Our '05 LJ Rubicon

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've finally got our LJ Rubicon (auto trans) where I wanted it to be 6 years ago when we bought it. It's served a multi purpose role quite well. It's been a daily driver, medium duty rock crawler and an expedition rig. I've been prepping it for a 4 day Death Valley trip later this month.

Here's a couple of shots from last weekend at the Slab City Talent Show.
slabcity001.jpg

Not a very good shot of the truck/Jeep combination, but you get the idea.

slabcity005.jpg
One of the "Tanks" at Slab City. The other Tank is more artistic, but the content is not family friendly.

The modification list is extensive.

Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit
Bilstein 7100 Series Shocks (remote reservoirs)
Light Racing 1.5" air bump stops
BFG AT's 315/75/16
Motive Gear 5.13's
Factory Ten Cr-Mo axle shafts (760x full circle u-joints)
Warn 9.5Ti winch
Kilby York engine driven on board air system w/2.5 gallon tank
Kilby front bumper/steering box and gas tanks skids
Steve McKay custom weld in roll cage
Steve McKay custom rear bumper/tire carrier
4" Kragen HID lights replace factory fog lights
Warrior high clearance rear hitch rack
Blue Torch fab diff covers
Currie steering

We don't get to use it for expeditions with just the Jeep very often, looking forward to our upcoming Death Valley trip. We'll have four days supply of camping gear, 5 gallons of fuel, two adults and two Boxer dogs crammed in there or on the Warrior Products rack. (Not a huge fan of the rack, but it meets my needs). We've made similar trips in the past, lived in relative comfort in some crappy conditions.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader

slabcity005.jpg
One of the "Tanks" at Slab City. The other Tank is more artistic, but the content is not family friendly.

Man, ANOTHER great looking LJ... That's a sweet rig, glad you've gotten her to where you've wanted her to be. That's a great looking truck you'v got there. I'm a HUGE fan of LJ's.

Cheers

Dave

bob91yj

Resident **************
Found a picture I was looking for from our last DV trip. It was on 305's rather than 315's back then. I went to the 315's so that the Jeep and my truck both run the exact same tire.
deathvalley0207171-1.jpg

JPK

Explorer
Very nice! Love the last shot.

Not to highjack, but what don't you like about the Warrior rack? I was thinking of ordering one to use it like you are, or maybe in the front receiver and love the 8" lift feature for not loosing approach or departure angles?

JPK

86cj

Explorer
Found a picture I was looking for from our last DV trip. It was on 305's rather than 315's back then. I went to the 315's so that the Jeep and my truck both run the exact same tire.
deathvalley0207171-1.jpg

A very Well Developed LJ in it's Native environment..:sombrero:.....Nice Rig.......

How do the Airbumps perform and did you install them?

Did you run the 5:13's with both 33" and 35" tires? I wondered if the O/D stays engaged (auto) on the highway at around 65MPH or does it spend alot of time in 3rd when loaded. I am installing 5:13 gears in my LJ and plan on running the current 33's then 35's ...

Did I mention I like that pic..:Wow1:

Nikson

Explorer
A very Well Developed LJ in it's Native environment..:sombrero:.....Nice Rig.......

How do the Airbumps perform and did you install them?

Did you run the 5:13's with both 33" and 35" tires? I wondered if the O/D stays engaged (auto) on the highway at around 65MPH or does it spend alot of time in 3rd when loaded. I am installing 5:13 gears in my LJ and plan on running the current 33's then 35's ...

Did I mention I like that pic..:Wow1:

Any specific reason why you would go to such a low gear as 5.13 to only run 33/35 inch tire?

Chadman

Man that's a perfect LJ! I had an 05' TJ Rubicon with the same color combo, but manual. If it had been an auto and an LJ like yours I would still have it!

Attachments

• Rubicon52308001-1.jpg
    Rubicon52308001-1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5

maximumrob

Adventurer
Man that's a perfect LJ! I had an 05' TJ Rubicon with the same color combo, but manual. If it had been an auto and an LJ like yours I would still have it!

Agreed. The only mistake I made with my '05 Rubicon LJ was getting the 6-spd manual. It's easily the least-fun manual trans I've ever driven and ranks right up there with a 30-yr old heavy duty pickup. No fun, notchy, slow-shifting, and noisy.

Shoulda bought the auto. Have occasionally wished for a hard top in the hot summers, too.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Agreed. The only mistake I made with my '05 Rubicon LJ was getting the 6-spd manual. It's easily the least-fun manual trans I've ever driven and ranks right up there with a 30-yr old heavy duty pickup. No fun, notchy, slow-shifting, and noisy.

Shoulda bought the auto. Have occasionally wished for a hard top in the hot summers, too.

That's funny, I'm completely at the other end of the spectrum. To me driving an auto TJ/LJ is like driving a car (boooooring) Jeeps should be utilitarian, not comfy. I don't expect sports car performance out of it. I love my 6speed and wouldn't trade it for anything. I know many don't agree with me and that's cool too! glad they made both so we can all be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles