Out with the old, in with the Tacoma ute...

Caduceus

Adventurer
Nicely done!
I love the gerry can holder. I've been looking out for some, but I have a pet peeve about paying so freaking much on all the commercially available ones.

Youngunner

Adventurer
Another work week from hell over and done with, I can enjoy the cold weather that just rolled in!

So much progress to report. Got my Mombasa RTT today and mounted! Bedrug is installed.

Pictures to come.....

--

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great build so far.

What, if I may ask, are your intentions with the side door? If you have not already thought of it, putting in a nice drawer slider there, with the stove mounted to it would be really nice. Further you can get a small sink and set it up to attach it when the stove is slide out. Just run five feet of simple hose out of the sink so that it can lay down under the truck when you drain the sink.

The foundation has an AT Horizon with a tent on top and an awning on one side. My wife and I used it at the Expo this year, and I tell you what, that cook area was so nice, comfortably tall, and easy to use, and being under the awning was a real pleasure for sure!

I would also suggest that you run a twelve volt outlet to the rear near on the right side. Then get yourself one of those super cool ARB LED Adventure Lights (Quadratech seems to have the best price in a quick search). I believe they have forty some LEDs in there, and that was perfect for cooking at night, or just sitting out and having a conversations. Mine has a hook dead center (weight wise) so it hangs really nicely, and another one at the end of the light to cast it directionally. It was really a pleasure to have that light along. Plus it works well if needed for an emergency, like changing a water pump in the middle of the night or something.

Anyhow, super build, I am really enjoying the concept. I have been thinking about trying to build a commercial box into something expedition capable, but have not decided if I really want to. It is inspiring to see your build. Thanks for the pictures, and please keep them coming!

Brian

Youngunner

Adventurer
Bought a Mombasa tent. Has performed well. Withstood some 40-50 mph winds, but that was not a fun experience. The zipper holding the changing room on is pretty stiff despite lubrication. Wish the access to the back of the truck would zip from the top down so I can seal off the area under the tailgate.

It does feel top heavy on the freeway. I have completed a few 2000+ mile trips. Nothing too serious. Average about 15-17 mpg with the tent and all loaded. It will be coming off the roof and has a new permanent home on top of my trailer currently being built

P5190004.JPG

Attachments

• 0520121411.jpg
    0520121411.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Talked me into it...

OK, I love this build. So after consideration, and some luck I came across a used Century utility shell on CL for $80! PLEASE keep us up to date on this as I am needing all the insperation I can get!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
HOT DANG! I'm Lov'n It! Here I was on track with what I was going to shoot for and you bring this to the forum....now I have more options! You guys really make it hard on a guy. It's a great set up! :Wow1:

Youngrunner

Have been following your build..... well done!

Just a couple questions when you get a minute. Didn't notice anywhere if you mentioned the brand of your awning.... it looks great!

Also wondering what brand of tubing bender you have and where you found it.

Have fun with your well outfitted rig!

Youngunner

Adventurer
The awning is a campinglab (aka mombasa, ARB, etc). I have yet to use in it "battle", but it will be a welcome addition!

The tubing bender is made by Woodward Fab and retails for about 190.00. I bought mine from Summit Racing. Bends up to 1" square and 3/4 round. It is manually operated and takes some serious muscle. I bolted mine to a tree stump.

hck-spbendkit_w.jpg

adrenaline503

Explorer
Wow, that's exactly what I want to do with my truck. I have a flatbed with toolboxes so I have a few more fitment challenges. I wonder how tall it will be with the RTT on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles