Outfitter or Hallmark?

OTR

Adventurer
I'm between these two company's and want your guy's (and gal's) input. Oh, they will be used by the way and will go on the back of a new Tundra with an 8ft bed.

Thanks,
OTR

What models do you have it narrowed down to?

Outfitter:
Apex 8 (with bathroom)
Caribou 8 (without bathroom)

Hallmark:
Ute 8.5 (with bathroom)
Guanella 8 (without bathroom)

milo12

Adventurer
I owned a Outfitter Apex 9.5. Loaded with every option. I was so glad when I sold it. What a piece of **** It is typical junk RV construction. The aluminum in the frame is paper thin. I know because a jack got torn off and the repair shop showed me the inside construction. When they did the repair they beefed up the structure. After that I could see the non repaired side flex as the camper lifted, while the repaired side was rock solid.

I hear the Hallmark is better built.

18seeds

Explorer
I would buy a hallmark as i have never seen a used outfitter that aged well. 2 of those units were for sale on their lot.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My wood-framed Northstar still looks good after ten years and thirty-three Baja runs(admittedly average Baja service roads) Door is still square,no leaks and all components work like the day I bought it. The corners are glued,screwed and wrapped. Most joints are glued and screwed. I'm a firm believer in the aluminum-sided units of all makes also. They seem to weather better than fiberglass. After I win the lottery(dream on) an Alaskan will be in the works.

STREGA

Explorer
Proud ex-owner of a Apex 8, had a roof problem from day 1 that they could never solve, the customer service was awful, wieghed more than they claimed, and had to much fibreglass in the interior that made it smell really bad when the tempatures got warm(had to air it out for 15-30 minutes after opening it up before I could stay inside it). I would steer clear of this company. Had better luck with a couple of Northstars that I have owned in the past, although they both had some smaller problems too.

davidv

Observer
A distinct difference between the 2 campers is their profile. The Outfitter has basement storage increasing its height and center of gravity reducing one of the biggest advantages of a pop-up. I looked closely at both and bought a Hallmark.

theMec

Adventurer
I would buy a hallmark as i have never seen a used outfitter that aged well. 2 of those units were for sale on their lot.

18seeds - didn't you own an Outfitter at one point? I think I've seen you on the RV.net forum.

I've visited both companies since they are local. I have a short bed so I looked at the Hallmark Milner and the Outfitter Apex 6.5. They were both nice! Expensive & heavy too. I can't say why exactly but I liked Hallmark better but if I were to buy one - I'd have to visit both again - after reading all the relevant posts at the rv.net truck camper forum
->http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm Lot's of Hallmark vs. Outfitter there.

The weight of either one would greatly reduce my off road travel - even w/ my 3/4 ton. I'd think a Tundra would be at max payload (at least) after adding water, gear and people.

deminimis

Explorer
I spent a ton of time trying to decide between the two. Talked with mfrs and actual owners. When all was said and done, Hallmark got the nod. Of course, I bought something totally different because it was too good a deal to pass up, but if my current camper does not work out for us, I'll be buying Hallmark without a doubt.

18seeds

Explorer
18seeds - didn't you own an Outfitter at one point? I think I've seen you on the RV.net forum.

Nope I've owned a Palomino, 3 Lite-Crafts, and a northstar. I am pretty sure Lite-Craft is out of business. If I were to buy now it would be a Northstar, hallmark or FWC.

Right now it's a tacoma and topper. Keeping it simple for the next few years.

Colby Jack

Traveler
What timing!

Sorry to hijack
I just got a PM from Northern Explorer mentioning Hallmark as a possibility for my situation. I had already read this thread, but Hallmark somehow didn't get on my list.

@Davidv-- which Hallmark did you go with? On what truck?

Thanks.

Colby Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior