Other fast deploy ground tents besides Oztent and Gazelle?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Can't tell if you're being ironic or not, but yeah, it's expensive. Like Oztent expensive. On the other hand I'll be able to give my kids my OzTent in 20 years so...

Like I mentioned in the beginning of the thread. One can buy a lifetime of Colemans tents for that cost and not even use that many.

DaveM

Explorer
Like I mentioned in the beginning of the thread. One can buy a lifetime of Colemans tents for that cost and not even use that many.

Yeah of course they can, and that's a reasonable approach. I do that with a lot of my gear and clothing, pick the cheaper option and expect to replace often.

But for some gear the experience in use matters a lot more, and tents are one of those items for me. I have the Coleman instant tent and an OZ Tent RV3. I hate using the Coleman. Its fussy even for an 'instant' tent and the floor material is plain old tarp, it makes a racket and wears out quickly. It feels claustrophobic inside even for a larger tent and collapses easily in the wind. But the OZ Tent is a pleasure to set up and live in. It's only flaw for us is the size for our family, but I'll never get rid of it, eventually it will just be me and my wife camping again and we'll be happy in the RV3. That said prices on some these tents are silly, especially when they get to the US. Fortunately I bought our RV3 years ago on sale and got it for not much more than the Gazelle.

DaveM

Explorer
Another one, Explore Planet Earth's Speedy Earth 4. Similar design to an OZ Tent. Looks a little deeper overall.

speedy-earthtent-epe-05-web-wfmigxnlbdcp.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Should have mentioned, I have the Coleman instant tent. Got it for the kids a while ago, its ok, I can't stand the floor material though.

Mine is about 10 years old and perfect for spare sleeping arrangements or buggy/wet situations. The floor is a heavy tarp material. Is yours different? What's not to like?

DaveM

Explorer
Mine is about 10 years old and perfect for spare sleeping arrangements or buggy/wet situations. The floor is a heavy tarp material. Is yours different? What's not to like?

We use ours as a kids spare tent or to loan out to friends - so nobody gets my OZ Tent :p It's fine for a cheap instant tent. But it has that crinkly woven tarp material as it's base, and maybe it's just me but I hate that stuff in tents. It makes so much noise when you're in the tent moving around (remember 2 kids in there with us). It's not very easy to repair when it gets a hole. And in my experience with the same material for tarps, it wears out a lot faster in use than typical tent fabric, despite being thicker. It's mostly about enjoyment in use, and I don't enjoy that tent.

I should mention though, I just discovered that Coleman makes other instant tents with the same heavy duty soft PVC floor material OZ Tent and others use, but only overseas apparently. I would consider these tents if available here:

BlakeA

I bought an Oztent Oxley Lite 5 tent earlier this year. Will be using it for this first time next week and will report back the results. I have set it up in the backyard and it goes up quickly.

Is there anything out there like the Gazelle T4 with the built-in screen room? The short ask is, is there a cheaper alternative with a screen room?

My reason for asking is I'm trying to find something that will appeal to my wife which is apprehensive for camping. The simplicity with an annexed area for quick escape from bugs and rain, but still being outside, will be a sure winner. I'd jump right into it, but I've got to find something that's a bit more "intro" so as to not go all-in with a $500 tent when there are $120 Colemans out there.

I've seen the Coleman Elite Weathermaster 6P, but I've got to sell it to her that camping is fun. Setting up a tent for 20 minutes is not fun. I need a good trial tent. Are we just better suited to get a simpler quick setup tent without a "porch?" Was considering a quick setup 10 or 12 person that we can put a divider in for a similar "screened porch" effect, but those put us in a price point that we should just go ahead and get the Gazelle linked above. I don't want to be too invested, because if we find that it's just not something she (and our newborn) are going to be interested in doing, then I'm aiming for something more dedicated to me and the pup like a GFC on top of the 80 Series.

An additional note that has me looking for an alternative quick setup tent is that collapsed, the Gazelle is over 5 ft long. This forces me to fold down half the rear seats. Not the biggest issue in the world, but I'd rather not. Anything that would be closer to 4 feet?

Thoughts?

Titan_Bow

It sucks that the Black Pine Turbo Tents are no longer available. I picked up a 10 man version of that tent about 4 or 5 years ago, and we love it. Granted, its HUGE, and heavy to haul around, but its probably easier to put up by myself than my 6 person REI Base Camp. The Turbo Tents are really well made, with big heavy duty zippers, looks like everything is double and/or triple stitched, the fabric is really heavy duty ripstop. I like how the inside has a silver heat reflective layer, for winter camping, its great, and it also seems to keep things cooler in the summer.

al_burpe

Observer
I recently came across this tent which the review said was a higher quality alternative to the Colman Instant Cabin.

I don't know if anyone but REI carries it.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Seeing as you like your Oztent, why not just pick up one of their add on tents for the boys. They'll "sort of" have their own space, so it could be good training for them, yet they'll be only a few feet away, so they should feel safe, and you could respond quickly to any needs that pop up.

Smileyshaun

Observer
That’s strange I’ve had great luck with my Colman insta cabin , wonderfully tall , sleeps 5 with tons of room to spare but the rain fly does suck a bit .

Why not just get the biggest Oz Tent RV and call it a day. You already know the quality and the particulars of set up and take down. resale is great and i'm sure you can find one on here if you posted in the sale section. I took my RV 4 to Colo. two other guys had Gazelle tents Oz was up and down faster and when it rained we were under my canopy hooked to 4runner to cook. Just my humble opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles