OT: Who is building their rig in case of a Doomsday scenario?

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
That's ok, the zombies won't care about typos and spelling rules :), the only rule that will affect them is rule 308 (or rule 303 as we say here in Oz).

2P'sinapatrol

You know this whole "prepper" thing is not even on the radar in Oz, at least AFAIK. I've never seen anything about people preparing for anything over here, except bushfires of course but that does make sense.

Maybe it's because in general we have a more equitable system that we feel more comfortable with, or (more likely) we just have the "she'll be right mate" attitude and are too lazy to do anything. Let's hope "she" will be right :)

I just finished reading this thread and was thinking the same thing.
In fact the only reason I read it was to try and understand the bugging out thing. In Australia it just not a thing that crosses anyone's mind. And we do have our share of reasons to bug out. Mostly natural disasters.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You know this whole "prepper" thing is not even on the radar in Oz, at least AFAIK. I've never seen anything about people preparing for anything over here, except bushfires of course but that does make sense.

Maybe it's because in general we have a more equitable system that we feel more comfortable with, or (more likely) we just have the "she'll be right mate" attitude and are too lazy to do anything. Let's hope "she" will be right :)

Maybe it's that down in Oz you just figure that when the world ends you'll shave your head into a mohawk, jump onto your souped up Kawasaki and roam the wastelands looking for fuel - no "prepping" required! :p

WezFaceoff.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
So do you service Artesian springs, thermal springs, tubular springs, seepage springs, gravity springs or...? Everybody needs water when the SHTF.

Oh wait....

You probably handle leaf and coil springs.... LOL :elkgrin:

So on your camper do you have any worry about a big branch taking out that beautifully big window? Plexiglass?

So far no damage to the plexiglas dispite numerous hits with trees. The side of the camper has some strong aluminum angle channel that seems to take the bulk of the abrasion. I usually have lots of water onboard. Also I have lots of bear spray for close encounters.... Could probably use a 50 caliber on top for those big zombie encounters....:ylsmoke:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I love the quote about the 64 old fat guys in BDU's with a Rambo complex, laying claim to a piece of land. I think thats the reality of the "prepper" dream!

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Once upon a time I posted about or related to this or that threat categorically to this topic and others related. These days, as I grow older and my bones and my nerves become irksome, to burdensome, I choose to focus on the good if I can. Over the span of my career I lived in a world of condition yellow to red until my house and my soul begin to tarnish and my faculties began to wane. Injuries, both minor and serious to including to damned many concussions soon diminish quality of life in the growing older bite.

I have two neighbors who have built themselves bug-out rigs, one an F450, another F550. Spent themselves lots of monies and labor on each. I mentioned hardening em up a bit as shots fired into both sheet medal and glass won't do much for driver passenger survival. But no action was taken on that end...

Meanwhile, rest assured if something pops-up in our whacky larger cities, those of us stuck in em better get used to the idea beating feet to rush out will not be forthcoming. Why? Because of the laws of unintended consequences thats why. Prep-per's gotta work, their better half's usually at work, the kid's? Their at school or friend's house, and forget about Cell phones. If something big and I mean really big goes down, cell towers can be shut-down pronto, leaving bandwidth open for certain phones. (read Emergency Personnel only) Back during the San Jose earthquake four day conference I attended, I came home only to make a whole new emergency car trunk bag for my school teacher wife. Our both being hams, it included a 2mm walkie talkie channel one being a local city repeater, channel two yet another located elsewhere, but close. Channel three simplex, meaning no repeater, but out of normal simplex frequency range. Huum... Gotta tell y-all this only lasted about a month or so before the com thang fell on its azz. The heat within the trunk made radio batteries not able to keep a charge for very long, and I could not persuade keeping her H.T. in her classroom on a charger. Theft reasons mainly.

All new laws over gun free zones and schools, as part of her zombie inventory included a high capacity multiple magazine handgun. So, that became an issue leading to dismantlement.

While I know I could stand going to jail just fine, I didn't push her any longer about any of this, now it is what it is. Since that time California has passed all sorts of laws mostly aimed at regular folk whom fear the law and generally not break it. All the while, those that roam in large numbers LIKE ZOMBIES I believe go about doing as they wish. But, for me and mine, getting older, physically and mentally weaker has so many drawbacks to ever being able to effectively control roving mobs of hooligans-I'm going to take my chances and go on living my life and KEEP-ON wearing my (See NO ZOMBIE) glasses I have grown rather fond of over the years. As I've become to learn over time, I cannot save this world I find myself in, nor, can I always be expected to survive in this world if and when it comes my time.

But I have, and will do my best with what I have, and what my experience/s and past training has shown me. Other than that, I am geared to stay in my home in time of crises.

<<^8^>>

pnichols

I might be enlightening if some of you would watch/rewatch Kevin Costner in the "The Postman". That movie depicts what most likely would be the scenario U.S.A. folks would be facing after a end-of-life-as-we-know-it event that affected us in the good old U.S. of A.

In that movie no acreages/remote canyons/secret-spots merely with such things as vegetable gardens, fresh water springs, firewood, and ancient survival skills helped the folks survive who where surviving. How the lucky ones were surviving was banding together in fortified strongholds to support each other and protect each other from the rest of the perverts roaming around outside the strongholds.

Individual families did not survive ... teams of individuals and their families banding together for food/shelter/security was the the key. Reminds me of what mankind has had to ultimately do to survive for millenniums.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah, not sure I've seen the movie but it's a good book. Also the movie "The Book of Eli", a similar yarn.

That filter looks like a good gadget, if I walked in places where water was more reliable I'd be tempted to get one.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I might be enlightening if some of you would watch/rewatch Kevin Costner in the "The Postman". That movie depicts what most likely would be the scenario U.S.A. folks would be facing after a end-of-life-as-we-know-it event that affected us in the good old U.S. of A.

In that movie no acreages/remote canyons/secret-spots merely with such things as vegetable gardens, fresh water springs, firewood, and ancient survival skills helped the folks survive who where surviving. How the lucky ones were surviving was banding together in fortified strongholds to support each other and protect each other from the rest of the perverts roaming around outside the strongholds.

Individual families did not survive ... teams of individuals and their families banding together for food/shelter/security was the the key. Reminds me of what mankind has had to ultimately do to survive for millenniums.

Okay movie up until at the end where Costner wrassles' the bad guy on the ground. Was also amusing in the final showdown that the bad guys had dark horses and M-16 variants and the good guys had light horses and M1A1 rifles

crazy

Adventurer
I liked the part in Postman when the old man volunteers. It cracked me up when he said, "I know stuff."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles