Out with the old, in with the Tacoma ute...

Youngunner

Adventurer
Found some trunk liner at the local fabric store. Looks real professional and helps with sound insulation as well as reducing condensation buildup. You can see the cargo net hanging from some aircraft tie-downs. Made from an old postal truck barrier net.
P6290002.JPGP5220013.JPG

Windows installed and roof rack mounted:
P7100013.JPGP7110016.JPG

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
Nice... go fast goodies..... my favorite...

Now, how easily removable is that awning? I am loving the set-up........

Chase

Youngunner

Adventurer
Nice... go fast goodies..... my favorite...

Now, how easily removable is that awning? I am loving the set-up........

Chase

The space between the tent and awning was tight and access was almost impossible due to the orientation of my tent (folding over the back). I won't be mounting both tent and awning again.

Last edited:

G100

Adventurer
Wow, love to see unique funtional designs. I can imagine how much work that took. I am in the process of insulating and skining my shell as well. What type of foam did you use? I was thinking I am going to go with the blue DOW stuff.

Youngunner

Adventurer
I want to say the foam a urethane based medium density. I only bought it because it was cheap...No fancy research went it to that choice. Hope it holds up.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Such a nice set up

Keep posting with pics! I am wanting to do a very similar build, but with a fold out top like a Wildernest. How thick is the aluminum you are using for the front and sides? What about the inside? Any concerns about condensation build up?(I have read that this is a problem with aluminum builds) Keep up the great work!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
This is a kool idea. My Father in law has a fiberglass drop in work canopy that he uses for hunting. He can actually drive his Quad in there for transport, then when he is at the site it is his bedroom, etc.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Youngunner

Adventurer
The skin is .032 wall outside and inside with a one inch layer of foam sandwiched.

I thought about integrating a fold out tent into the shell, but most of the strength of the structure comes from the roof. The square tube frame is thin stuff. Really light weight, but needs some reinforcing to even put the roof top tent up there.

I am not worried about condensation for a few reasons. The insulated "sandwch" construction, the auto trunk liner carpeting that will be bonded to the entire interior, and the fact that only the dog will sleep back there.

I have a buddy that will be painting the outside to match the truck in the next couple of weeks. After that, the interior can be fininshed. Pics to come...

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Camper build

I guess I will go back to my original plans of building one from scratch if the aluminum isnt strong enough. I really want more room than the shell provides. Just thought that would save me fab time. Love your build. how much would you guess it weighs? Im using a 1-ton, so thats not as much of a concern, but still want the COG to be decent!

Youngunner

Adventurer
Love my spoolgun! This project was difficult because of such thin wall tubing used.

Not sure on the weight. It is easily managed with two people and feels lighter than my ARE fiberglass shell. Even with all the modifications.

The roof rack is on and I test fit the RTT. Pics to come....

--

SChandler

Adventurer
Nice job on the canopy mods. I recently picked up an aluminum canopy off of Craigslist with visions of making similar mods to it. I just wish I had a welder.:( Maybe I can rivet everything together. Thanks for the inspiration.

ADKdakota

Awesome build. I think that's exactly how I'd do it myself if I had a commercial cap. I've actually thought about doing the same thing but on a broke college kid budget I'm going to have to keep smacking my head off the one I've got :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles