problems and can cause these symptoms. That was the case for me.

More padding under the affected area probably won’t help, since it will add pressure. The suggestion earlier in the thread to tilt the seat up from the rear a bit might be helpful. Checking your driving posture can definitely help — you want to be sitting more upright and not laying way back . So can using cruise control more often, almost like a hand throttle, which is something I have to do, and certainly getting out and frequently stretching your hamstring is really important.

The good news is that you can significantly resolve the problem by playing around with posture and by learning some specific stretches and exercises. Search on YouTube for “sciatica“ and “SI joint dysfunction“. There’s quite a lot of videos posted by physical therapists and trainers that can teach you some specific stretches and exercises to help. Also learning to use a foam roller can really help. Failing that, getting some treatment from a real physical therapist can be extremely. Failing that, getting some treatment from a real physical therapist can be extremely helpful. Good luck!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What you’re describing is likely to be some sciatic nerve involvement. It could be from working the skinny pedal and/or compression of the front of the seat into your hamstring area which then constricts the nerve. You may also have slightly twisted pelvis and misaligned hips, which are very common problems and can cause these symptoms. That was the case for me.

BINGO! After I posted this I googled my symptoms and it came up as Sciatica or Piriformis Syndrome - the on line description was 100% what I was experiencing (it was interesting that the article I read pointed out that it was particularly common among people who drive vehicles with bucket seats.)

New seat covers went on yesterday and added a bit of padding plus a bit of smoothing out, I'm hoping it will help at least a little on our upcoming trip to New Mexico (6+ hours in the saddle) tomorrow.

Next week I'll probably consult a chiropractor. I'm hoping there are some specific exercises/stretches I can do to help too.

Good news is that with the last camping trip of the year coming up this week, so no long car trips for a while.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
BINGO! After I posted this I googled my symptoms and it came up as Sciatica or Piriformis Syndrome - the on line description was 100% what I was experiencing (it was interesting that the article I read pointed out that it was particularly common among people who drive vehicles with bucket seats.)
So would a bench seat be better? I believed the actual driver and passenger seats in the F150 are the same regardless if you have the 40/20/40 seat or the 40/console/40 seats?

Gunner207

Observer
Drove 16,000 miles from Massachusetts to Alaska and back over 9 week period in my F150. Make sure that you take your wallet out of your pocket, us right handlers tend to put it in our right rear pocket and it makes a difference on how your body feels when driving distance. Just a thought, but most of us aren’t in the habit of taking our wallets out of our pockets when we get in the truck.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94