Oshkosh P-19 Crash Truck

BuckShotJim

Do you have any specs for it?

Most fire trucks are not geared for cruising. They are geared for low end and are on or near the governor at the posted legal freeway speed.

This will kill the fuel milage.
Cool thing about this rig is geared for higher speed. Cruses at 70mph at with low RPMs

BuckShotJim

Found this thread recently. Not sure if anyone else went this route, but I did :) Pretty awesome machine. Prepping for expedition rig conversion right now by removing all the fire service appurtenances. Some cool features so far... Engine in the back so its a quiet ride, 400 hp cummins, all aluminum construciton so its not heavy for the size, geared for high speed (70+ MPH as well as low speed), auto locking diffs, etc...View attachment 668101
6CFFE879-2C6B-486D-BAEC-91666195D3EB.jpeg
Getting the tanks off…

Attachments

• 9C432888-2694-4BD7-ABE2-6F839A787677.jpeg
    9C432888-2694-4BD7-ABE2-6F839A787677.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 151
  • F0724CB4-E309-45FA-AC36-9C0BCE7D9270.jpeg
    F0724CB4-E309-45FA-AC36-9C0BCE7D9270.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 141

Ridge Wood

Awesome this is really cool, what is the ground clearance like and how much space do you have in between the cab and the motor?

mr_ed

Toolbag
I've always thought this would be super cool as well...awesome to see folks actually building them out!

If you ever DID get it stuck, you wouldn't be able to rely on the next cute little Wrangler with a 9k winch to come along and pull you out...but then lots of folks do this in Fuso's, Mogs, MAN KATS, etc; they would be subject to the same issue, and that doesn't seem to deter them!

I'll be following your builds for sure!

BuckShotJim

I found that a 12 ft ambulance box fits nicely.
View attachment 677454
Nice... Mine is slow as well. Found some newer tires I was able to grab from a warehouse which was nice. The ambulance box looks great. I hope to go for some more room. Right now I'm working on installing just an temp truck camper so I can get it registered as an RV conversion and then can take it places for working on it and testing. I did bust a U-Joint yoke in some heavy drifted snow, but I think the Yoke had a flaw in it.

Snoutandabout

Is it, for your purposes, worth the effort of removing the fire apparatus, electrical, pumps, etc compared to building off a clean military 4x4 chassis? What's the connection between the engine and the pump like? The arff platform has piqued my interest for use as an overland platform because of the rear mounted engine, existing transmission gearing, and engine performance, rigid frame, cab condition, fairly readily available at decent prices, as well as pure aesthetics. I'm currently engineering a custom Hab that I will be building primarily on my own and I'm wondering if I want to add the labor required to get to a clean foundation. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope your builds are going well for you.

mr_ed

Toolbag
Is it, for your purposes, worth the effort of removing the fire apparatus, electrical, pumps, etc compared to building off a clean military 4x4 chassis? What's the connection between the engine and the pump like? The arff platform has piqued my interest for use as an overland platform because of the rear mounted engine, existing transmission gearing, and engine performance, rigid frame, cab condition, fairly readily available at decent prices, as well as pure aesthetics. I'm currently engineering a custom Hab that I will be building primarily on my own and I'm wondering if I want to add the labor required to get to a clean foundation. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope your builds are going well for you.

I would love to know how much weight savings could be had by stripping all the ARFF related equipment and getting down to just cab, chassis, and powertrain. All those pumps, plumbing, valves, and tanks can't be lightweight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles