Outfitter or Hallmark?

GREY.HOUND

Wow, good info and more importantly, real world stuff. And like I said, this would be 99% paved road travel to improved campgrounds, some with hook-ups, some without.

And gregd, is your truck 1/2 ton or larger and short bed or long bed?
Sean

gregd

Wow, good info and more importantly, real world stuff. And like I said, this would be 99% paved road travel to improved campgrounds, some with hook-ups, some without.

And gregd, is your truck 1/2 ton or larger and short bed or long bed?
Sean

3/4 ton short bed, quad cab (for the dogs). I was really surprised by how far the Ute XS overhangs the back. Through a conversation I had with the salesmen I was under the impression the overhang would be only 18" but in fact it's more like 30". This affected my departure angle more severely than I had expected but I am to blame here since I didn't thoroughly research this point. I worried that the drain valves would drag some butt if the occasion ever arose, since the valves are the closest items to the ground at the rear. I added a 5" lift with Bilstein HD's, and went 35" tires to increase the departure angle. Mileage bites but I can go anywhere where the trail is wide enough, and this is more what I was after - no campgrounds for me. The ride was downright scary before the mods with all the swaying and porpoising but it is quite manageable now, even at 75 mph.

moosetags

I spent about 18 months researching pop-up truck campers before purchasing an Outfitter Apex 8 Long Bed. I needed a truck camper without any overhang as I planned to tow our Airstream travel trailer with the truck camper on board. I shopped them all, and eventually narrowed it down to the Outfitter Apex 8 and the Northstar 850SC. I had ruled out the Hallmark because they did not offer a north/south sleeping arrangement, which was an absolute must for us. We finally decided on the Outfitter due to the construction and features offered. We ordered the Outfitter in May of this year and took delivery at the Outfitter Factory in Longmont, Colorado, on September 24th.

We gave used our Outfitter extensively for the last three months. The fit and finish is excellent. It camps good, sleeps good, and works very well for our purposes. It also handles very well on the road with or without the Airstream in tow. We have now covered about 15,000 miles with the camper on board. Our truck is a 2011 Silverado 3500 4x4 crew cab long bed SRW. We have been in the back country with it in both Wyoming and Maine. It handles well and goes where we want.

Brian

Attachments

• DSCN7088.JPG
    DSCN7088.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 47

mudmony

Observer
WOW, sorry for your issues, outfitter is at the top of the list...this might have to go on the "pros & cons"

huntsonora

Explorer
Interesting that this is towards the top of the page as I stopped in to the Outfitter shop off Hwy 66 in Longmont just yesterday. I am in the market for a camper and had questions so I stopped in to see them. When I pulled up there was a guy working on a camper in the shop and he looked at us, turned around and yelled something to somebody else that I couldn't see in the shop and that was it. I walked into the office and stood there for quite a while (more than 5 minutes). It was long enough to put in one of the atomic bomb cinnamon candies on the counter and finish it before I walked back out of the office to look at the few campers they had there. I walked around, looked at a couple campers not knowing if they were for sale or in for repairs. Some had stuff in them like somebody owned them.

Long story short, I walked to my truck and left and the guy working on the trailer never said a word to me. I was there for over 15 minutes total and I just didn't feel that it was my job to walk over and ask for help. In this economy I was very surprised they didn't come out and talk about the features of their trailers. They did not even acknowledge me.

When I stopped in to Hallmark it was the exact opposite. I had a guy come out, show me a number of different new and used campers and went over the features and benefits of each one. I was extremely impressed with him and with their product.

Outfitter Mfg is no longer on my list of potential campers

Mit Fuso

Outfitter Apex 9.5 "problems" and solutions

I have a 2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5 that I've driven all over the western US, and it has held up well. The only significant problem I've had with it was a busted roll pin; I replaced it with a hard solid bolt turned down to fit into the rack, with just enough threads left to screw into a tapped larger hole in the aluminum. Problem solved. Yeah, the spring popped off the screed door and the flap that is supposed to cover the power cord port has broken off, but that's the way all campers and RV's seem to be built. I'm not too happy with the company's attitude either, but I've just done my own modifications rather than to deal with them. Otherwise I've been at least 30,000 rough miles with no trouble, and the thing works fine for us.

As to the jacks, I took them off (a few bolts) because I've never had the camper off the truck. They're going back on tomorrow, though, because I'm selling it ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...n-or-off-of-2005-F-250-Supercab-XLT-6-0-litre ) as well as my modified 2005 F250 HD XLT 4wd diesel because I an tricking out a Fuso FG for even more serious back-country work (It's got a 109" wheelbase and can negotiate motocross courses). Seriously, folks, how many people want to screw with loading and unloading a camper anyway? I would buy another Outfitter if it fitted my mission, and I would start modifying it right away. I'd also camp out at the factory and watch them build it and inspect every part of the process. Or, I'd just buy a clean used one like mine and save ten grand or so.

No manufactured product is without faults; you just have to consider them a canvas or a lump of stone to make into a real work of art.

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
I'm headed to visit both Outfitter and Hallmark in early December in Colorado. If anyone can give me a specific list of questions or issues to specifically ask about, I'll be happy to do so and report back here.

DROdio

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I argee with rotti, make sure and check fwc and phoenix, the 4 most "offroadable" popups are all offered within about 45 miles of eachother..although the fwc is an "import" :)

drodio

Great I added Phoenix to the list. I'm going to see Outfitter & Phoenix on day 1, then Hallmark on day 2.

We live in SF and have already visited the FWC factory. While FWCs are interesting, I don't think they're right for us.

davidv

Observer
Drodio, I live in the north bay and have had a Hallmark on a F250 for 3+ years. I'm a huge fan. PM me if you have any questions or want to make a trip over the bridge to take a look.

NothingClever

Explorer
FWIW for prospective buyers, yesterday I secured a custom Hallmark Everest build with Webasto diesel appliances (Dual Top and X100) for a single source fuel solution (pre-2007 diesel truck).

The truck and camper combo are for an international trip my wife and I want to make so I'm posting amidst the throes of the vaunted vehicle, camper and itinerary research phases.

We might be living along the Florida coastline for the foreseeable future so we went with the Bluewater Coosa 25 frame. Also, check out their soft solar panel and LED solutions...pretty trick options.

I didn't bother visiting Outfitter based on spotty reports here on the Whiffle Ball Gazette.

Good luck with your research...Outfitter and a Four Wheel Camper sales store are nearby so you shouldn't have a problem making an informed decision.

Last edited:

drodio

Oh man congrats, that's AWESOME. I too have a diesel, so I'd love to hear more about your diesel appliances choice. What did it cost you to go diesel? Did you get a Webasto diesel heater as well?

If you don't mind me asking, what did the entire camper total cost come to? (Ballpark range is fine if you prefer).

My wife really likes open flame cooking vs. cooktop, so I'm thinking I might still do propane for the cooktop, and a webasto diesel heater, which seem to be super efficient units. Although the thought of not having to deal w/ propane at all, and going 100% single fuel, is super alluring.

NothingClever

Explorer
We ended up buying a full-size XP. We love Hallmark's product (especially the bamboo and stainless steel interior) and their customer service is superb but in the end my wife and I think the XP will be the best fit for our family. The prime reasons are:

the homologated Webasto design
the "bay window" at eye level in the dinette
the external storage
the significant fresh and gray water tank size
the flatbed design
the security of "blocked" windows in the lowered position
the full-size door

If funds were tighter, the Hallmark Everest would be in the driveway. It's a superb product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94