OUCH! I'M HOOKED!

XJBANKER

Explorer
My memories of fishing growing up with my Dad were catching Rainbow Trout up at our cabin. I remember it was slow, boring and I liked to run around playing in the trees until he said he caught one and would come to help pull it in or whack it on a rock to welcome it to being ready to become dinner. Overall I never had an interest in fishing and a few months before I met my wife, I Bought a fly rod, reel and a pack of flies and some rubber boots. I went out once with a friend and did not have a clue how to even cast or what the concept was. I did have fun though. Then I met my wife, got married, built my jeep, home remodel projects, two kids, got a Counqueror Trailer and started camping a lot. Still fishing did not come into mind until a trip that I just took with my dad.

I live in Utah and went to Prince of Whales, Alaska. www.boardwalklodge.com
My dad's nephew owns the lodge and invited us up there to fish for a week. We caught Halibut, Yellow Eye, King, Silver and Pink Salmon, Lincods, and some rock fish. Overall it was AWESOME! I really liked the salmon fishing the best, but all of it was off the boat, trolling or mooching. They are Orvis Endorced and could have gone Fly fishing out on the river and had some good lessons, but my dad has some major foot problems that he actually had surgery to correct a few days ago, so we stuck to spending the week on the boat.

Now that I am home the need to go fishng it pulling at me all the time. I don't have a boat and I like the idea of learning to fish a pond stocked with trout, bass and carp close to my house with the fly rod I already have or the Weber river.I have watched a few video's on how to cast and have been practicing in my yard, but I have no idea where to start with fly selection, how to find good spots to fish and so on. I know it will be slower than the double didget fish I pulled in everyday in Alaska and the fish I will be catching here will look more like bait compared to the monsters to me that I caught there, but I would be happy to actually catch 1 fish on the fly rod to know I am doing something right.

So what advice can I get to start? Any basics that I need to know or should start with that is not too complicated for a beginner? Things like how long should my tippet be or size or types or sizes of flies to start with? It will be a slow learning process, but the idea of landing a fish again gets my blood pumping. I even enjoyed catching fish a little bigger than my bait so Im looking for for the fun of landing a fish for now and hopefully by the time my fish in my freezer runs low I will be able to catch something for dinner every once in a while. Any help would be great, again I think I am HOOKED!

IMAG1160.jpg
IMAG1220.jpg

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Nice...
I was up in AK a couple years back with my Dad...nothing better than fishing with your pops

My advice would be to not get too hooked on gear...simple 5wt fly rod can get you many fish and many places...while trout can be a bit finicky you can catch bass on any fly
I grew up on the Little Salmon river in NY and when the smallmouth would move out of Lake Ontario into the river during summer to spawn, my best friend and I would wade that stream all day long taking fat smallies on anything from hoppers to muddler minnows to an unwraveling wooly bugger I tied myself with my dads vise.

I also wouldn't worry too much about technique...just go fish...there are some good books but I taught myself when I was about 5 and my technique is not perfect but works for me...

Have fun and post pics of all the fish you catch!

Matt

XJBANKER

Explorer
So with pond fishing for bass or carp when you throw the fly out, do you want it to just it on the water for the moment? Do you want to make it dance around? I would think something close to weeds or shore if I used something like a mouse or hopper I would want to make it move in the water or am I wantng the landing of my cast to be the only movement and to let it just sit on the water for a moment before sending it in again?

Moving water I think I get the idea of moving the line so the fly moves on the water without drag, but not sure on the pond type of water where the bass are. I think I will start there. I would think I need to be close to rocks, logs, weeds or something the fish would hide behind. Is it better to start with a Dry or Wet fly? I think I have dry fllies now. If I do wet do I let them sink in still water than slowly pull them back a few feet or let them sink then pull it out and send it in again to create a mooching effect instead? Thanks again for the help.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My experience with bass is they hit a fly out of instinct/aggressive behavior...doesn't matter if topwater or wet...just make motion with the fly and the bass will hit...they eat everything but I have lots of luck with big hoppers...big mice and crawfish simulators...

XJBANKER

Explorer
I went to a small river in the Uintas with the intention of getting out in be middle and practice casting. I have not used my boots for 10 years so I got out to about the middle of the stream and the water started pouring in. It was way to cold to be in the water so I had to try and fish from the bank and with my skill level and bushes it did not go well at all and I donated a lot of flies to the trees. I have been going to a small pond by my house with my daughter (5) and all she wants for Christmas now is a small pole. Santa got her a little ice fishing pole. I would like to go back out but need to get some new gear or wait until the water is warmer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, well don't get discouraged. So here's the long story:

My first bit of advice, get some waders. Boots don't cut it. Eventually you'll have to go all in and that's probably the first step. You already have the rod (although there's more to come... ;) )

Second, find a TU chapter or a Flyfishing federation chapter. Our sport is small in comparison to other fishing methods (I was told that the powerbait brand is worth more than all of the fly fishing products sold), and we need to keep the tradition alive. Go to one of the meetings and find an old timer. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, struggling with some self taught skills. Just walk in and say "I know nothing" and someone will be glad to help you.

Casting practice will definitely help. Put a small yarn indicator with a correctly sized leader and tippet on and keep at it. Casting in a pond will help, as the water will load the rod properly. If you hear a whip crack, you're not waiting for the loop to play out enough. Check your local fly shops for clinics. I went to an Orvis sponsored clinic here in NJ. Even though I am a good caster, the Orvis guy helped me clean up some minor things. Just search the web and you'll find plenty of opportunities for community support and advice.

If your fishing still water, its the same as fishing with a regular rod and reel. "Streamers" are the equivalent of a rapala or such and are fished accordingly, poppers are the same. Nymphs can be fished like bait under an indicator, or jigged. For my money on still water its either poppers or streamers. I mean if I wanted to dunk worms I'd get a cane poll and a cooler, you know? Bass are a hoot on a streamer or popper. Carp are a whole different story. I think people are more dedicated to carp fishing than trout fishing, and its probably harder.

Moving water is truly where I think the beauty of fly fishing comes in. For simplicity sake there are two basic methods, Dead drift and the swing. From there you can do a whole range of things, tight line, indicator, streamer, wet-fly etc. For right now I'd recommend as a beginner start with Indicator nymphing, or dry-dropper.

Here's the secret to stream fishing: PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING. these guys that fish ultra realistic flys don't want to admit it but its true. Most flys are for fisherman. By far my two favorite flys of all time are a polish woven nymph, and a frencie style pheasant tail. They look like nothing, but put them in front of a fish the right way, and he'll eat it. If you learn to manage your drift, nice and drag free your 75% there.

You will tangle and foul.
You will loose flies
You will fall in
You will get skunked

I started tying my own flies also. I never leave a fly in a tree, other than having to climb for it. I never leave a fly snagged on the bottom. Funny thing is, once you start going after flys, you start loosing them less. On a river, the key to not fouling trees, is take a breath. Look around, think about where you want to cast. I still foul my line, not nearly as much as I use to, but mainly because I take time to go thru the motions. Let the line play out behind me, watch for trees, load the rod correctly, etc. Eventually you'll start to put your flies in places where you know it will probably get fouled, but the lure of that lunker big brown hiding under a root clump will be unbearable. I rarely run out of flys now. Mostly they get retired because the trout chew them up.

Carry lots of tippet. If I can't get untangled in less than a minute, I cut and re-tie. My stream time is valuable. I can re-rig in under three minutes, which is way faster than untangling a birds nest. I just throw it in my wader bib and move on.

Eventually you should take a guided trip, but take one with someone who is willing to teach. Some guides just want to get you on fish, and you'll miss out on the learning experience. I hired a guide who's a guru in his field. In 4 hours he taught me more than I learned in a year by myself.

If you have technical specifics, PM me, I'll send you a link to a website with a bunch of guys who can answer any question, no matter how newb.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I got my kids some ice fishing poles for Christmas that are just their size to use around the edge of the pond. More to keep them busy I think than to catch anything with. For the fly fishing I have been looking for some wadders and boots and am thinking of taking a trip to Alaska again with my wife. If we go this time we will do a day on the river with an Orvis guide. I think that would help me a ton. That will not be until Aug so I have a lot of time to think, read and practice until then. How far should I be able to cast? Sometimes I feel I am trying to go to far vs just being closer and accurate.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It's not fishing in Alaska it's catching. Are you going to wade or walk? I've done both in Alaska and when you go its egg patterns on an indi rig. You will forever be spoiled by it and will never find fishing like that in the lower 48.

If your drifting, you need to be able to cast a big indi rig with weight using a 7 weight. Its not about distance, its more about being able to clear your oarsmen. If your wading you need to be able to cast a medium distance, but more importantly manage a drift drag free drift. Once again it's presentation.

All new fly fisherman want to work on casting distance, but the reality is you rarely fish more than 30ft out unless your swinging a Spey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior