Our OEV Summit at Glacier National Park, BC

Trail Talk

IMG_3148.JPG

It was a hard offer to resist. We've been volunteer hut custodians with the Alpine Club of Canada for decades and when the call went out recently for a crew to clean and inventory the historic A.O. Wheeler Alpine Hut at Glacier National Park near Rogers Pass in British Columbia, we found it irresistible. What attracted us was knowing that we would have the entire hut, and the adjoining Illecillewaet campground, to ourselves since the area was under a closure order due to tree-felling operations. So, armed with a special permit and the gate key, we drove up a steep service road and parked BLITZEN beside the hut to serve as our base camp.

IMG_3155.JPG

A couple of days of hard work went by quickly. Persistent rain kept us indoors regardless, so scraping up pine marten droppings and washing down everything with bleach solution was a good use of time. When the sun finally came out, we hurriedly considered which of several hikes to undertake. Our choice was made when we spotted a grizzly snuffling around the trailhead to the high alpine, so we took the low road and enjoyed a bit of archaeology by tracing the old railway line that ran past the ruins of Glacier House hotel and onwards to the Loop Brook railway trestle which formed a huge figure eight for the train to gradually gain elevation towards Kicking Horse Pass. The loop became unnecessary with the construction of the Connaught Tunnel and was abandoned in 1917, also dropping the line to Glacier House.

IMG_3149 copy.JPG

IMG_3164 copy.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

Opened as a luxury hotel by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1886, Glacier House was staffed by imported Swiss guides and soon became the centre of Canadian alpinism. Unfortunately the hotel struggled without its railway access. The doors finally closed in 1926 and it was torn down in 1929. In 1946 the Alpine Club of Canada opened a much smaller and less grand, but equally welcoming A.O. Wheeler Hut.

IMG_3171 copy.JPG

Soon enough our time at the Wheeler Hut was over and we heading back home with an overnight stop at Rocky Mountain House National Historic Site. Worth a visit, especially if you enjoy the history of the fur trade. This site beside the Brierly Rapids marked the upper reaches of the voyageur's canoe travel on the North Saskatchewan River. Here were built in 1799 competing trading posts for both the North West Company and Hudson's Bay Company. While not much of their presence remains, excepting two chimney's from the last Hudson's Bay fort abandoned in 1875, as a canoeist it was easy to imagine being on the river and rejoicing at the site of its wooden stockades.

IMG_3185 copy.JPG

IMG_3189 copy.JPG

IMG_3181 copy.JPG

IMG_3175 copy.JPG

billiebob

nice story. I maintain the wood stoves in Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks. I love working in the Parks.

my cap/crown/liner at the Illecilleweat shelter.

DSC_0017.jpeg

40 years ago we used to climb the corners of the trestles at Loop Brook.

Alloy

nice story. I maintain the wood stoves in Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks. I love working in the Parks.

my cap/crown/liner at the Illecilleweat shelter.

View attachment 666037

40 years ago we used to climb the corners of the trestles at Loop Brook.

Just about every home in Canada has a griddle on top of the chimney.

Trail Talk

i love glacier national park, it s about 4h from home and one of the most relaxing place! Illecillewaet Campground is my all time favorite in western canada.... just love it!

We were thankful the devil's club hadn't opened up yet, but ticks were still about o_O

Trail Talk

More archeology findings to report from this trip :giggle:. While hiking the old railway line from Glacier House to Loop Brook, we viewed traces of an old path across the valley. Its purpose was uncertain...

IMG_3171 copy.JPG

The answer was revealed in a book I pulled from the shelves after returning home; The Great Glacier and Its House by William Putnam. The author described a popular day hike from the hotel along a road on the shoulder of Cheops Mountain and up Cougar Valley which led to the Caves of Cheops. The caves were so popular from 1906 to 1925 that Parks build a rest house for use by visitors while an enterprising guide constructed a seasonal residence at the entrance.

Today we know it as the Nakimu Caves, with some four miles of passages mapped. Unfortunate for any speleologists reading, they have been closed till further notice to protect the resident bats from white-nose syndrome which has decimated other bat populations.

Nakimu Caves 1905 map.jpg

Other remnants of the past abound in the area, like these old rail ties slowing being absorbed into the ground...

IMG_3154 copy 2.JPG

and drainage structures still managing the flow of water from mountain tops but now only for the benefit of occasional pedestrians like us...

IMG_3159 copy.JPG

In the Alpine Hut, some enterprising tradesman from years past repurposed a piece of rail into this log stand. So appropriate!

IMG_3143 copy 2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94