out with the old in with the new

rlrenz

Explorer
I bought one last year, and it does an excellent job of replacing my old 40# 1" rattle gun. I added a 1" 8 point x 1/2" drive socket to the box so I can use a standard ratchet wrench in place of the crank handle. I haven't tried yet, but with a 66:1 ratio, I should be able to use a torque wrench set to about 8-9 ft lbs to retighten the lugs instead of doing like I usually do and using my 1/2" impact to tighten them to the wrench's max of about 450#

westyss

Explorer
That, sir, was a great read - from the technical build info, to the quality work, to the great outdoor shots... thank you for taking the time to do this.

Waaaay back in there, you showed your long pipe cheater and breaker bar for lug nuts. You mentioned, perhaps, needing a 1-inch breaker. I did the same thing, at first, on our rig and damn near killed my back. Then I found one a torque multiplier and now my 110-pound wife can break the lug nuts free. One of these sets now rides in a side compartment. I got it through the Amazons and it's the best $90 I've spent in a long time.

View attachment 403112

Thanks for the comments!

I did pick up a torque multiplier just before I left for our trip, I am always worried about getting those lugs off in remote locations. Also re and re-ed the suspension with new shocks just prior to leaving......must of had a premonition or something but we really tested the truck this year, Mexico eats vehicle suspensions!

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
That, sir, was a great read - from the technical build info, to the quality work, to the great outdoor shots... thank you for taking the time to do this.

:beer::beer:

Yep. I concur. One of my favorite builds.

WestySS, thanks for sharing, that last set of trip pics was really cool. The Plyboo bamboo drawer fronts and floor, trim. etc looks really sharp. You are a true craftsman.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I too, just finished reading the entire build thread. That is an amazing vehicle you built, and the trip reports are just as good. The innovation, design, and craftsmanship is as professional as it gets.

Good luck with your future trips, and I will be following along!

That was a worthy read. I love the fact that you are out there and using your truck and camper for what it was made for. I let work get in my way and don't take all my vacation!:Wow1:
Yeah, crazy right? You have inspired me to get out even if it is a 'short boring trip'. I live in the woods, in the country, on a river, so I guess sometimes I am not motivated to get 'out there', since I am already 'there'.

Yves, thanks for sharing. Come see us down in Camas if you come thru Portland.

westyss

Explorer
:beer::beer:

Yep. I concur. One of my favorite builds.

WestySS, thanks for sharing, that last set of trip pics was really cool. The Plyboo bamboo drawer fronts and floor, trim. etc looks really sharp. You are a true craftsman.

Yeah I am definately not what I would call a craftsman but more just get it done but thanks for the nice comments.

westyss

Explorer
I too, just finished reading the entire build thread. That is an amazing vehicle you built, and the trip reports are just as good. The innovation, design, and craftsmanship is as professional as it gets.

Good luck with your future trips, and I will be following along!

Thanks patoz! We are really enjoying it, just prepping it for a trip from BC to Quebec, it suits our style of overlanding for sure.

westyss

Explorer
That was a worthy read. I love the fact that you are out there and using your truck and camper for what it was made for. I let work get in my way and don't take all my vacation!:Wow1:
Yeah, crazy right? You have inspired me to get out even if it is a 'short boring trip'. I live in the woods, in the country, on a river, so I guess sometimes I am not motivated to get 'out there', since I am already 'there'.

Yves, thanks for sharing. Come see us down in Camas if you come thru Portland.

DON"T TAKE VACATIONS! WHAT!! I found work got in my way of vacations so I stopped!

Right now we spend around 7-9 months year living out of this truck, it has worked out for us but I am not sure if it's that I got it right or we just adapted ourselves for it instead, give and take I guess.

westyss

Explorer
A few more.......

33775723825_a52e21cf58_z.jpg

33646104741_8b5f62ca49_k.jpg

33775828175_6444e48773_k.jpg

33390794600_d3aae4ff0a_k.jpg

B85

Adventurer
Love the lake photos !

What is your truck max speed (Black top) speed when loaded up ? Working on my M1078 and have been looking at changing the ratio in the axles.
Thanks, Randy

westyss

Explorer
Love the lake photos !

What is your truck max speed (Black top) speed when loaded up ? Working on my M1078 and have been looking at changing the ratio in the axles.
Thanks, Randy

Hmmm, top speed maybe 75mph?? Generally I sit on 65mph-ish, the comfort spot.

Which lake photo? Most are Sea of Cortez or the Pacific?

westyss

Explorer
Lake, water, whatever. It looked great ! LOL

At 65 +- what is your MPG ?

Last time I checked it was in the 16mpg range. A while back I posted some numbers on here, it was a comparison between driving on a trip one direction at a faster speed than the return and there was no real difference, oh yeah thats imperial gallons so US will be around 13-14mpg.

That one pic does look like a lake doesnt it, LOL

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks patoz! We are really enjoying it, just prepping it for a trip from BC to Quebec, it suits our style of overlanding for sure.
Hey Westyss, we left from BC to Quebec a few days ago, just crossed to Alberta... Would be great to meet on the road! Happy travel!

David

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz