Out with the old, in with the Tacoma ute...

Joanne

Adventurer
I can't see any of the photos. :( I tried on my smart phone as well just to make certain that it isn't this particular PC. No love.

Joanne

dyogim

Explorer
I can't see any of the photos. :( I tried on my smart phone as well just to make certain that it isn't this particular PC. No love.

Joanne

Looks like the photos were either removed or relocated from where ever they were being hosted from. Or the host is having issues with their site. I was able to see the pics yesterday and now only see broken image icon....

Youngunner

Adventurer
UPDATED!

So after many trips, I've decided to make a trailer for a basecamp and lighten the truck. The roof rack may come off or I'll make something even more low profile. Working on a build thread over in the trailer section...

Last edited:

otis24

Observer
I really like how these are modular. You can take off the canopy and have the tray. Very nice set up.

In the pics it looks like the flatbed is kinda low. Do you lose any up travel in the rear end?
Are you going to replace your hitch?
Do you know what the weight difference is between your old set up and the new one?

Youngunner

Adventurer
I really like how these are modular. You can take off the canopy and have the tray. Very nice set up.

In the pics it looks like the flatbed is kinda low. Do you lose any up travel in the rear end?
Are you going to replace your hitch?
Do you know what the weight difference is between your old set up and the new one?

I'm not sure of the weight difference, but definitely heavier. The Norweld canopy is built solid. I have the OME Dakar springs with the additional leaf and I have disliked them from day one. Too soft for anything but a stock empty truck bed. On this setup with the canopy empty and including the tent, I have approx. 1 inch of clearance from contacting the rear Timbren shocks. It rides in that annoying spot of constantly bouncing off the Timbrens. Once loaded for camping/hunting it rides great on the Timbrens. I have custom Atlas springs on my Dodge Ram and I will eventually have them make some custom springs for the Tacoma.

I'm working on a simple, low profile rear bumper/hitch.

Last edited:

otis24

Observer
I'm not sure of the weight difference, but definitely heavier. That Norweld tray is built solid. I have the OME Dakar springs with the additional leaf and I have disliked them from day one. Too soft for anything but a stock empty truck bed. On this setup with the canopy empty and including the tent, I have approx. 1 inch of clearance from contacting the rear Timbren shocks. It rides in that annoying spot of constantly bouncing off the Timbrens. Once loaded for camping/hunting it rides great on the Timbrens. I have custom Atlas springs on my Dodge Ram and I will eventually have them make some custom springs for the Tacoma.

I'm working on a simple, low profile rear bumper/hitch.

I have the same suspension set up on my 03' Extra Cab Tacoma- OME Dakar's with an AAL and Timbren's. I feel the same way. My truck rides sooo much better when it's loaded down. When it's empty it's pretty crappy. In the back I have the stock bed, camper shell, aluminum platform, drawer, fridge, 10 gallon water tank and a 19 gallon aux fuel tank out of a ford F150 so it's not crazy heavy but getting here.
I've also been thinking of going the custom spring route. I've looked at Deavers and Alcan but only a little bit.

I'd like to build an aluminum-foam composite flat bed camper with a pop top. Kind of a cross between the AEV OutPost 2 and a Vagabond outdoors wedge top. Either of those are amazing and I doubt mine will be as nice but it should function as well.
Once all that's done I'll upgrade my springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles