Oshkosh P-19 Crash Truck

jdlobb

Adventurer
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8123287&convertTo=USD

So this has gone up for sale. I've spent countless hours driving one of these vehicles and have to say it's one of the most capable off-roading vehicles I've ever seen.

It would be absolutely AMAZING to convert one into an expedition vehicle. Just taking out the water tank, pump, and dry chemical extinguisher system would open up an enormous amount or room in the vehicle.

I know it's crazy, but man it would be cool.

61260817.jpg

61260813.jpg

justfred

Adventurer
Sold for $3,600.00. Seems like a hell of a deal if you had cash to build it, a place to put it, and lived where you could register it!

rallygabe

Observer
I think you could register that in most states...though it may have to be commercial considering the GVW. One of my college buddies works for Rosenbuaer and whenever I have stopped by I have similar thoughts like "that would be a great expo rig"

Although he did the design/layout work for their new 4x4 model fire rigs and he says they are aweful to drive. just sayin'
He did mention that the ARFF units are much better off road though!

jdlobb

Adventurer
I think you could register that in most states...though it may have to be commercial considering the GVW. One of my college buddies works for Rosenbuaer and whenever I have stopped by I have similar thoughts like "that would be a great expo rig"

Although he did the design/layout work for their new 4x4 model fire rigs and he says they are aweful to drive. just sayin'
He did mention that the ARFF units are much better off road though!

ARFF vehicles will go anywhere you want off road. I've driven a P-19 in places that even the most built rock crawling jeep would look at and say f-no.

I can only imagine that it would be even better if it's not carrying 8,000 lbs of water, 500 lbs of dry chem, and another few thousand pounds of pumps and tanks. You could probably cut the weight by close to 20k pounds just by removing the fire fighting equipment.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Do you have any specs for it?

Most fire trucks are not geared for cruising. They are geared for low end and are on or near the governor at the posted legal freeway speed.

This will kill the fuel milage.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Do you have any specs for it?

Most fire trucks are not geared for cruising. They are geared for low end and are on or near the governor at the posted legal freeway speed.

This will kill the fuel milage.

Airport Crash trucks aren't geared the same, because of the nature of airport firefighting you have to be able to achieve very high speed chasing aircraft down the runways. The P-19 will top out close to 100mph, although I do not recommend doing that.

Gas milage is doing to suck regardless though.

jdlobb

Adventurer
dug out the ol' pocket notebook with all of my specs for different fire department vehicles, here's what I have for the P-19

Acceleration : 0-50 in 25s
Top Speed: 65 mph (this is the official spec, it's simply wrong)
Gradability: 60%
Weight loaded: 32,100lb (16,050 front, 16050 rear)
Weight empty: 22,760lb (10,600 front, 12,160 rear)
Cubic feet: 1858.8 ft3
Length: 325 in
Width 96in
Height: 120in
Reducible height: 102in
Ground clearance: 13in
angle of approach: 30 degrees
Turning circle: 80ft

Engine:

Make: Cummings
Model: NTC400
Type: 4 Stroke, inline 6 diesel
Displacement: 855 IN3
Compression Ratio 14.0:1
HP: 400
Torque: 1250 ft-lb
Oil Cap: 11gal
Idle: 600-650 rpm
Gov speed: 2,100 rpm

Fuel system
Tank capacity: 42 GAL
Primary fuel: Diesel
Alternative fuels: JP-4, JP-5, JP-8

Transmission
Make: Detroid diesel allison
Model: HT 750 DRD
Type: 5 speed auto with lock-up torque converter
Oil capacity: 8.00 gal
Ratios: 5th - 1.00:1, 4th - 1.38:1, 3rd - 2.01:1, 2nd - 3.19:1, 1st - 7.97:1, Rev - 4.72:1

electrical:
Output 100amp
Lighting: 24V
Starting: 24V
Batteries: two 24V

captwoody

Adventurer
I was an Air force fireman-old school Chanute 57150. Drove some of the first p-19's made in King Salmon AK .They are a 100mph vehicle, and the best I have seen was probably 6mpg and the best off road ARFF truck I have ever driven.(p-2,p-4,p-15,MB1,MB5,MB1000,Walters,E-1 Titans,t1500's,t3000's,Coletts and Rosies) but better than a jeep not a chance. And for reference I still make my living with ARFF vehicles being a captain at Ontario International Airport.We Mutual Aid our T1500 in the mountains during large events and anything more than fire roads would be asking for a rollover or torn out air lines.No air truck wont move as air holds brakes open. Great mud , snow , and sand trucks rocks not so much and if you are using diff lock in rocks you can shear axles095.jpg095.jpg

Last edited:

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I have seen one of those burried up to the frame in mud trying to reach a downed aircraft. Took two days for it to dry out enough to get a crane in to get it out.

captwoody

Adventurer
They are a 30,000 + lb truck so they do have limitations but with diff lock engaged I drove thru waist deep tundra mud in Alaska without issues to get to a down DC3 . so were you the driver? and did you have diff locked. most of the time when I saw crash trucks stuck it was operator error or mechanical problems. These are very high maintenance vehicles due to cold starts, stomp on accelerator once air pressure is up, drive at high rate of speed, then idle long periods of time .

BuckShotJim

Found this thread recently. Not sure if anyone else went this route, but I did :) Pretty awesome machine. Prepping for expedition rig conversion right now by removing all the fire service appurtenances. Some cool features so far... Engine in the back so its a quiet ride, 400 hp cummins, all aluminum construciton so its not heavy for the size, geared for high speed (70+ MPH as well as low speed), auto locking diffs, etc...IMG_2804.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles