Oregon's new ATV Education card requirement

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Riding offroad on Oregon public lands will require an ATV education card. This applies to the motorcycles as well:
Q: I ride a dirt bike in Oregon. Am I required to complete the online ATV safety education course? A: Yes. On August 15, 2007, Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski signed into law a bill requiring safety education for all persons operating a Class I (ATV or quad) or Class III (dirt bike) All-Terrain Vehicle for recreational purposes on public lands. Training requirements will be phased in over in a period from 2009 to 2014. Starting January 1, 2009, all youth 15 years of age and younger must complete online safety training. Since these youth must also be supervised by an adult who is at least 18 years old while riding in Oregon, any adult supervising a youth must also complete the online safety course starting January 1, 2009.
New safety laws are now in effect for operating quads and three-wheel ATVs (Class I ATVs) and off-road motorcycles (Class III ATVs) on lands open to public use. In order to make training as convenient as possible, the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department now offers this free safety and education program and certification online on this website.
http://www.rideatvoregon.org/

The following exemptions apply.
If you are coming into Oregon from another state or country, you can meet the safety education requirements by completing an ATV Safety Education Course in your resident state or country and carrying proof of completion on your person when riding on lands open for public use.

If renting an ATV or off-road motorcycle, you can meet the safety education requirements by completing a safety checklist administered by the rental business and carrying proof of completion on your person when riding on lands open for public use. The safety checklist is a temporary 30-day operator permit.

If purchasing a new or used ATV or off-road motorcycle from an authorized dealer in Oregon, you can meet the safety education requirements by completing a safety checklist administered by the dealer and carrying proof of completion on your person when riding on lands open for public use. The safety checklist is a temporary 30-day operator permit. Following this 30-day period, you will need to complete the online ATV Safety Education Course and carry an ATV Safety Education Card when riding on lands open for public use.

This is much the same way the Boater's Education card program started. It was done free at first. Then the charges for courses and materials came into play. I would suggest going to the link above, register and take the course. It can be completed in a couple hours. If you plan to ride offroad in Oregon, you will need this eventually.
I see the education valuable and the time worthwhile. My son is eight years old and passed the course with very few clarifications. At the very least, get your card so that you can be available to help the younger generation continue our offroad dreams.

We need to get the word out to all those who may ride. Getting the card is free right now. Even if you think you may never, having the key to open the door is still a good thing.

Got mine on Jan 2nd, the day after the course went live. I figured that I might as well get it while it's free, and by 2014, all ATV riders (regardless of age or ATV class (I or III)) will be required to have the cert. to legally ride on public lands in Oregon. Not to mention other states that already have this sort of law in affect, will likely share reciprocity with Oregon licensure (much like driver's licenses), so if required to have an ATV license in another state, I'll be covered. One of the interesting points on the back of the card- "Anyone with a suspended driver's license also loses the right to operate an ATV on lands open for public use"- sounds pretty reasonable to me.

T

Totenkopf

Government control, limiting personal liberties. "Man's personal rights do not supercede in his 'ego' beyond the collective" or some crap. The way I view it, this goes right along with me paying some loser's mortgage and getting taxed extra to pay for the new welfare state being created. Give an inch and the marxists will take a mile.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
While I do not believe in ledgislated strangulation, I do not feel strangled in this case. I think there was a concern raised and the intent was to do something about it to help. With the huge rise in ATV ownership there came an increase in injuries. Not everyone came from a rural setting where ATV use is common place and kids all learned to ride growing up.
Maybe much of the stuff is common sense, but actually checking the rider for fit before letting them ride may get over looked. Having an adult ride with a youngster should be a given, but perhaps that too was something that did not always occur.

I don't really see there being an issue where the cards are being checked everywhere. I would imagine that it is something that will be asked for when purchasing a vehicle permit, or in areas where those permits are required.

I don't know if I will feel any safer knowing that everyone is supposed to have received some sort of education. I do think that it is a step that will help someone, some time. The intent is good. Enact a safety program to reduce injuries. Make it free to all. A one time "inconvenience".

If there are those that disagree and refuse to get their card, they may do so and ride on private lands. Farmers and ranchers are exempt from this where it relates to their business uses.

As mandated safety programs go, this one is not bad, IMO. It is actually a little surprising that Oregon did not try to "one-up" themselves again by adding gross restrictions. Usually they try to add their own twist to a program to be that much "better" than the "other" states program.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Well, for what it's worth, I don't agree with Totenkopf at all and I think this program is a step in the right direction for ATVs.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Heading towards the marxist eutopia.

Do you have a drivers lic? Are you against those?
Do you have a hunting or fishing lic?

What are YOU doing to help with the land abuse issue? What are YOU doing to educate & mentor youth in your area?

I am also a libertarian but over time I realize that concept only works when people care enough to take the responsibilty for themselves & their offspring. In our current society people demand that the gov do everything for them so we have to meet that demand.

Oh and since ATV's have been around for decades it is the public's own fault for letting this happen. Plenty of time for self regulation, education and responsible use.

Anytime you have a single person with the ability to harm others or the common public property there is a responsiblity to the public for responsible use. If that person will not take resposibility for themselves then the public can & should force that responsibiity on the person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles