Our Box Truck RV Conversion

redman4556

Adventurer

Thank you for the links!
Let's get this conceptual show on the road.
Looks like I got lucky with all aluminum (no wood) construction. AND within my budget ;)

I NEVER said this was going to be a beauty queen, but she sure is functional.
LOTS of work ahead.
All constructive advice WELCOME!!! (I like using caps)

IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG

EDIT: I swear this happens every time. They're correct side up on my computer but sideways when I upload them :(

redman4556

Adventurer
Good job. Are you going to make a 10 foot box?
Kevin

With how lazy I am? Hahahahaha.
In all seriousness its a distinct possibility when I get more annoyed of dragging a big butt around but until then, I've got far more work in other areas before considering doing any alterations more serious than a pass-through and vent/drain holes on the aluminium body. VERY good idea to keep in mind eventual shortening when planning what to put where though!

UHAULER

Explorer
That looks like a standard u-haul box. I believe the the sides are high quality 1/2" plywood with about 1/16" fiberglass laminated to each side of the plywood. It shouldn't be too hard to shorten it if you wanted.

redman4556

Adventurer
I know her butt looks big :) but she's a 12 thank goodness. 12 is crazy, 14 is just... Well let's say I wouldn't dare you to try.

It was difficult and obviously what I thought would take 2 hours of getting it up there took 6 hours. Well worth the effort. She drives like a dream with it on there so it's time to put in the final few ubolts and start cleaning her today.

I'm more excited than I care to admit :drool:

The Artisan

Adventurer
That's a huge cantilever for that truck. I would shorten it if you have the time.. Since you have grandmas attic, you could make the box shorter.
Kevin

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Is it a 14?
That does look like a 14' Uhaul box, the Bullet is a 14' box.
The way Uhaul labels them is the overall length to the grandma's attic, not the floor length.
I believe the floor length of a 14' box is about 11', is that what you've got?

p.s. How's the roof on that thing? they tend to have been banged up across the front & Uhaul does some cheap un-crinkling of the roof sheet. I say that because the upper corners appear to have been replaced at some point. not that this is a big thing, but you may want to pay it some attention.

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
That looks like a standard u-haul box. I believe the the sides are high quality 1/2" plywood with about 1/16" fiberglass laminated to each side of the plywood. It shouldn't be too hard to shorten it if you wanted.

See how much of a novice I am?
Yes, that seems to be the construction. Are my floor and ceiling at least metal??? :p

I do intend to shorten it guys, but right now I've got way too many other projects to start ripping it apart and starting a new one.
In the meantime I intend to reinforce the cantilevered 3.5 ft that hangs off my frame rail by bolting 2 more ft of tubing to the end of each frame rail, and tightening the box securely to the trucks frame with overkill ubolts. The perforated tubing was a life-saver as strangely enough after lining the box up and centering it, one frame rail lined up, the other was way off. I managed to mount one rail of the box to my frame and one rail to a (much more reinforced than previous pics) set of perforated tubing attached via tubing cross-members and bolts to my trucks frame rails.

The box measures 12 ft in length not including the 4x4 grandmas attic. If that's a 14' by uhauls standards, I had no idea. I love the grandmas attic though. So spacious.

The ceiling looks to be in good shape from what my novice eyes can see!

redman4556

Adventurer
Sweet, looks like it's in good shape too

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thank you! It seems to be, but I'm learning more about uhaul boxes every hour ;)
Big plans for this one.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE CUTTING. I don't intend to go into the ceiling, maxfan will be side mounted up high in a corner. But I do need to go into the floor (biggest hole being 3 in or so) and I need to go into the front underneath the attic for the gaping hole for my passthrough. Plywood/fiberglass and aluminum should both cut with a standard 12amp circular saw and a drill with a 3 in hole bit? Do I need more power than battery tools or can I get away with them? Do I just go in there measure and cut? I'm finding myself to be a perfect advertisement for why people would need a book called "uhaul camper conversions for dummies."

Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles