Our Box Truck RV Conversion

java

Expedition Leader
Thank you! It seems to be, but I'm learning more about uhaul boxes every hour ;)
Big plans for this one.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE CUTTING. I don't intend to go into the ceiling, maxfan will be side mounted up high in a corner. But I do need to go into the floor (biggest hole being 3 in or so) and I need to go into the front underneath the attic for the gaping hole for my passthrough. Plywood/fiberglass and aluminum should both cut with a standard 12amp circular saw and a drill with a 3 in hole bit? Do I need more power than battery tools or can I get away with them? Do I just go in there measure and cut? I'm finding myself to be a perfect advertisement for why people would need a book called "uhaul camper conversions for dummies."

Thanks guys.

Lots of guys over on Pirate4x4 have done Uhauls, would be some good reading. Look through here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/860646-pbb-tow-rig-trailer-build-threads.html

You can cut aluminum and the ply/frp walls fine with a skill saw, you will go though blades. A 3" hole saw shouldn't be a problem for a battery drill, you would be better off with a corded one but it will work.

How is the box centered if one frame rail lines up with yours??

I used one of these for my pass through seal. http://uni-grip.com/?portfolio=accordion-seals

Wherever you cut the walls, seal the edge of the plywood with some thinned epoxy. This will keep it from getting water in and rotting.

I know you dont want to hear it, but please consider some stiffer tube for the rear end support.....

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Lots of info and pics on Sarconcepts site and thread here on expo.

https://bulletxv.wordpress.com/2009/...ing-the-donor/
If you'd like, you can PM me as I have pictures & CAD drawings that I drew of each of the parts in your box, I documented everything before I dismantled it, I even know all of the part's weights.
But one concern, your floorboards are 10" wide aluminum planks going across the width, they are not connected to each other (except for a few machine screws holding the tongues together, once you unbolt them from the frame rails, the only thing holding them together is the connection at the walls, this will not cantilever without additional support.
uhaul 052.jpg
You can see the floor boards cantilever beyond the 34" frame rails
uhaul 056.jpg
and see all the individual 10" planks stacked up

redman4556

Adventurer
Overhang is one thing. Unsupported overhang is another.

Anyone in the SoCal area able to lend me a hand with the supports for the overhang? I'm no handy Andy and there are parts of this project beyond my scope of abilities.

EDIT: SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED I'M NOT ASKING FOR FREE HELP. I'M PERFECTLY WILLING TO COMPENSATE FOR WORK DONE IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER.

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
I was going to offer assistance but when you married yourself to the shelving sub frame you lost me.

Certainly not married to it, in fact didn't even end up using it, it was just all I knew how to do. Don't have access/knowledge to welding equipment so I figured I'd bolt.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Certainly not married to it, in fact didn't even end up using it, it was just all I knew how to do. Don't have access/knowledge to welding equipment so I figured I'd bolt.

If that's the case then I am willing to help if I can; the problem now is my schedule. I'm buried for the next week to 2 weeks.

java

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I am sure you have looked thru Papawheely's build, If hes willing to help take him up on it.... He does GREAT well thought out work. (and has a Uhaul...)

redman4556

Adventurer
Thank you guys. Regardless of time frame, any and all help from those with your experience is worth it's weight in gold.
I'm kinda in the middle of some family issues so I've been struggling to find time as well. All these little projects add up FAST. I'm getting ready to start cutting some holes and painting the interior with my next free bout of time. Still have no idea what to do for overhang support and more proper mounting. My homemade ubolts idea did NOT pan out well :)

redman4556

Adventurer
I'm finding (obviously) that my lack of knowledge/experience/tools is surpassing my desire to get the project on the road. For example: I want to mount a maxxfan on the roof. My roof is all aluminum and definitely shifts and pops a bit in the sunlight when it accumulates heat. I'm scared to even try learning how to properly cut the space and mount the maxxfan myself as I'm worried that it will come undone or leak with me attempting it. I have no problem compensating for assistance, but I literally do not know anyone in this area that has any interest in helping, and places like camping world would charge me over $150 just for installation of something like this. Should I just break down, cry, and pay camping world exorbitant costs? I'm not confident at all in my own skills for some of the more involving parts of this project, but certainly don't want to have to stop half way through the project due to exceeding budget. Does anyone know of anyone in my area that does installations cheaper than camping world?

Motiracer38

Was that you on the side of the 210 yesterday? There was a white crew cab Chevy with a uhaul box ratchet strapped to it.

I have no idea on RV fixing places, I re-roofed my own camper after not finding someone cheap enough. There are a couple fab places near you that come to mind, SMP fabrication is in Sun Valley and has done enough movie cars on the side he could probably do something. TT Motorsports is in Simi and while this isn't his specialty I trust his work and takes odd jobs. Instagram would find them both. I also know of a mobile maintenance/welder/fabricator that built studio trailers for quite awhile that would bill hourly.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
There is so much information available on the internet these days...with the inclination and mind set, anyone can do anything. If the roof skin is too thin and moves in the heat, after you cut the hole, frame it out on the inside, glueing the frame to the roof with something like Sikaflex. When you install the fan, use sikaflex under the joint, and screw through the aluminium into your frame. You can extend the frame with batons transversely across the roof to reduce roof flex more. No need to screw, just sikaflex on with some props underneath while it goes off. If I were local...I'd come and help. As I'm not. I'll pitch in where I can remotely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles