Other fast deploy ground tents besides Oztent and Gazelle?

DaveM

Explorer
Looking for some new ideas around fast setup ground tents. We are a family of 4 (two boys, 7 and 11). We currently have the Oztent RV3, which I love, but is too small for all four of us (my boys are pretty codependent, not quite ready to set up their own space). I've been looking at both the Gazelle T4 and the 8x8 Kodiak tents. Neither is super exciting, but I'm leaning towards the Gazelle. Looking for options I may not have considered. Here's the list of what I know about so far and what I think about them:

Oztent RV 3: current tent, love it, will never get rid of it, but too small when we all go camping together.
Oztent Jet/Oxley 5: looks fiddly to set up, I want RV32 ease of set up or better.
Kodiak/Springbar: Nice tents, but very heavy, and too much work to set up and take down.
Gazelle T4: Quick set up like the Oztent, but looks very lightweight, don't like the small doors, thin floor, or the lack of an attached awning.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Coleman makes a great instant tent. You could buy a lifetime supply of the Coleman tents for the price of an OZ tent. The only down side is the "rainfly" does not do a very good job of keeping the rain out. It is too short and ends right at the window opening.

When I had one, in the rain, I threw a tarp over the tent and that worked great as well as kept in the warmth.

reaper229

A tipi or pyramid shelter like seekoutside or kifaru are quick and easy to set-up

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

WOODY2

Adventurer
Another prop for Coleman Insta Tent even with the rainfly shortcoming. 10x10 footprint with a great interior height, fast up and down also.

emulous74

Decathlon Sports has upgraded their 2 second tent. I recently used it on a camping trip in the New Mexico mountains and I also own a gazelle to compare it to. First off, it's only a two-person tent, but because of that, it has a much smaller footprint and an even smaller packed up and carry format. So unlike a Gazelle, this tent can easily be thrown in the trunk or even on the backseat. With this tent, you lay out your ground cover, unfold the tent, peg it down in each corner and then pull a strap on two sides and then tent is fully up and operational. To fold down and pack up the tent there are release buttons where the straps come out of the tent and you press those and the tent automatically folds down and you roll it up and you're done.

It truly is completely black on the inside, unlike the Gazelle, so it's very easy to sleep in without the morning light waking you up. It is only a three season tent, as the built in rain fly is the waterproofing element, as the doors are only mesh. There is good air-flow with the rain fly fully staked out and it was warm enough during the night is low 40's weather using only a sleeping bag. With the fully blacked out interior you will need a lamp or flashlight even during the day to see anything.

At $199.00 it is a great alternative to a Gazelle, if you don't need the space or the height that the Gazelle offers. It's better made than the price suggests and while I wouldn't call it light, it's small form factor when packed up, means you can easily take it with you when car camping. I wouldn't recommend it as a backpacking tent.

QUECHUA2SECONDSEASYFRESHBLACK2PPE20_PSHOT_812x.progressive.png.jpg

QUECHUA2SECONDSEASYFRESHBLACK2PPE20_PSHOT_3_812x.progressive.png.jpg

QUECHUA2SECONDSEASYFRESHBLACK2PPE20_PSHOT_9_812x.progressive.png.jpg

QUECHUA2SECONDSEASYFRESHBLACK2PPE20_PSHOT_7_812x.progressive.jpg

DaveM

Explorer
Should have mentioned, I have the Coleman instant tent. Got it for the kids a while ago, its ok, I can't stand the floor material though.

DaveM

Explorer
Black Pine turbo tent. Similar to the Coleman, but with more features and better quality.

This looks really interesting. They seem to be closed now, but I am still seeing tents for sale online.

edited to add: scratch that, looks like there are tents for sale, but all out of stock once you click on the links. Too bad, nice version of the Coleman style tent but with better materials.

Last edited:

motorcycle matt

This looks really interesting. They seem to be closed now, but I am still seeing tents for sale online.

edited to add: scratch that, looks like there are tents for sale, but all out of stock once you click on the links. Too bad, nice version of the Coleman style tent but with better materials.
That is disappointing, it was going to be my next tent.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie

hg1027

Prime day deal, we're buying to replace a moldy old cheap canvas tent. Marmot Limestone 6 person. Seems to have decent reviews.

I'm hoping it's better quality than the coleman, at about double the price. Mostly looking for zippers and seams and fly effectiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz