Our 2015 Tundra!!

pacer

Observer
If your parking lights are on, do you have to go into the system to make sure that you use the LED as DRLs? I've seen new Tundras with those ugly amber lights on as daytime driving lights when they have LEDs at their disposal. I'm wondering if it's just user unfamiliarity that they're choosing ugly incandescent lights. Thanks.

And I much prefer the incandescent... To each their own.

I also say ditch the chrome, but not in favor of murdered out black.
Maybe the charcoal color Toyota uses on the sport trim package...

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Great truck! Sounds like u already have a good plan with the mods u listed. I'd say suspension and tires/ wheels first since their the base for everything else.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
If your parking lights are on, do you have to go into the system to make sure that you use the LED as DRLs? I've seen new Tundras with those ugly amber lights on as daytime driving lights when they have LEDs at their disposal. I'm wondering if it's just user unfamiliarity that they're choosing ugly incandescent lights. Thanks.

LED DRL's come on the platinum & 1794, ours is a limited. We'll likely replace the headlights at some point...not sure with what though.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Enough about the chrome already. But I will say that...

Just do a black vinyl wrap on that GIANT chrome surround and leave the grille center. There's enough combined black/chrome accents between the bumpers and the mirrors that it will blend. You're probably going to replace the bumpers with something painted entirely black from the aftermarket anyway, right? Wondering if bumpers will be one-offs, or ones that are already available? Hopefully that will involve a swing-out to get the spare out from underneath.

Once you mentioned SEMA I got worried about how extreme you guys intend to go with it. Hopefully you'll keep this relatively simple, rugged and capable. Full-size (in my mind at least) is for hauling people and stuff, not for cutting the bed for a high-clearance bumper.

One other thing. PLEASE be brave and don't put black wheels on this truck. Get some 18" TRD Rock Warrior rims made into beadlocks by the guys at OMF or something dark grey/silver/bronze from SCS, but not black.

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
Nice truck I just purchased a 2015 sr5 TRD off-road. I look forward to seeing your progress through the duration of your build.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Just do a black vinyl wrap on that GIANT chrome surround and leave the grille center. There's enough combined black/chrome accents between the bumpers and the mirrors that it will blend. You're probably going to replace the bumpers with something painted entirely black from the aftermarket anyway, right? Wondering if bumpers will be one-offs, or ones that are already available? Hopefully that will involve a swing-out to get the spare out from underneath.

Once you mentioned SEMA I got worried about how extreme you guys intend to go with it. Hopefully you'll keep this relatively simple, rugged and capable. Full-size (in my mind at least) is for hauling people and stuff, not for cutting the bed for a high-clearance bumper.

One other thing. PLEASE be brave and don't put black wheels on this truck. Get some 18" TRD Rock Warrior rims made into beadlocks by the guys at OMF or something dark grey/silver/bronze from SCS, but not black.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

As it turns out, we really like the look of the TRD Pro (black bits including grille & wheels), so that'll be how this truck looks when we're done. Just confirmed with Discount Tire that we'll be running 295/70R18's on black TRD Pro wheels, but we won't be doing beadlocks.

For the SEMA portion, the build will be....elegant? Definitely not over the top, not a rock crawler, not a grocery getter...this will be a real truck that's used every day to haul kids, dogs, lumber, and for weekend exploring the glorious mountains of Colorado.

It's going to be good =)

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
...Definitely not over the top, not a rock crawler, not a grocery getter...this will be a real truck that's used every day to haul kids, dogs, lumber, and for weekend exploring the glorious mountains of Colorado.

It's going to be good =)

Looking forward to it, Shane! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles