Out with the old, in with the new...F-150.

CountryboyNC

Well, I finally started to have some issues with the 2013 f150. Have about 160k on the ticker and I wanted something with a little less mileage for pulling the travel trailer. It was a 5.0 with Bilstein 5100 at 2 inches with a roadmaster active suspension in the rear on 285/75/17 KO2s. When trading in I stripes the ditch lights, tuner, Softopper and VHF radio out.

Wife and I went to the dealership to look at a used truck, I ended up walking out with a 2019 leftover with 32 miles on it with a 6 years 75k warranty and maintenance plan for $3000 more than the 2 year old used one with 35,000 on the ODO.

It’s a 2019 XLT supercrew 4x4:
3.5 ecoboost
3.55 locking rear end
FX4
Max Trailer
Navigation
Power package
Bed lighting
Trailer backup assist
Flow through console with shifter on the column, for storage

So now the build, I immediately sold the parts off the old truck I couldent reuse. I picked up a color matched Lariat Grille and a Raptor Replica Bumper with 6 led cubs, which should be better for approach. Color matched the door handles, step rails and tinted the windows. Got my 17 inch wheels out in with a set of 285-70-17 Cooper Discoverer ATPs. I have a Rough Country 2 inch level, but honestly not sure if I want to install it, leave it stock or coil overs. I have replacement blocks for the rear if needed. I’ve also installed a set of Timbren SES rear bump stops.

I need to get the bumper installed, spray in bed liner, take the toolbox off and put the softopper on, I know it’s not as nice as a fiberglass, which I have had, but I like it because it’s convenient, I like the looks and it doesn’t kill my payload. Now, on to the few pictures I have.C9601AD9-D743-4647-BBC4-46EBF046E199.jpegC3FEF576-A325-406B-8A17-AF9565928EF4.jpegB472698C-7B90-432A-95BB-6179A5E44648.jpegF7524313-5E43-4F6D-BAE3-613F5AE49E50.jpegAD1F851C-FC16-4DE8-971C-2703C2C9C5E4.jpeg

CountryboyNC

What kind of issues did you have with the 13 F150?
Honestly, nothing huge. Just mainly cosmetic stuff starting to break, front ends starting to wear out and the transfer case liked to stick in 4 low sometimes and was a royal pain to get out. I could have done some basic rebuilds but with pulling a camper with my wife and daughter when I’m not remote camping with my younger brother (jhberria in the Nissan forums) I just wanted a little lower mileage and the ecoboost to improve towing capabilities. If I didn’t have the camper, I’d still be driving the 13.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well, I finally started to have some issues with the 2013 f150. Have about 160k on the ticker and I wanted something with a little less mileage for pulling the travel trailer. It was a 5.0 with Bilstein 5100 at 2 inches with a roadmaster active suspension in the rear on 285/75/17 KO2s. When trading in I stripes the ditch lights, tuner, Softopper and VHF radio out.

Wife and I went to the dealership to look at a used truck, I ended up walking out with a 2019 leftover with 32 miles on it with a 6 years 75k warranty and maintenance plan for $3000 more than the 2 year old used one with 35,000 on the ODO.

It’s a 2019 XLT supercrew 4x4:
3.5 ecoboost
3.55 locking rear end
FX4
Max Trailer
Navigation
Power package
Bed lighting
Trailer backup assist
Flow through console with shifter on the column, for storage

So now the build, I immediately sold the parts off the old truck I couldent reuse. I picked up a color matched Lariat Grille and a Raptor Replica Bumper with 6 led cubs, which should be better for approach. Color matched the door handles, step rails and tinted the windows. Got my 17 inch wheels out in with a set of 285-70-17 Cooper Discoverer ATPs. I have a Rough Country 2 inch level, but honestly not sure if I want to install it, leave it stock or coil overs. I have replacement blocks for the rear if needed. I’ve also installed a set of Timbren SES rear bump stops.

I need to get the bumper installed, spray in bed liner, take the toolbox off and put the softopper on, I know it’s not as nice as a fiberglass, which I have had, but I like it because it’s convenient, I like the looks and it doesn’t kill my payload. Now, on to the few pictures I have.View attachment 583862View attachment 583863View attachment 583864View attachment 583865View attachment 583866
I'd wait to see how the bumper affects ride height and handling before tackling suspension.

CountryboyNC

I’m hoping to get it installed this weekend or next. Shouldn't effect it too much as it’s not that heavy, we shall see. I’m building this truck for practicality when it comes to trips, camping, hunting, fishing and work. Guided by necessity I guess I’d say.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Honestly, nothing huge. Just mainly cosmetic stuff starting to break, front ends starting to wear out and the transfer case liked to stick in 4 low sometimes and was a royal pain to get out. I could have done some basic rebuilds but with pulling a camper with my wife and daughter when I’m not remote camping with my younger brother (jhberria in the Nissan forums) I just wanted a little lower mileage and the ecoboost to improve towing capabilities. If I didn’t have the camper, I’d still be driving the 13.
What is the camper? Have you towed it with the ‘19 yet? I’m curious to hear your comparison on how the two tow. I have a ‘15 with the 5.0.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I just had a pleasant discovery my mid/late 19 Expedition has the Cast Aluminum oil pan instead of the plastic pan. Yeah first oil change yesterday I bought it in September drove it two weeks then a big Buck challenged me head on at full run so it was out getting a front clip for three months$15,450!! All soft stuff! Fenders were un touched. Then the SIP C-19 mess! So finally hit Oil change point yesterday. I was very happy and a bit surprised at the cast aluminum pan!

ITTOG

It looks 1,000 times better with that new grill. I can't wait to see it with the new bumper.

Do you have a resource on how to change the grill. I have the same one to replace my platinum grill.

CountryboyNC

It looks 1,000 times better with that new grill. I can't wait to see it with the new bumper.

Do you have a resource on how to change the grill. I have the same one to replace my platinum grill.

I found the video on YouTube, it was switching out the grille to a raptor grille. It’s pretty simple, take the plastic clips off the top of the radiator cover (16 of them I think) remove the top bumper cover by taking the two small bolts out of the inside fender and popping them off. Remove the bolts on top the the grille under the cover and under the headlights and remove. Seperate the grille shutters from the grille by removing bolts and clips, swap grille and put it all back together. There is a couple pieces where the bolts go into the shutters that fall out and can’t get back in, you don’t need them.

CountryboyNC

What is the camper? Have you towed it with the ‘19 yet? I’m curious to hear your comparison on how the two tow. I have a ‘15 with the 5.0.
I have a 2018 Cherokee Greywolf 26dbh. I haven’t pulled far, only about 10 miles to move it to the in-laws so I could get some concrete poured in the driveway without getting it all over the camper. It’s a much nicer ride with the higher torque at lower rpm and 10 speed transmission. I am very happy. Now, I did have the 6speed before and my tow rating was only 7700 lbs with a 1536 payload. Now I’m over 12,000 and 1850. I’ve attached a loaded scale picture with it hooked to my ‘13.

Attachments

• 73174354-D61D-494F-87BA-87181B666D6A.png
    73174354-D61D-494F-87BA-87181B666D6A.png
    945.9 KB · Views: 59

ITTOG

I found the video on YouTube, it was switching out the grille to a raptor grille. It’s pretty simple, take the plastic clips off the top of the radiator cover (16 of them I think) remove the top bumper cover by taking the two small bolts out of the inside fender and popping them off. Remove the bolts on top the the grille under the cover and under the headlights and remove. Seperate the grille shutters from the grille by removing bolts and clips, swap grille and put it all back together. There is a couple pieces where the bolts go into the shutters that fall out and can’t get back in, you don’t need them.
I search for 20 minutes a few weeks ago and could find anything. I never had raptor in my search. Today, with raptor grill swap it was my first hit. :)

Thanks so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94