Our 8th Land Rover

James86004

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

After owning our 1968 Land Rover Dormobile for 17 years, it was time to pass it on to someone new. To replace it, we bought a 2023 Defender. What can I say, we wanted to try something different.

20220717_154603.jpg
We have had the new one for 6 months, taken it off the pavement a lot, and love it.

DSC02318.JPGimage001.jpg
20220701_090756.jpg

James86004

Expedition Leader
How’s it working out?
So far so good. We got the base model with the 4-cylinder engine so we could get the 18 inch wheels instead of the 19+ wheels on the 6 and V8. After driving the 95 horsepower Dormobile or even the 180 horsepower Range Rover, even the base Defender engine with a tad less than 300 horsepower is a rocket. The low end torque is good, although there is a little bit of turbo lag. We don't notice it off pavement at all, it is only when turning left in traffic and you want it to go now. Left-foot braking gets around this issue. We didn't get many options, but made sure we got the locking rear diff. That came with the upgraded "off-road" tires, which really aren't that great - we got a flat on our first off-pavement trip with only 350 miles on the odometer. The dealer said that was a record for them. We swapped them out for 5 BFG ATs and haven't had a problem since.

Since then, we have taken it on a number of trips and stock it performs in the dirt and rocks as well as our 1992 Range Rover does. The Range Rover is not stock - it has a 2 inch lift, 32 inch tires, and a Quaife torque-biasing diff in the rear axle and a Tru--Trac in the front. On the paved roads there is no comparison - the Defender is quieter, faster, goes around corners better, and gets 50% better fuel economy, which is 18-22 miles per US gallon vs 11-13. The ride is about the same - the RRC has RTE +2 springs and Koni Raid shocks which ride very well and laugh a the speed bumps in my neighborhood.

In the first 10,000 miles we have only had a software problem, which was fixed with an update. The engine auto-stop-start shuts the engine down at red lights. When the light turned green and I hit the gas, it would throw the gearbox into park. There is an auto-stop over ride button on the dash when got around this problem until the software update was performed. Now it is perfect.

Changes we have made so far: We added a Front Runner roof rack, a Maxtrax holder, a folding table to the rear door, a Comet
CA-2X4SR ham radio antenna, and are trying to figure out where to mount our Yaesu FTM-300DR radio. In the meantime, we run a handheld attached to that antenna.

Attachments

• 1674411702778.png
    1674411702778.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 12

JackW

Explorer
I really like the Tasman Blue on yours - and the 4 cylinder is the right choice.
There are four of us in our local club with new 110's - all of them white P300 4 cylinder trucks. The 4 cylinders have lower gearing in the differentials so they work really well off road - especially if you order it with all of the right options.
I'm really pleased with mine - and its Land Rover #20 for me. I replaced the original Goodyear Wrangler "off road" tires with BFG 265/70R18 KO2's - much better now.
I've added the Lucky8 sliders, PowerfulUK back up lights, and rear tow eyes - I have the winch kit but haven't installed it yet.

D110.jpg_X0I3899.jpg

Last edited:

Silmarillion

Observer
I really like the Tasman Blue on yours - and the 4 cylinder is the right choice.
There are four of us in our local club with new 110's - all of them white P300 4 cylinder trucks. The 4 cylinders have lower gearing in the differentials so they work really well off road - especially if you order it with all of the right options.
I'm really pleased with mine - and its Land Rover #20 for me. I replaced the original Goodyear Wrangler "off road" tires with BFG 265/70R18 KO2's - much better now.
I've added the Lucky8 sliders, PowerfulUK back up lights, and rear tow eyes - I have the winch kit but haven't installed it yet.

View attachment 762229View attachment 762230
GA plate - where is the local club? I'm up on Lookout Mtn! Great looking Defender.

Silmarillion

Observer
How cool! Please do. I tried to go in Dec and of course I drive out there, all excited to hit some gravel for the first time in my new '18 Disco 5, and of course it's closed for a deer hunt ?

Snooper's Rock is a beautiful view!

Attachments

• PXL_20210802_200058379.jpg
    PXL_20210802_200058379.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

JackW

Explorer
How cool! Please do. I tried to go in Dec and of course I drive out there, all excited to hit some gravel for the first time in my new '18 Disco 5, and of course it's closed for a deer hunt ?

Snooper's Rock is a beautiful view!

That's the problem - sometimes they have it closed for Turkey nesting, deer hunts or other reasons and its hard to know whats open when you are 100 miles away. A little local knowledge would be appreciated.

Here's a shot from our ride back in 2010

overlook.jpg

pano1.jpg

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
Nice!

We now have 4 or 5 new Defenders in our club, the Arizona Land Rover Owners, and they all get used.

Silmarillion

Observer
I didn't bother looking it up because we were only 20min away when I decided to go with the family. The website below was accurate on the hunting dates. May be worth a call to TWRA or Brian when planning the next trip.

For State Forest Information
Brian Haddock
PO Box 160
Hixson, TN 37343
(423) 658-5551

For Hunting, Fishing and Shooting Range Information
Marty Griffith, TWRA Manager
(423) 658-0298

James86004

Expedition Leader
Hi Dirk. We are doing El Camino del Diablo soon. Or we'll see you at the AZLRO campout in March.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Reactions: DVD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles